I have a LG 34UM64-P 60hz, when I overclock it to 75hz it...

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
NitroViper

I have a LG 34UM64-P 60hz, when I overclock it to 75hz it...

Post by NitroViper » 18 Oct 2017, 06:05

Ok I have the LG 34UM64-P

It's 60hz stock but I have had it overclocked for a while to 75hz. I just recently found this site and was looking at some of the tests.

When I choose (compare multiple framerates) the UFO's seem smoother at 60hz than 75hz, (less stutter) not sure of the right word.

When I do the (ghosting pursuit camera) test the 60hz moves across the screen smooth while when I set my monitor to 75hz it seems to go faster and is jumpy.

In Nvidia control panel I overclock it to 75hz and the UFO is like this - - - - - - - - - - - - - 60hz is like this ----------------- alot smoother. If that makes sense lol.

Should I just game at 60hz? or am I overclocking to 75hz wrong?

I actually just bought a LG 34UC79G-B 144hz monitor and am sending it back, didn't care for it at all. I did notice it was a little smoother but wasnt worth the $550 upgrade. Had ALOT of light bleed and my current monitor has zero and more clear.

PC specs incase anyone needs to know for framerate issues.
Ryzen 1700x
Asus x370 prime pro mobo
GTX 1080
16gb DDR4 3200

STATS from LG website for LG 34UM64-P

FREQUENCY
Digital (V-Frequency) 56~75Hz(HDMI (AV) 56~61Hz)
HDMI (V-Frequency) 56~75Hz (AV 56~61Hz)
DisplayPort (V-Frequency) 56~75Hz (AV 56~61Hz)

zermak

Re: I have a LG 34UM64-P 60hz, when I overclock it to 75hz i

Post by zermak » 18 Oct 2017, 07:16

Have you tried the skipping frames test while using 75Hz? Try to lower it a something like 72Hz.

And I am curious, do you really didn't notice any improvement with a 144Hz strobed backlighing monitor? :o
That's very weird considering that you notice the smoothness thanks to the bump in HZ already on desktop just moving the mouse around.

NitroViper

Post by NitroViper » 18 Oct 2017, 08:41

I cant do the skipping frame test because I only have a phone camera.

In one out of like 5 games I tried I noticed it MIGHT be a little smoother. Sure wasnt worth the $500+ upgrade. Especially since I already have a 34in ultrawide. I thought it might be more drastic.

Right now im more interested in why these UFO tests look more smooth on 60hz than 75! 60 moves nice and smooth across the screen while 75hz kind of skips/jumps forward.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Oct 2017, 14:11

Frame skipping test at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping works with all modern phone cameras.
Android, iPhone, etc.

That is the correct test that you need to do now.
1. Click http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
2. Maximize window
3. Wait for green "READY"
4. Point your phone fitting the whole screen in the photo and press the touchcreen shutter button.
5. Look at the resulting photo.
6. If only 2 squares are exposed, dim your screen (adjust screen brightness downwards) then repeat step 4/5/6.
7. Upload the photo as an attachment to your next forum reply.
8. Done. :)

It's really surprisingly easy. You want to get approximately 10 illuminated squares in your photo, give or take several (common range). Doesn't have to be exactly that number. The more squares, the better, to a point. (When the monitor is too dim & squares is too dim). But most smartphones does an amazing job of capturing between 5 and 20 squares, on the second try. Then you check to see if the squares are contiguous (calendar style) -- if it is contiguous -- you are not frame skipping.

You are probably frame skipping, meaning your monitor is probably throwing away about 20% of the refresh cycles -- displaying only 60 out of 75. Skipped frames = stutter. (Any skipped frames even create stutter. 115fps@120Hz stutters too. You need "framerate equals refreshrate" or an even multiple, to remove stutters.)

Android works, iPhone works. Even rare phones such as BlackBerry or Microsoft Lumia works too. The exposure-length suggestion is only a guideline, but you can simply darken screen (Screen Brightness Down) to force the phone camera to take longer exposures. Problem solved. (And even so, there's apps on Google Play and Apple App World, that allows you to set your exposure length -- works on almost any phone manufactured in the last 3 years -- but it's not necessary; you can simply use Screen Brightness.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NitroViper

Post by NitroViper » 18 Oct 2017, 17:50

Thanks for the help, here is the pictures I hope I did it right.

So the results show frame skipping? Is it possible to see the empty square just looking at the tests? I can see the skips without a camera.

I lowered the overclock going 1hz at a time, the only Hz I can get without a skip is 60hz.

Should I just play my games on 60hz then? :(

scroll down on the attachment I posted 3 pics.
fm.jpg (146.87 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

zermak

Post by zermak » 18 Oct 2017, 19:37

Yes, you are frameskipping. If you can see it by eyes then it's very obvious and you should play at 60Hz cause you would not have any benefit from 75Hz while not being able to see all the frames.

Talking about you returned monitor. I would have give it more time to test it, maybe you didn't set it up properly.

I can see huges advanges just going from 60Hz to 144Hz rate and even more with the strobed backlighting that add clearness to moving images.

NitroViper

Post by NitroViper » 18 Oct 2017, 20:58

I spent all day trying to set it up correctly. The backlight bleed drove me crazy. This monitor I have now the text and everything is much more clear with zero bleed. Even tho they basically are very close to the same thing besides the Hz difference and curved screen.