240hz monitor for CSGO

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
aexit66

240hz monitor for CSGO

Post by aexit66 » 23 Oct 2017, 09:01

Hey every1, ive been reading many threads already and I do know there is a recent one regarding my inquiry but I just cant decide and I wont be able to return the monitor once I purchase 1 for some reasons...

Im a professional CS:GO player in my country and I currently use the BENQ XL2411Z but I really wanna upgrade but I just read so many diff opinions on wether I should be getting G SYNC or ULMB or even free sync I just cant decide... Also what pushes me back is the bad reviews most monitors are getting regarding the colours and stuff... I just want the best possible colors with the lowest input lag possible... I need the "fastest monitor" for this game.. not even sure how to describe but I guess you know what I mean...

I see people saying the BENQ is the best one for FPS games but no G - SYNC... which sucks because I wanted to play PUBG as well and it feels horrible with this monitor cuz Im getting less than 144 fps it feels like as if I was playin on a 60hz monitor... so G- SYNC would ocme handy with this game but I also get to read that G SYNC is useless for CSGO ..... I play 80% of times CSGO, 20% PUBG...

I was about to purchase the ASUS monitor but I read a review on here where the colours were horrible and many other bad things by this member... ppl say its a panel lottery but idk..

Not to mention it must be a 24.5 monitor,

Im thinking about the ASUS PG258Q, BENQ 2540/2546, or the ACER one...

I just want good colours and the lowest input lag and the most powerful monitor for FPS/CSGO games...

As long as its not worse thn my current XL2411Z Ill take it. lol

lexlazootin

Re: 240hz monitor for CSGO

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Oct 2017, 10:17

The Acer or the Asus one.

All of the 240hz use the same panel and the G-Sync ones use the same chips, you will be getting identical performance with any G-Sync 240hz. I have the Acer one and i love it. The only reason i went with the Acer is because it was $100 cheaper then the Asus, they both have PRETTY identical on screen displays.
with this game but I also get to read that G SYNC is useless for CSGO
This is simply not true, you can cap CS:GO at 236fps (Somewhere below maximum refresh rate) and get all the benefits of G-Sync with no tearing and no added latency. It's the way i pretty much play all my games now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 240hz monitor for CSGO

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2017, 17:36

We found our tests shows that you will get less CS:GO input lag at 100fps@240Hz than 100fps@144Hz via full-screen-first-response measurement. That form of lag-testing (high speed camera) is more eSports-lag-revealing than single-sensor-point photodiode (Leo Bodnar style) since different parts of the screen refreshes at different times. So 240Hz (even with GSYNC / FreeSync / ULMB turned off) is still a winner against 144Hz.

Also, since BenQ often calibrates for bleached gamma (brighter shadows for easier eSports), sometimes that is contrary to the goal of good colors. Most 240Hz monitors will have better colors at default settings, though for CS:GO you may sometimes want to brighten the shadows with the monitor's picture adjustments.

Decision whether or not to use GSYNC/FreeSync in competitive gaming
For GSYNC/FreeSync, they are definitely very useful in many games in eSports once you begin playing games that have typical framerates lower than the max rate. GSYNC/FreeSync doesn't help CS:GO because CS:GO often runs above refresh rate. But GSYNC/FreeSync makes a bigger difference for PUBG (Player Unknown BattleGrounds) since it often runs at framerates well within the VRR range. So many gamers turn on VRR for lower-framerate games and turn off VRR for higher-framerate games.

Decision whether or not to use ULMB/strobing in competitive gaming
ULMB helps certain games -- but not all of them. ULMB helps Rocket League more than CS:GO for example. It's Right Tool For The Right Job: HOWTO: Properly Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively. Just make sure you have very bright ULMB strobing (not dim LightBoost). The ASUS PG258Q, BenQ XL2546, Acer PG252Q, all have relatively bright strobe modes (300 nits) which helps makes them much more eSports-useful than old dim LightBoost monitors.

Other games than CS:GO can benefit more from GSYNC/ULMB
CS:GO runs at super-high framerates so that sometimes diminishes the benefits of the extra features, and some eSports players understandably turn those off -- for good reason. But not all games are CS:GO. You may not always be playing CS:GO all your life. If you play games that force eye movements (e.g. no crosshairs), ULMB may actually help more than CS:GO. If you play games that fluctuate framerates wildly but infrequently caps-out at max-Hz (e.g. games that bounce 50-200fps, like PUBG), GSYNC will help that game more than CS:GO that often caps-out at max-Hz.

The good news is:
-- You can turn ON/OFF GSYNC
-- You can turn ON/OFF ULMB
240Hz is sweet for competitive, no matter which 240Hz monitor, less lag at 100fps@240Hz than 100fps@144Hz, so you win anyway. You get access to "right tool for the right game".
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!