Pg258q vs Xl2546 vs Pg278qr

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
leonman44

Pg258q vs Xl2546 vs Pg278qr

Post by leonman44 » 31 Oct 2017, 15:04

Hello guys I really need your knowledge because I have a really bad time getting a decent fast panel :cry:

I own a Pg248q , yes its very fast and it has the lowest input lag I have ever experienced at 180hz but the panel is pure junk , I get scanlines at the whole left panel , I get moving artifacts due to the gsync , backs turns grey and extreme clouding at 180hz , I have rma'ed 3 times and tested 2 new monitors and only 1 was more decent but still unacceptable for me , so they will be sending me a new one again and I wont even open It , just sell it...

I just want this monitor only for gaming (I play competitive and fps mainly , racing and some horror games)

Now I need a new panel but I really don't wont problems with it , I have 3 monitors in my mind:

1) Pg258q
Pos: 240hz , native display=as perfect as it can be

Cons: some people reported some very visible pixel inversion (horizontal lines) and in measurements it seems that it has more input lag + slower pixel response than both pg248q and pg278qr

2) Xl2546
Pos: 240hz , native display=as perfect as it can be , strobing at 240hz?!

Cons: no gsync , cant find enough reviews for it so I don't know if it has any sort of problems , costs as much as pg258q which is a gsync monitor.

3)Pg278qr
My fps will drop due to the higher resolution , I will need to upgrade more frequently and I don't have the budget for that.

So what do you think guys? Any additional suggestion is welcome! :D

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Pg258q vs Xl2546 vs Pg278qr

Post by RealNC » 31 Oct 2017, 16:18

It seems that if you buy anything that's made for "competitive" gaming/esports, you can expect image quality issues :-/

If you're stuck with 1080p, people seem to have good results with this 144Hz 27" VA panel monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I0NF8RI?tag=blurbust-20

TFTCentral has a review on it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ace ... conclusion

Since it's a VA panel, your horror games will look especially good ;-) VA panels have an advantage in very dark scenes (games AND movies) and they look good, while TN panels look very washed out and IPS has some glow. Also, a bit like IPS, VA should mostly be free of artifacts like scanlines/inversion.

However, if you're serious about competitive esports (meaning you're making money by competing), then you might want to keep your current monitor to play competitively, and use the Acer for everything else. Although you might have to disconnect one or other, because dual monitor setups seem to be problematic with g-sync monitors.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 31 Oct 2017, 17:08

Well I am already on a dual setup , my second screen is a Samsung S24D590L PLS 1080p panel and its very decent , it was my first monitor and kept it for my browsing + movies. What I really liked on tn is the "1ms" pixel response even if I set both of my monitors at 60hz the tn has noticeably clearer image than my 5ms pls during motion.
VA panels indeed has amazing blacks but they come with slower pixel responses + the 27' at 1080p is a little blurry for my taste but definitely not a bad monitor.

So if would change my monitor with a Pg258q wouldn't be better in terms of quality and perfection? I mean I don't search for good color production either viewing angles I did already sacrifice all this to get a fast panel. :roll:

I still remember that 144hz 24' Lg, it had very good colors + no problem at all , great for tn but no gsync-freesync , why is that hard to make a good one at 2017?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Nov 2017, 11:04

There are many good monitors. The issue is that if you're looking for "competitive" monitors, don't expect them to look good. They are designed to be as fast as possible, not to have good image quality.

Also, 27" 1080p is not blurry at all. It is 100% sharp. It is more grainy than 24", not blurry. I have a 27" 1080p lying around, and for games and movies, it's perfectly fine. For the deskop, the graininess makes the fonts look uglier compared to 24".
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

open

Post by open » 01 Nov 2017, 12:49

I have the pg258q and am very happy with it however I can confirm that it does have some line patterns due to the FRC color control on the monitor. This is just an issue with the high refresh rate monitors. They use 6 bit and alternate the values to average into 8 bit colors. Obviously the higher the refresh rate of the monitor the less noticeable it is. And the pg258q is a 240hz monitor with good colors so it would be less noticeable than the pg248q for sure. But you will still notice it if you set the refresh rate lower or are using gsync with very low framerates. You can also notice it some times when your eye flicks. Its the same effect as when you stare at a fast ceiling fan it will look blury. But if you flick your eye or trigger a fast vision reaction you will see a still image of that fan in one postition. Using ULMB or some effects that pulse images every other frame can make it stand out.

All in all I only really notice it due to my eye being trained for it with so many hours of monitor use. And to me its perfectly fine. If it was more noticeable it might affect my experience but all in all its just very slight and its worth it for a good 240hz monitor.

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 01 Nov 2017, 15:48

Well , i used today a 27 samsung curved 144hz at the internet cafe , the size was nice but didnt really liked the pixelated quality , i would say 27 is only worth it for 1440p. Well using the term "quality" i dont mean good color reproduction , Pg279q is considered one of the highest quality because it is 144hz ips + gsync but if you look at black screen pics theres not a single unit without blb... :roll:

How was the pg258q in terms of uniformity , my pg248q is noticeably brighter at the right side and dimmer at the left side+ the scanlines , specially left top is very dark and makes that yellow tint at white screen, i could really see the difference from 120hz to 180hz so i might be able to get some more smoothness-speed with 240hz/240fps :D

The truth is that i need the gsync because in some really heavy games i can get as low as 120fps (but no lower than this) , i dont have a reason to not directly choose 240hz and stay there but how bad is it with 240hz +gsync with 120fps?

I can really get with one not very noticeable problem but i cant keep with this unacceptable pg248q , it has 5 major flaws that makes me sick :mrgreen:

One more consideration is the new Pg27vq 165hz but in lims cave review showed some bad blb due to the curved panel + the pg258q's pixel inversion using gsync.

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 11 Nov 2017, 11:02

Today I returned my pg248q to the local shop for a full refund as asus instracted me. :D

Now it's just the pg258q vs pg278qr
I am leaning toward the 240hz panel because 1080p is easier to drive + I have my 2nd 24' Samsung pls for everything else but from the other hand the 27' 1440p might deliver better experience for casual games. Tough decision guys!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Nov 2017, 17:57

leonman44 wrote:Cons: some people reported some very visible pixel inversion (horizontal lines) and in measurements it seems that it has more input lag + slower pixel response than both pg248q and pg278qr
All the "more input lag" reports are all at 60Hz. However, most of us don't use 60Hz.

While future 240Hz may have end up having less lag than today's 240Hz due to further improvements, almost any 240Hz monitors currently give you the world's lowest overall real-world lag possible when running in 240Hz mode -- especially extremely tight lag spread (min/max/average) thanks to very fine-granularity in the refresh cycles.

Having only ~4.1ms (1/240) granularity in the refresh cycles still makes a quite a noticeable difference in aiming. Jumping from 120Hz to 240Hz (8.3ms-vs-4.1ms) gives you almost as much granularity-improvement as jumping from 125Hz mouse to 500Hz mouse (8ms-vs-2ms) -- almost everybody could tell the difference in mouse fluidity in better aiming abilities. It may not be as big as the 60Hz->120Hz jump (monitor) but it's still quite a noticeable jump in "aim solidness feel".

Currently, this is the biggest difference when it comes to input lag with 240Hz, especially if CS:GO is a major reason you're buying a new monitor. And 240Hz isn't overclocked like 180Hz, so you don't get the cloudiness you sometimes get from 180Hz overclocks.

That said, 1440p does have other benefits. It all depends on your priorities. But keep this in mind, the extra input lag of reducing framerate (via 1080p->1440p) is a bigger lag increase than the monitor's 60Hz mode (because it's not the world's lowest lag 60Hz -- but still lower lag than the average HDTV) if you plan to connect any consoles in a super-competitive environment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!