Asus PG258Q vertical scanlines

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus PG258Q vertical scanlines

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Nov 2017, 12:30

I'm not yet sure IPS is yet ready for 240Hz. Yet. Technically, it's possible. Just that ghosting starts to smear things sooner on IPS than on TN. Ghosting from the GtG brick walls pulls the diminishing-points-of-returns much earlier than it does for TN. That's really seen when going 144Hz->165Hz on current 165Hz overclockable IPS monitors.

5ms GtG versus 1ms GtG did not matter for 60 Hertz but it is a huge difference in the Hertz stratosphere and creates a brick-wall in the diminishing-points-of-returns. If only panel limitations didn't block the way to 1000Hz (which is indeed worthwhile), already, yesterday! ;)

There are people here very happy with their monitor despite effects like the faint-scanlines effect, while it bothers others. Same for TN viewing angles or IPS glow issues, but also goes for more obscure issues like inversion artifacts or scanlines artifacts. Everyone is sensitive to different things. I can understand it is annoying to have a specific panel flaw, no matter how faint. That said, it is really a personal decision to decide if you want to switch a specific flaw (like this) for a different set of flaws (that might be improved for you) since it's hard to say what flaws you can put up with. We'd love flawless ultrabright OLED HDR, but we can't get that today.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 27 Jun 2018, 11:05

i have the same monitor and cannot noticing this issue
or maybe i have the same issue but not easy to notice
how can i check if my monitor have the same vertical scanlines issue or not ?

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 28 Jun 2018, 01:32

ok
i noticed the pixel inversion issue only with the witcher 3, if i adjust the sharpening settings to high

noticed the vertical lines on the sky white areas more visible, like the clouds, and the Beige areas like the rocks and the buildings

(low,off) sharpenning no more pixel inversion noticeable

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 28 Jun 2018, 06:03

with low hertz more vertical scanlines are appreciated, but I tested 3 monitors PG258Q and saw that some made that effect more than others.

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 28 Jun 2018, 07:09

Lucifer wrote:with low hertz more vertical scanlines are appreciated, but I tested 3 monitors PG258Q and saw that some made that effect more than others.
do you mean vertical scanline issue affected the 3 monitors but with different levels ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Jun 2018, 07:43

ahmedpc03 wrote:
Lucifer wrote:with low hertz more vertical scanlines are appreciated, but I tested 3 monitors PG258Q and saw that some made that effect more than others.
do you mean vertical scanline issue affected the 3 monitors but with different levels ?
LCD technology, unfortunately, has some inherent manufacturing variance. So it's actually not unheard of to get a panel with a bad scanline issue while another monitor of the same exact model can have almost none of that. This is known as "panel lottery."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 28 Jun 2018, 08:37

ahmedpc03 wrote:
yes, in one I saw more the effect than in the others. In one it was hard to see, and in another it was so much that the image became very dirty. sorry for my bad English.

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 28 Jun 2018, 14:56

Lucifer wrote:
ahmedpc03 wrote:
yes, in one I saw more the effect than in the others. In one it was hard to see, and in another it was so much that the image became very dirty. sorry for my bad English.
got it dont worry :)

my english is also so bad

wev got the point

so its realy pointless that a high end monitor like that costly, found a realy annoying issues

i just want to wait from the others to give us an advice about tn monitors that doesn't have this issue

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jun 2018, 17:54

If you hate the vertical lines issue, get IPS. Problem solved.

TN panels are better for response (and usually better blur reduction) and lag but you have to live with more risk of LCD inversion artifacts (to an extent).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 29 Jun 2018, 04:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you hate the vertical lines issue, get IPS. Problem solved.

TN panels are better for response (and usually better blur reduction) and lag but you have to live with more risk of LCD inversion artifacts (to an extent).
the problem for me that i dont wont to buy in ips monitor, cause there is no 1080p 144hz, and thats realy strange

1440p with gtx 1070 well get about 70 to 50 fps in games if i used the maximum settings which well be too much motion blur and well be no benefit to get a 144hz monitor.

or purchase it with 1080ti, but it well be too much costly :(

gsync is important for me, i was tried to play without it but it well be too much tearing even with high frame rate.

so if there is a tn monitor 1080p 144hz gsync without the vertical lines issue would be a better choice for me

what about the ultra wide 1080p dell AW3418HW, is it good?