Asus PG258Q vertical scanlines

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lucifer

Asus PG258Q vertical scanlines

Post by Lucifer » 07 Nov 2017, 21:52

Hi. I bought this monitor recently, and I see that shows vertical scanlines effect at low refresh rate.

Are they all like this or do I have a defective unit?

I can only see it from 60Hz down.

in this video you can see a little the effect:

phpBB [video]

sorry for my bad English

lexlazootin

Re: Asus PG258Q vertical scanlines

Post by lexlazootin » 08 Nov 2017, 04:38

100% normal, it happens on mine.

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 08 Nov 2017, 07:43

normal? It is very annoying :(

open

Post by open » 08 Nov 2017, 15:13

this is the frc. It is pulsing colors to make shades that the 6bit panel would otherwise not be able to make. It does them in alternating lines so that the whole screen does not pulse. At higher framerates you don't notice because it happens faster.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Nov 2017, 15:21

Well, it's not "normal", it just means that most of these monitors are expected to be crap for normal use.

They're made for eSports. Not for normal use.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 08 Nov 2017, 17:25

open wrote:this is the frc. It is pulsing colors to make shades that the 6bit panel would otherwise not be able to make. It does them in alternating lines so that the whole screen does not pulse. At higher framerates you don't notice because it happens faster.
RealNC wrote:Well, it's not "normal", it just means that most of these monitors are expected to be crap for normal use.

They're made for eSports. Not for normal use.
Do TN 144hz monitors also has the same problem? Maybe I should buy another model.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2017, 18:49

FWIW, it happens to several models but if you want to remove the scanlines, I suggest returning the monitor & getting one of the 240 Hz monitors. Currently, the 240 Hz monitors I have tested do not have the scanlines effects.

It's normal, yes, until you pay a premium to go even better (e.g. 165 Hz IPS or 240 Hz TN).

I've seen it randomly happen to some 144 Hz monitors (panel lottery issue) but I've never (yet) seen it happen to a 240 Hz monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 08 Nov 2017, 19:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:FWIW, it happens to several models but if you want to remove the scanlines, I suggest returning the monitor & getting one of the 240 Hz monitors. Currently, the 240 Hz monitors I have tested do not have the scanlines effects.

It's normal, yes, until you pay a premium to go even better (e.g. 165 Hz IPS or 240 Hz TN).

I've seen it randomly happen to some 144 Hz monitors (panel lottery issue) but I've never (yet) seen it happen to a 240 Hz monitor.
What monitors 240Hz have you tested?
the Asus PG258Q is a 240Hz monitor, and I see scanlines with it when the refresh rate is less than 70Hz or 60Hz, but at 240Hz I do not see scanlines.
The problem is that with gsync activated the refresh rate goes down and I see scanlines

I decided to buy a TN panel because it has no ghosting effect like the 165Hz IPS panel. I have read people complaining about that problem, although I have not tested them.

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2017, 19:51

Ooops! The PG258Q. I read WAY too fast -- I thought you were referring to the 180Hz model. I had heard of the scanlines issue on the 180Hz one.

Thanks -- that's a new report! First time I heard of scanlines on the 240Hz.

I don't see scanlines on the Acer XB252Q or the Viewsonic XG2530. I've also seen the newer AOC as well. Jorim also has the XB252Q. I've also seen other people's 240Hz BenQ's. In 2018, I will have my hands on more 240Hz monitors.

Unfortunately, downgrading to 240Hz to 144Hz will always not solve the scanlines panel-lottery issue. You can carefully cherrypick a good 144Hz panel and you'll solve the issue. That said, "faint scanlines" have often been a typical artifact of TN panels. The scanlines issues have been pervasive panel-lottery issues in the world of TN-based "Better Than 60Hz" monitors. On some it's very faint and not easy to see, or only at some frame rates, and others are really objectionable. It's not objectionable to everyone, but an effect to be aware of, and that some people are sensitive to.

New revised answer:

Is it dramatic changes during frame rate fluctuations? It shouldn't be super-dramatic, and if so, could be an RMA to try another spin on the panel lottery.

If it bothers you, then, yes 165Hz IPS is an option. Yes, more ghosting and occasionally IPS glow issues, but fewer pixel-level issues (inversion artifacts, pixel patterns in solid colors, or scanline artifacts). The different tradeoffs is a personal preference.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lucifer

Post by Lucifer » 08 Nov 2017, 21:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Ooops! The PG258Q. I read WAY too fast -- I thought you were referring to the 180Hz model. I had heard of the scanlines issue on the 180Hz one.

Thanks -- that's a new report! First time I heard of scanlines on the 240Hz.

I don't see scanlines on the Acer XB252Q or the Viewsonic XG2530. I've also seen the newer AOC as well. Jorim also has the XB252Q. I've also seen other people's 240Hz BenQ's. In 2018, I will have my hands on more 240Hz monitors.

Unfortunately, downgrading to 240Hz to 144Hz will always not solve the scanlines panel-lottery issue. You can carefully cherrypick a good 144Hz panel and you'll solve the issue. That said, "faint scanlines" have often been a typical artifact of TN panels. The scanlines issues have been pervasive panel-lottery issues in the world of TN-based "Better Than 60Hz" monitors. On some it's very faint and not easy to see, or only at some frame rates, and others are really objectionable. It's not objectionable to everyone, but an effect to be aware of, and that some people are sensitive to.

New revised answer:

Is it dramatic changes during frame rate fluctuations? It shouldn't be super-dramatic, and if so, could be an RMA to try another spin on the panel lottery.

If it bothers you, then, yes 165Hz IPS is an option. Yes, more ghosting and occasionally IPS glow issues, but fewer pixel-level issues (inversion artifacts, pixel patterns in solid colors, or scanline artifacts). The different tradeoffs is a personal preference.
Sorry if I do not write much, but I do not know English and it's hard for me.
it appears the most when gsync is causing the refresh rate to fluctuate a lot in a lower range like 30-70Hz, but with a fixed refresh rate for example at 60Hz or 30Hz I also see the lines. Only with a high refresh rate I do not see the lines.

maybe I should ask for a replacement of the PG258Q, and if I have the same problem return it to the store and try the asus pg279q or the XB271HU IPS, although I hate the ghosting effect, for that reason I doubt with the IPS.
if in 2018 IPS monitors came out to 240hz I would wait

thank you very much