Looking for a good 120Hz native refresh rate TV as a monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Dan84

Looking for a good 120Hz native refresh rate TV as a monitor

Post by Dan84 » 09 Nov 2017, 16:35

Hello everyone. This is my first post at Blur Busters.

The subject title above sums it up.

I currently have a 40" Samsung 60Hz [UN40F5000AFXZA] sitting ~ two feet from my face. I am an older man and my vision is not as good as it used to be, however, I have something of a dilemma. The fastest paced game I usually play is World of Tanks and rarely first person shooters as I get older, although they can still be fun. The problem is many other people are much younger, can think faster and push keys faster than I can. High response time and input lag can have me shooting at something that is not there - a real problem.

However, my budget is limited. I understand that in 2018 120Hz 4K monitors will be released, however, very powerful video cards will be required, along with HDMI 2.1

I currently have an MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning with HDMI 2.0 [on par with an overclocked 1070 or non-overclocked 1070 Ti] and Intel i7 7700K and need to keep those because I cannot afford to upgrade. So, I am looking for a 40 to 43 inch TV as a monitor and 1080p or 1440p maximum.

I understand that there are some TVs with around 22ms input lag, and at 120Hz native refresh rate the response time would be better than what I have.

Thank you in advance.

ericl

Re: Looking for a good 120Hz native refresh rate TV as a mon

Post by ericl » 18 Nov 2017, 19:13

Someone in my family asked me the same question and I still don't have a good answer. It appears as if the best TV has a 22ms response time (except maybe OLED but then there are other issues?) with only a few TV's having native 120hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a good 120Hz native refresh rate TV as a mon

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Nov 2017, 00:32

RTINGS.com (who uses our pursuit camera invention) verifies which televisions supports native 120Hz input. We recommend them as the resource for determining which HDTVs supports true 120Hz.

Some TVs needs a Custom Resolution Utility trick to send 120Hz into them (due to EDID limits). Instructions can be found here -- though it's not overclocking anymore as more and more HDTVs officially or semi-officially supports true native 120Hz input, even if undocumented.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!