Alienware AW2518HF 240Hz Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
fartman

Alienware AW2518HF 240Hz Settings

Post by fartman » 09 Nov 2017, 17:37

Hi there,

Just got the Alienware 2518HF 240Hz, amazing clarity and sweet 240hz goodness i can definitely tell the difference from my Benq 2430T, TN panel but i dont really care about viewing angles or colour accuracy when im playing overwatch and csgo. I have an secondary IPS monitor for viewing purposes.

There isnt much proper reviews out there so im not sure how to calibrate it or what the correct settings for it would be. Any ideas?
I just set the monitor to 240hz and also set the response time to super fast in the OSD.

Thanks!

open

Re: Alienware AW2518HF 240Hz Settings

Post by open » 12 Nov 2017, 02:04

I would set the response time as high as you can without overly noticeable overshoot. You could use the blurbusters ufo monitor test to look for overshoot. It will look like colors or levels of brightness trailing the object that arent supposed to be there.

If you already have it on super fast and havent noticed anything like this then it either has a modest overdrive or a very well implemented overdrive.

Sounds like a very nice monitor. I wish I could check it out.

fartman

Post by fartman » 12 Nov 2017, 19:52

Thanks for the advice ill check out the overshoot and yes it is a very nice monitor if you have AMD or dont want gsync.

The bezels are very thin and it seems like there were drastic improvements in how they deal with motion blur in high refresh rate monitors!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Nov 2017, 20:09

open wrote:I would set the response time as high as you can without overly noticeable overshoot.
Don't you mean "as low as you can?"
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Nov 2017, 12:18

Or overdrive.

Probably what he meant, some manufacturers confusingly label overdrive adjustments with the word "response".

Overdrive higher (faster) indeed gives lower (time-wise) response......to a certain point, then it starts to overshoot, and produce corona artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!