Severe ghosting issue on Dell SE2216H

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
thoax

Severe ghosting issue on Dell SE2216H

Post by thoax » 21 Nov 2017, 17:19

Greeting everyone. I've finally found a place where I could ask about this issue that been bugging me for quite some time now. Hopefully some of you can shed some light on this.

I have bought Dell's SE2216H 21.5" 1080p 60hz 12ms monitor, and it's driving me nuts.
It's connected to a Asus GTX 1050 TI 4GB Phoenix version via brand new HDMI cabel (I've tried few, seen no improvement).

There is 2 mode actually I keep switching.
First one is nvidia control panel limited colors, monitor settings on default: standard color profile, no dynamic contrast, normal speed.
Colors look washed out, contrast is pretty much terrible but ghosting is reduced. But I know it's there and when i look for detail, I do notice it.

Second mode I use are the settings where monitor looks and performs how I'd like it to. Full color range on nvidia control panel, gaming mode with dynamic contrast, fast speed. It looks amazing when it's static. Colors, viewing angles, black is really deep. But when it moves my eyes bleed.

OSD and option on this monitor are very limited.
Changing modes i described and each option I tried did change it somewhat, but it's not nearly as I expected it to be.
Is the ghosting of this magnitude really a standard today?
Is it the IPS panel that causing this, or the response time of 12ms (I've had old Samsung monitor that I remember was 16ms, had no signs of ghosting of any kind)
Can I do anything about this software/options-wise?
Any kind of assistance is needed, thanks in advance!
Attachments
The results of mode I'd like to use for colors
The results of mode I'd like to use for colors
1.png (245.72 KiB) Viewed 3602 times

lexlazootin

Re: Severe ghosting issue on Dell SE2216H

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Nov 2017, 20:22

You shouldn't pretty much ever use limited colors, if you use the first profile with full it would look much better.

dynamic contrast is just auto adjusting the brightness when the picture gets darker, i find it extremely annoying when watching dark films and playing horror games and would recommend you to always leave it off. They often have it just to claim and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio which is just a lie.

Gaming "Profiles" are just random color changes, with maybe some contrast and saturation turned up. They're a bit useless as well.

What you're having a problem is with the pixel response, if you have it too slow it leaves ghosting behide the UFOs, if you crank it up too much you get over shoot and inverse ghosting. It sounds like "normal speed" and "fast speed" are your overdrive settings. i would recommend leaving it at what ever setting has the most reasonable amount of overdrive. If you have less contrast in the image like with the "limited" setting it is going to be easier for your pixels to switch faster.

Every monitor has this issue and your Samsung would have it aswell, it's just about how well the monitor deals with it.

thoax

Post by thoax » 22 Nov 2017, 01:57

Thank you for the reply.

I tried mixing options to find what gets me least ghosting, seems like nvidia full color range is worst trigger. Most ghosting appears when I use full range. Yeah colors looks worse but I cannot stand image trail that happens when I use it.

Limited color range on nvidia cp - response time fast - color multimedia mode: thats what gets me least ghosting. And it's a mix of 2 mode I've tried before.

It will be sustainable for now, but I'm definitely going to take upon new monitor soon.
Let me ask you real quick. Money is limited, should I go for TN panel, 1-3ms instead? This is IPS panel 12ms.
Any recommendations on this lowest price tag?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Nov 2017, 04:20

Yea, TN is much quicker. Higher refreshrate will help aswell.

If you want cheap you can get the Acer or Asus as they tend to be alright, although i would not recommend the cheaper Benqs as they have stupid overdrive and color configurations that make it look awful. Dell is also good but i think they only have 1440p G-Sync ones which might be a little more but if you can afford the G-Sync they are quite good with overdrive in general.

xeos

Post by xeos » 11 May 2021, 13:23

thoax wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 01:57
I tried mixing options to find what gets me least ghosting, seems like nvidia full color range is worst trigger. Most ghosting appears when I use full range. Yeah colors looks worse but I cannot stand image trail that happens when I use it.
Using limited color range (16..240) can improve response time on monitors that are particularly slow to make large brightness transitions, if the monitor doesn't know that you are using limited color.

Plus, the constant gray background (instead of full black) does a better job of masking the ghosting images.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but the general issue is still applicable today
Measure display input lag the cheap way or the best way (IMHO, but I'm biased).