Acer XB252Q GARBAGE or just a faulty panel..

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
nrns

Acer XB252Q GARBAGE or just a faulty panel..

Post by nrns » 22 Nov 2017, 12:43

Well I got this monitor 1 week ago Acer Predator XB252Q
I was thinking okay its kinda blurry and worse than my 100$ LG from like 4-5 years, but there are some black squares on black images, overall its like on small squares, on any colours, the colours are really bad and greenish I would say, it lags on 1080/1440p I think its faulty panel .. what would you say?? Looks really bad for the price, i know its a TN panel but it CAN NOT be that worse
TLDR : Choppy, bad colours, choppy on 1080/1440p , is the panel faulty or ?? Can't be that bad.

laped

Re: Acer XB252Q GARBAGE or just a faulty panel..

Post by laped » 22 Nov 2017, 16:22

I got an XB252Q but cant understand what you are saying. Can you maybe take a picture of it instead?

nrns

Post by nrns » 22 Nov 2017, 17:17

laped wrote:I got an XB252Q but cant understand what you are saying. Can you maybe take a picture of it instead?
https://prnt.sc/hdzgf3 things like that on black colours, and overall there are like small small squares everywhere.. it looks blurry and on squares on anything I watch, wathcing a 720p/1080p video is just painful, looks really really bad, my old LG for 100 bucks which was 5 years old had better quality, that's not normal I am pretty sure, also it's really green
that's a 720p video http://prntscr.com/hdzikl looks awful, 5 times worse than with my old monitor
also on white colours the monitor looks exactly like this https://prnt.sc/hdziuv a tons of small squares, that's my camera though but the monitor is like this, I just can not capture it with camera.. that are the issues I am facing

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Nov 2017, 07:33

This monitor is for esports, not for normal use. Image quality is not a high priority with this monitor.

If you want good image quality, do not buy 240Hz monitors at this time. Or use two monitors. One for esports, one for normal use.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 Nov 2017, 08:26

I have 240hz monitor (XL2540) and it can be used for normal use at 240hz...
by 1st image https://prnt.sc/hdzgf3 looks like it's codec artifacts (low quality video) with very high brightness on monitor. Just try to tune it via OSD.

laped

Post by laped » 23 Nov 2017, 14:29

I'm not sure if i'm seeing pixelation because of badly encoded videos or if your monitor could be faulty somehow. Are you seeing this issue in game? I have been using the following settings which Isn't quite the recommended values but maybe it can help you out.

Picture:
Brightness 8
Contrast 36
Blue light, dark boost, adaptive contrast off
Color:
Gamma 2.5
user
red 47
green 53
blue 54
sRGB off
saturate 100
Gaming:
OD normal

nrns

Post by nrns » 25 Nov 2017, 03:08

laped wrote:I'm not sure if i'm seeing pixelation because of badly encoded videos or if your monitor could be faulty somehow. Are you seeing this issue in game? I have been using the following settings which Isn't quite the recommended values but maybe it can help you out.

Picture:
Brightness 8
Contrast 36
Blue light, dark boost, adaptive contrast off
Color:
Gamma 2.5
user
red 47
green 53
blue 54
sRGB off
saturate 100
Gaming:
OD normal
Its not the videos, I see it on my windows wallpaper for example.. in games ( CS:GO smoke, there are shitty squares ) and idk where else.. I think its just faulty

nrns

Post by nrns » 25 Nov 2017, 03:17

Q83Ia7ta wrote:I have 240hz monitor (XL2540) and it can be used for normal use at 240hz...
by 1st image https://prnt.sc/hdzgf3 looks like it's codec artifacts (low quality video) with very high brightness on monitor. Just try to tune it via OSD.
dont mind the vid, it might be because of it, but I see it even on my windows wallpaper for example, something is wrong with the display :s

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2017, 03:47

Its not the videos, I see it on my windows wallpaper for example..
Those are JPEG compression artifacts. That is also amplified by an excessively-bright gamma setting.

This can also show as banding in games. Your gamma is unusually bright for the dim colors. Try adjusting your gamma up/down to darken the blacks.

You want to adjust picture with http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php .... Adjust your gamma until your darker squares don't become too bright too rapidly (too much contrast between the dim squares), while you can still see difference between all the top squares. Adjust until the first few squares are much dimmer relative to each other, and your banding artifacts should be greatly diminished.

Saturation 100 will usually cause color-clipping with the higher squares. Set Saturation to default setting (not oversaturated, not undersaturated) then adjust until you can see all squares without the lower squares being unusually bright.

The 1st square should very, very, very barely visible. There will be interaction between "Contrast" / "Brightness" / "Gamma" (Can take more than half an hour to get it "right" by eye) -- you may need to adjust all 3 in order to see the difference between all squares while dimming the excessively-bright darker colors. Once you nail it, everything (CS:GO, wallpapers, videos) will look so much better.

Factory-reset and starting over again may also make things easier, as the interaction between Contrast/Brightness/Gamma (3 settings) may make it difficult to adjust until you can see the difference between every single square at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php while also simultaneously keeping the 1st and 2nd squares very dim & barely different. (The first 2 should look barely different, in order to prevent banding in dim colors). As soon as you adjust one setting, it requires you to counter-balance with another setting, and all 3 settings interacts with each other, but once you get the hang of it, once you adjust it this way -- then the banding problems goes away.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!