Help finding a good screen for HD consoles

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cireza

Help finding a good screen for HD consoles

Post by cireza » 23 Nov 2017, 05:17

Hello everyone.

I discovered this website recently and have been pretty impressed by all the stuff I read on it !

I have been playing video-games for a long time, and love CRT TVs (I love 240p games). Of course I made the jump to HD because I didn't really have a choice with recent consoles. I am not a PC player at all, only consoles.

Currently I own an Xbox One X, and a Sony Bravia TV (32"). This is a pretty recent TV, but it is still not great.

Blur has become a real problem for me in the recent years. I can't stand it anymore. On my CRT, scrolling is perfectly smooth. On my LCD screens ? Horribly blurry, 60fps games don't change much to it.

So the question is : is there a way to plug my HD consoles on a screen (TV or monitor) around 32" size that won't kill my eyes with blur (when scrolling) ? All I have seen around these sizes are ultra-wide curved monitors, I don't think that they are appropriate for video-game consoles. I am not even sure of how the Xbox One X will behave if plugged on a 240Hz ultra-wide monitor...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated ;)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Help finding a good screen for HD consoles

Post by RealNC » 23 Nov 2017, 07:24

Nope. It doesn't matter what you plug into the xbox, it's gonna run at 60Hz.

The only option that won't kill your eyes is probably that 4K OLED monitor that was mentioned here before. It can do CRT-like 60Hz low blur scanouts. It is very expensive though:

https://www.blurbusters.com/dell-up3017 ... robe-mode/

It doesn't look like it's easy to find anymore. But it did cost something like $5000 or so.

There's some LCDs that are able to do blur reduction on 60Hz with a console, but this only sounds good in theory. In practice, the flicker is so severe (about 4 times as bad as a 60Hz CRT) that it makes me dizzy. Some people don't seem to mind though...
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

cireza

Post by cireza » 23 Nov 2017, 10:06

Thank you for the answer.

cireza

Post by cireza » 26 Nov 2017, 09:20

RealNC wrote:There's some LCDs that are able to do blur reduction on 60Hz with a console, but this only sounds good in theory. In practice, the flicker is so severe (about 4 times as bad as a 60Hz CRT) that it makes me dizzy. Some people don't seem to mind though...
Upping the topic just to make sure...

What you are talking about here is the same thing as the Motionflow on my Sony TV ? Motionflow makes the screen very dark and produces a lot of flicker indeed, I can't use it.

Aren't there gaming monitors with the same kind of feature but that do it better, even for 60Hz consoles ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Nov 2017, 10:54

cireza wrote:
RealNC wrote:There's some LCDs that are able to do blur reduction on 60Hz with a console, but this only sounds good in theory. In practice, the flicker is so severe (about 4 times as bad as a 60Hz CRT) that it makes me dizzy. Some people don't seem to mind though...
What you are talking about here is the same thing as the Motionflow on my Sony TV ? Motionflow makes the screen very dark and produces a lot of flicker indeed, I can't use it.
On TVs, it's 120Hz or 240Hz flicker (they interpolate their input to 120FPS or 240FPS.) 60Hz backlight flicker is much more severe than that. TVs never do 60Hz motion blur reduction, since this would most probably make people return it as defective or give them seizures.
Aren't there gaming monitors with the same kind of feature but that do it better, even for 60Hz consoles ?
If you mean interpolation of 60FPS to 120FPS, no. This is not suitable for gaming anyway, since it has too much input lag.

If you mean just blur reduction, then no. 60Hz motion blur reduction on LCDs is based on backlight strobing, which means the whole image is going to flicker off and on. A CRT will instead use a rolling scan output, which means a horizontal bar on the screen is moving top to bottom, resulting in some part of the screen being visible most of the time. This makes the flicker softer. LCD backlight strobing does not use rolling scan, and thus the flicker is really harsh.

But again, maybe it wouldn't bother you too much. It's something you need to see and test for yourself. Personally, I find it intolerable and headache inducing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

cireza

Post by cireza » 26 Nov 2017, 15:51

RealNC wrote:60Hz motion blur reduction on LCDs is based on backlight strobing
Reading your explanation, I can tell that this is exactly what Motionflow does on my Sony Bravia TV. It does not add any input lag at all, so that's a good point. Sometimes, it seems that the picture looks "doubled" or "repeated", during faster scenes, which is a pretty ugly side-effect. The blur is highly reduced, and the picture becomes very dark.

So it seems that TVs do have some kind of proposal for gaming (about blur reduction), but I am not sure how good it gets.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2017, 16:31

cireza wrote:
RealNC wrote:60Hz motion blur reduction on LCDs is based on backlight strobing
Reading your explanation, I can tell that this is exactly what Motionflow does on my Sony Bravia TV. It does not add any input lag at all, so that's a good point. Sometimes, it seems that the picture looks "doubled" or "repeated", during faster scenes, which is a pretty ugly side-effect. The blur is highly reduced, and the picture becomes very dark.
If this still happens with 60fps games and content, then that is because the strobe rate is double the refresh rate, e.g. 120Hz strobing for 60fps.

The double image effect also happens at 30fps@60Hz CRT/plasma too -- you need framerate = refreshrate = stroberate for very clear motion with no double image effects.
cireza wrote:So it seems that TVs do have some kind of proposal for gaming (about blur reduction), but I am not sure how good it gets.
The HDTV reviews at http://www.RTINGS.com (they use pursuit camera testing technique that was invented by me which is the manual-pursuit camera-tracking speed synchronization track at TestUFO Ghosting). This makes easy WYSIWYG photographs of motion blur easy to do. Their photographs show which ones does double-image effects and which ones almost eliminates most of the double-image effect (except for minor strobe crosstalk)

With a motion blur reduction mode (strobe backlight) -- you need framerate = refreshrate = stroberate for great motion clarity that looks as sharp as motion on a CRT. The triple lock is required for the "super Nintendo panning smooth", "arcade CRT effect", "butter smooth" motion. Most ULMB modes don't strobe at 60Hz because of flicker liability risks (epilepsy, etc) so many brands of strobe backlights (e.g. ULMB) lock the strobe rates to 85Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. So you need either 85fps@85Hz, 100fps@100Hz, or 120fps@120Hz for as perfect-as-possible motion that exactly matches the strobe backlight rate.

That said, several HDTVs have a true 60Hz strobe mode (single strobe) which flickers quite a lot but works wonderfully for 60fps videogames. It is not good if you are flicker sensitive, but it provides you with the "CRT motion clarity effect" if you're familiar with it.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

cireza

Post by cireza » 26 Nov 2017, 17:09

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Nov 2017, 17:13

You're welcome!

If you hate double images during ULMB or other blur reduction modes, then make sure:

For consoles: Stick to "60fps games" and use a HDTV that supports 60Hz blur reduction

For computers: Get a GPU powerful enough to run at frame rates that matches the available strobed refresh rates choices offered (e.g. 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, though this can vary from monitor to monitor, and some are tweakable to do custom strobed refresh rates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

superspartan195

Post by superspartan195 » 09 Jan 2018, 22:57

Any good, no blur 1080p displays that can be used for an xbox one s?