Any reason not to buy the 27" Acer XB272 240hz?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
idred

Re: Any reason not to buy the 27" Acer XB272 240hz?

Post by idred » 05 Dec 2017, 09:15

Just wanted to say that this monitor is awesome. However, I did decide to buy a 1080Ti so I can't say how much of the improvement is the monitor vs the GPU. I think 27" is really good with the 1080p and not sure why anyone would consider going smaller.

Using the monitor in 2D mode looks very good also, really beats out my old Samsung 1080p 27" S27A950D monitor.

In overwatch the heroes seem to just float slowly around is the best way to describe 240hz gaming with this monitor.

The issue I'm facing now in overwatch is that if there are no major battles going on my FPS will be nice and smooth at 220 FPS. When the fighting starts I notice my FPS drop to around 130-150 FPS. Even if I am in the respawn room and there is fighting on the other side of the map my FPS will drop considerably. Total Mayhem arcade mode really kills my FPS no matter if I'm looking down at the floor.

I think my CPU is now limiting me? I have a i5 2500 at 4.2 GHZ.

Will battles in overwatch that are on the other side of the map from where you are cause your FPS to fall considerably?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Dec 2017, 09:31

You can use Afterburner and enable CPU and GPU load in the OSD to see whether you're CPU-limited or not. At 1080p, it's safe to assume that indeed you are CPU-limited. A good chunk of a 1080Ti is going unused when running 1080p, unless you can reach super-high frame rates, for which a high-end CPU is required.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

darzo

Post by darzo » 05 Dec 2017, 11:49

Overwatch has been known to have weird issues with newer cards not reflecting them being better. That said your CPU should be replaced and should account for the problem, although then you might need a new motherboard and while you're at it new RAM. I'd be curious what power supply you have as well. It also depends what settings you're playing on. I have a 1080 with an i7 7700k oced to 5 ghz and I have to have the settings on their lowest values to have a floor of 237 fps.

There are two reasons not to buy the monitor in question. One, it might have a buzzing from the power light area at 240hz. Two, you find 24.5 inches fine or even preferable and want to save a bit of money. I have this monitor and imo it's the best out there. Not only is its size helpful, but contrary to what most people will claim, my impression is its picture is better than the Asus monitor, which I tried as well. The panel supplier might be the same but apparently there's a good deal these companies do themselves.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 11:41

darzo wrote:Overwatch has been known to have weird issues with newer cards not reflecting them being better. That said your CPU should be replaced and should account for the problem, although then you might need a new motherboard and while you're at it new RAM. I'd be curious what power supply you have as well. It also depends what settings you're playing on. I have a 1080 with an i7 7700k oced to 5 ghz and I have to have the settings on their lowest values to have a floor of 237 fps.

There are two reasons not to buy the monitor in question. One, it might have a buzzing from the power light area at 240hz. Two, you find 24.5 inches fine or even preferable and want to save a bit of money. I have this monitor and imo it's the best out there. Not only is its size helpful, but contrary to what most people will claim, my impression is its picture is better than the Asus monitor, which I tried as well. The panel supplier might be the same but apparently there's a good deal these companies do themselves.
I've purchased the XF270HA (which I'm sending back tomorrow)... and found that it's basically the same thing as the XB272...which I find ridiculous... it has the same buzzing noise that you described, coming from the power light area at 240hz, the same exact joystick+4 button layout...same EVERYTHING from the outside at least, this is a fact.
The only difference is the acer badge on the front, which is there instead of the predator one; and of course, it has a different stand.

Now on to what are just speculations:
I think it even has the same internals, minus the g-sync unit...
hence the reason for the lower price and sub-par calibration, which results in framskipping at 240hz. (though the colors are still really nice for a TN...worlds apart from an xl2411z, and even a hair better than the Alienware 25)
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.