Help with picking a monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Icy7

Help with picking a monitor

Post by Icy7 » 28 Nov 2017, 15:01

So i'm finally deciding to upgrade my monitor (acer s211hl yeah i know its crap) and just need help to pick one.

What I'm after in a monitor: at least 144hz, gsync (I have a 980ti currently), better colours mainly what I mean by that outside of just a general term is not having different square shades of blacks showing up in some dark games/tv/etv (this isnt that big of an issue because i'm so use to it but i'd rather avoid it if I can), I want a "safe" option because I dont want to play the display lottery because returning a monitor will be hard/a massive pain, not curved.

Other info: I play 60% fps mainly overwatch and csgo with the other 40% mainly being path of exile and grim dawn.
Viewing angles aren't a problem for me and blb shouldn't be a problem because my room is always lit from lights or the sun when I game.
Budget is around $1000 AUD.

I must say I'm rather tempted by the new 240hz monitors but I'm not sure how they'd go with a game like path of exile and how much better the colours would be vs my current monitor.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Help with picking a monitor

Post by RealNC » 28 Nov 2017, 15:37

It's "this time of the year" right now, and some new monitors are being announced. I would wait a couple months to see what comes out. It could be that some of the new monitors solve some of the issues with current high refresh VA and IPS panels.

Other than that, take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Icy7

Post by Icy7 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:11

RealNC wrote:It's "this time of the year" right now, and some new monitors are being announced. I would wait a couple months to see what comes out. It could be that some of the new monitors solve some of the issues with current high refresh VA and IPS panels.

Other than that, take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696
Nobody seems to own the XB241YU that I can find and the monitor you suggested is curved.

Also i'm not looking for brilliant colours and great blacks etc. I just want something with better colours than my current monitor that also reduces or eliminates that black issue I mentioned.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Nov 2017, 16:28

One recommendation is to get one of the 144Hz (165Hz OCed) 1440p IPS-type G-Sync monitors:

Acer Predator XB271HU
AOC AG271QG
Asus ROG PG279Q
ViewSonic XG2703-GS

I have the ViewSonic and my thoughts on it are here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3337

These monitors have in-depth reviews on trusted review sites (like pcmonitors.info, tftcentral.co.uk).

All of them use either the same or almost same panel. Note that this doesn't mean they all have same characteristics. The panel is tweaked differently by each monitor manufacturer, so there's differences. What they do have in common is overall good black levels, good gamma (no "washed out" look), very good overdrive (done by NVidia), and of course G-Sync. The colors can differ though.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Icy7

Post by Icy7 » 28 Nov 2017, 16:41

Reading now, any 24in recommendations btw?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Nov 2017, 17:06

At 1440p, the Dell S2417DG seems to have good reviews. It's a TN panel. Apparent color quality is somewhat better than your average TN panel though, simply because of the high pixel density (higher pixel density doesn't really improve objective color quality, but they are perceived as being better due to reduction of the screen-door effect.)

The pixel density also means you'd need to use 125% or 150% DPI scaling in Windows 10. And of course you're going to see a sizable drop in FPS due to the high resolution (it's a trade-off for better image quality.)

As for 1080p 24" monitors, I'm sure somewhat will jump in and give some thoughts. I can't give any recommendations. None of the 24" G-Sync panels strike me as particularly good. The S2417DG seems to be the only exception, but it's 1440p. And it seems to get worse with the new 240Hz models. Some people like them, but I see way too many complaints (here as well as in other online communities) about poor performance and borderline-defects with their panels (like faint lines on the screen or weird checkerboard patterns due to pixel inversion issues.) But maybe I'm just old and grumpy ;-)

Right now, I can really only recommend 27" non-TN, unless you're a die-hard eSports kind of person. I like a balance between image quality and speed/refresh rate, without sacrificing one of those things too much in favor of the other.

Icy7

Post by Icy7 » 28 Nov 2017, 18:28

I cant get the Dell S2417DG in my country unfortunately.

Icy7

Post by Icy7 » 09 Dec 2017, 01:01

Decided to bite the bullet and just got myself an acer xb252q and it's much much better than my older monitor in terms of pixel inversion.
Although when I measured it it only came to be 22 inches not 24/25" am I missing something here?

Also I cant seem to get chrome to work at 240hz but firefox does it just fine so any help with that would be nice.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Dec 2017, 02:59

Icy7 wrote:Although when I measured it it only came to be 22 inches not 24/25" am I missing something here?
You're measuring the width. The specified size of screens is the diagonal, not the width.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Dec 2017, 10:35

Icy7 wrote:Also I cant seem to get chrome to work at 240hz but firefox does it just fine so any help with that would be nice.
Type "chrome://gpu" .... If anything is software, there will be failure to run at a full 240Hz.

Also, some tweaks to try can be found at www.testufo.com/browser.html
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!