AG352QCX vs 34uc79g-b best ultra wide gaming monitor review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
koriwi

AG352QCX vs 34uc79g-b best ultra wide gaming monitor review

Post by koriwi » 30 Nov 2017, 04:06

Hi Guys,
I'm new when it comes to posting in this forum. But I'm a lurker sind 2014 when i bought my XL2411z which i upgraded recently through linux to V4. Kudos to Chief for the Strobe Utility. It has spoiled me a bit to much :roll:

But i want to get rid of my XL2411z and my second 23 inch screen. I'm married now and i dont have my own apartment with huge gaming space anymore. (I dont actively game anymore since 1.5 years or so. Only a few hours a week and much coding stuff because I'm a Developer) We share our desk now. So i wanted one big slim monitor which is good for gaming and good for my work stuff.

My Specs:
MSI GS43VR 7RE
7700HQ @3.5Ghz (undervolted)
32GB DDR4 RAM 2x16
GTX1060 @desktop clockspeed (undervolted)

In the future I want to upgrade to an eGPU when my 1060 is not good enough anymore, but for now its all i need.
So i looked for a 1080p 21:9. NOT 1440p. Not to expensive. A little bit better colors than my old BenQ and at least 32"

So I was on the hunt for information and at the end i ordered these two Monitors:
LG 34uc79g-b
AOC AGON AG352QCX

I recieved the first one already and tested it a few hours yesterday. The latter will probably arrive today :o
I would write a review for each monitor and a comparison and would answer a few specific question if you have one because nowhere on the internet i saw a comparison or review like this. So let me know if you are interested :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: AG352QCX vs 34uc79g-b best ultra wide gaming monitor rev

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2017, 10:55

I'd love to hear what you think of the motion quality of the AG352QCX. And how it compares. It's a FreeSync monitor, without blur reduction, but how does the regular 200Hz look so far to you?

I'm interested why you didn't get the G-SYNC version, since those are the only ones with ULMB in the same ultrawide format -- however, you did say you're planning to migrate more away from games and more towards development, and use an eGPU for the next system.

P.S. Are you using undervolting to keep noise down, or keep power consumption down (electric bills), system size compact (small place), or all the above?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

koriwi

Re: AG352QCX vs 34uc79g-b best ultra wide gaming monitor rev

Post by koriwi » 30 Nov 2017, 18:21

I have just received the AOC, assembled and configured 2 profiles.

One for fast FPS games and one for everyday work with good colors, deep black and pleasant brightness.

Unpacking and first impressions:
The first thing that strikes you is that AOC comes with everything. A cable is included for each connection the monitor has. A nice plus is the wired remote control of the AOC. In contrast to the LG, the AOC also comes with a USB 3 cable for the USB 3 hub built into both monitors.
Both monitors have an extra bracket. The AOC for the headset, the LG for the mouse cable. Unfortunately, LG forgot to supply the holder (HELLO QA). I think both ideas are very good and love the saved space on my desk because my huge headset is now hanging on the monitor.

Assembly:
With both monitors problem-free. With the AOC, however, you need a Philips screwdriver as the foot is simply a Vesa mount. The AOC feels more like a tank when you hold the LG in your hand.

Both have a certain amount of cable routing which is removable on the LG.

OSD:
Both OSDs are easy to use. I like the AOC a little better. But that's a matter of taste.
With the AOC, the profiles can be set up, saved and toggled quickly. With the LG, the handling was not so pleasant that I used only one profile all the time. At the AOC it was fun to change them.

MotionBlur Reduction:
The LG has one.
The AOC has none.
However, the AOC still looks better.
If you set the overdrive of the AOC to Strong and set the shadow control to 60 then there is almost no motion blur and no ghosting at all. Its almost als good as my old BenQ XL2411Z. The only difference is that the image gets brighter the stronger you turn the shadow control up.
Oh, yeah. I use the AOC with 144hz and the LG with 120hz.
If you set the LG to 144hz you get about 5 times ghosting. With 120hz and 100hz only 3x.
If you set the AOC 200hz you get a gamma shift when scrolling through the image, which is noticeable in dark areas with high contrast.
With the LG, the picture gets better when you turn off the 1ms motion blur reduction. In my opinion it plays better with streaks than with triple ghosting.

InputLag:
You don't feel any (difference) on both screens.

Image quality:
Both monitors make a nice picture and are well and evenly illuminated. Even on a completely black background I don't see any notable irregularities. But at the LG I see e. g. in Steam the gradations in grey much more clearly. Does it perhaps only show 6 bit color depth? If no, I've configured anything wrong, I think.

That was my first brief overview before going to bed.
I liked the LG very much until I had the AOC on my desk.

Here are 2 more videos I just made at the AOC with the above mentioned settings.
(The LG isn't built up and my wife is asleep. But if necessary I go to the LG (or AOC) for more details and make videos of the TestUFO)

960 Px/s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMGAmoO3bs
2560 Px/s (smartphone cam to slow here, sorry: /)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGRXxEnCII

Heres an image stolen from an Amazon review from the 34UC79g-b with 1ms mlb activated. I can confirm this behaviour.

Edit:
Maybe you have tips for me how I get the best results from recording testufo.
Why did I get this version ?
Because iirc the gsync version has a 1440p resolution. And my GTX 1060 can't handle this (at desired framerates). And iam completely satisfied with the dpi now.

I repasted my laptop with liquid metal and I undervolted it.
I can game for hours now and my laptop won't get over 65-70°C. My CPU is at 100% turbo clock speed all time because no thermal throttling occurs. So it runs at 3.5ghz or so instead of 2.8ghz. And the discrete graphics card GTX 1060 too. It's running at desktop clock speeds because of no thermal throttling.

When I use the laptop for coding work I now never hear the fans. Which was unlikely before.
And if I connect my laptop to my self built docking station which includes a 120mm fan, it's not much louder when gaming than my old tower cooled by a 360mm radiator. I'm so happy with this laptop now.
Only wish it had a 120hz internal display :(