Is the g-sync tax worth it? (240hz)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Scorch_

Is the g-sync tax worth it? (240hz)

Post by Scorch_ » 04 Dec 2017, 08:37

I've been interested in getting a 240hz monitor for awhile and now that there's now a pretty wide selection to choose from at varying prices, I've decided to pick one up in the near future. However I still have a few questions that I cant seem to find the answer to, mainly dealing with g-sync vs freesync.

I really have no interest in either of these features (as screen tearing doesn't bother me) and just want a monitor that has the lowest input lag. Originally I planned to just purchase a freesync monitor since the g-sync variants of the same monitors are priced 100$ - 200$ higher, but after looking around at some post on this site it seems g-sync monitors have other advantages over their freesync counterparts.

The post I'm referring to are these two which seem to indicate that g-sync monitors have less ghosting and better colors among other things. I know its pointless fretting over colors when it comes to TN panels and in a perfect world I'd have a IPS panel for viewing anything not game related but I just don't have that kind of budget, seeing how this will be my daily driver for possibly some time I'd like to get the most I can out of it.

Referring again to the above post by chief blur buster, most of the 240hz g-sync monitors preform at about the same level, but does the same hold true for the freesync variant's? If so what would be the difference between the freesync and g-sync variant of the same monitor (excluding the obvious difference), would the freesync monitor need tweaking out of the box to bring it up to bar with the g-sync variant?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Is the g-sync tax worth it? (240hz)

Post by RealNC » 04 Dec 2017, 12:40

At 240Hz you're not gonna run into any serious ghosting issues, but g-sync on its own for its primary use is still awesome to have, even if it weren't for the other side-benefits it provides.

Wanna play a game that has fluctuating FPS, and it goes from 90FPS to 180FPS and anywhere in-between at random depending on where you look? It's gonna look and play pretty much perfect with g-sync.

It does feel unfair that they're charging more than they should for g-sync. That is absolutely true. But goddamn is it nice.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2017, 13:01

The many non-G-SYNC benefits of the premium sums down to:

-- G-SYNC itself
-- (non-GSYNC play) ULMB Motion Blur Reduction
-- (non-GSYNC play) Generally better and more consistent overdrive quality in fixed-Hz mode
-- (non-GSYNC play) Reportedly, some non-G-SYNC models have slightly higher lag (scant millisecond or two) for 240Hz fixed-Hz
-- (non-GSYNC play) Lower fixed-Hz lag is possible by using VRR (FreeSync or G-SYNC) as an accelerated frame delivery mechanism for fixed-framerate situations. (e.g. emulators running 240Hz G-SYNC mode, producing a 60Hz mode with the accelerated frame-delivery of 1/240sec).

That said:
-- Good FreeSync monitors do as good 240Hz non-Freesync as G-SYNC monitors do 240Hz non-G-SYNC -- at least this appears to be the case for the Viewsonic XG2530)
-- G-SYNC premium can fall to as little as $50 or less sometimes. During Cyber Monday and Black Friday, the Dell AW2518H was $429 on Amazon, which is pretty good for 240Hz G-SYNC. That's cheaper than some of the more expensive FreeSync 240Hz monitors! Might happen again Boxing Day, who knows?
-- FreeSync monitors are getting better and better, I am looking forward to seeing how the ASUS ROG STRIX XG258Q turns out -- and it has ELMB

It can be a tough decision based on the pros/cons.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Scorch_

Post by Scorch_ » 04 Dec 2017, 21:13

Thanks for the replies and information, the Dell AW2518H was one I've been keeping an eye on due to its low price. However I've been reading that some have had micro stuttering issues with it and that it apparently has about 16ms more of input lag than others. I'm mostly concerned with the higher input lag since I assume the micro stuttering is an isolated issue.

daggertx

Post by daggertx » 04 Dec 2017, 21:25

I asked about the higher input lag and I was told that it was only for 60hz. In other words, the test that was done, was using the 60hz test.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3716&p=29570#p29570
Last edited by daggertx on 04 Dec 2017, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

daggertx

Post by daggertx » 04 Dec 2017, 21:32

Yeah I am having a hard time figuring out what to get. Its a big investment and I hate motion blur and I also prefer Nvida. That new ASUS does look good though, even though its free sync only.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2017, 22:29

Scorch_ wrote:and that it apparently has about 16ms more of input lag than others.
It's my understanding that this is the Leo Bodnar lag result, which only tests for 60Hz lag, not 240Hz lag.

It is true 240Hz monitors currently aren't the lowest-lag for 60Hz mode (consoles via HDMI input). But few of us ever run 60Hz via a PC, anyway.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

daggertx

Post by daggertx » 04 Dec 2017, 22:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Scorch_ wrote:and that it apparently has about 16ms more of input lag than others.
It's my understanding that this is the Leo Bodnar lag result, which only tests for 60Hz lag, not 240Hz lag.

It is true 240Hz monitors currently aren't the lowest-lag for 60Hz mode (consoles via HDMI input). But few of us ever run 60Hz via a PC, anyway.
Any idea how ULMB compares to ELMB?

That ASUS you linked to might be worth it even for a Nvidia user..