Samsung 24CFG73 - My impressions

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Samsung 24CFG73 - My impressions

Post by Notty_PT » 22 Dec 2017, 19:45

Hi! Got the new Samsung 24CFG73 monitor today. Been testing this. So far I can give you these impressions:

- Highest contrast I ever seen on a gaming monitor. For real, I was in shock after seeing how good this thing looks. Every game (even websites) show you a lot more detail. Fall in love with this screen quality.

- Colours are really alive and not overly saturated like I seen some people saying

- Not a single purple motion issue so far (CFG70 was famous for this)

- Response time IS AWESOME. Altho I don´t have tools to measure it, I can assure you this is one of the best monitors I used response time wise. You may find this weird, I did too, but I did extensive comparasions with other monitors I have here, wich are TN, and everything was clearer on this monitor. Be advised tho, I never use the fastest options on TN panels because I have overshoot, so this might be an unfair comparasion.

- Materials are very good, the monitor is very well built, the stand is very stable

- The curve is very good for competitive gaming imo, because it makes you focus way more. I always wanted a 22inch/23inch 144hz screen instead of a 24inches, because always found 24inches too big for competitive fast paced games (I Play quake), hard to focus on everything, and I have to put the monitor really far from me. With this curved model I didn´t have to do this as the curve makes it effectively shorter and easier to focus on every part of the screen

- I think this was the first monitor where I didn´t have to touch a single option (apart from brightness) to make it look good. It is gorgeous out of the box

- Got it on sale for 280€ wich is a good price compared to other similar models

Now... everything seems awesome right? Yeah... thought the same. Now let´s go to the main and prolly only problem I found wich will make me return the monitor, very sadly!!!....

INPUT LAG

Is atrocious. Doesn´t matter if you have the LOW Input Lag option ON with a 144hz PC signal. And if you connect a console (60hz) it is even worse than some TVs. I noticed this immediatly after starting playing a game, and when connected a console it was even more shocking.

So yeah... this could be my "perfect" monitor. I mean seriously, there is no blacklight bleed, perfect contrast, vibrant and immersive, but then I can´t survive with this high input lag. I tried every possible method to get rid of it by playing with every single option, with no avail.

So basically if anyone is interested on this model, only get it if you are going to play stuff like Witcher 3, casual Single Player Starcraft/Diablo, Fallout 4 and that kind of games. For offline/single player experiences this might be the best 144hz monitor right now, being honest. I think this monitor is the perfect balance for anyone wanting fast refresh rate and good colours for content creation. Just be aware, if you want the best possible experience on first person shooters don´t even bother with this. And if you want to connect consoles to it, even less.

If anyone wonder why I bothered to post this, is because I wish I had user analysis to read on new monitor releases so I would know what to expect.

Will return the monitor tomorrow. It will be the hardest return ever, because I loved everything about this monitor. I wanted it to be usable on competitive games. Really did.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Samsung 24CFG73 - My impressions

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2017, 14:21

Notty_PT wrote:Hi! Got the new Samsung 24CFG73 monitor today.
Notty_PT wrote:Not a single purple motion issue so far (CFG70 was famous for this)
Notty_PT wrote:INPUT LAG
Notty_PT wrote:So basically if anyone is interested on this model, only get it if you are going to play stuff like Witcher 3, casual Single Player Starcraft/Diablo, Fallout 4 and that kind of games. For offline/single player experiences this might be the best 144hz monitor right now, being honest. I think this monitor is the perfect balance for anyone wanting fast refresh rate and good colours for content creation. Just be aware, if you want the best possible experience on first person shooters don´t even bother with this. And if you want to connect consoles to it, even less.

If anyone wonder why I bothered to post this, is because I wish I had user analysis to read on new monitor releases so I would know what to expect.

Will return the monitor tomorrow. It will be the hardest return ever, because I loved everything about this monitor. I wanted it to be usable on competitive games. Really did.
Thank you SO much for posting the CFG73 versus CFG70 impressions. It is great to hear the purple problem is gone! Thank you for posting this!

I agree, it is a really, really good VA monitor....except for lag.

Unfortunately, I have NOT come across any VA monitors that has eSports-quality input lag.
Unfortunately, VA has not currently achieved lag as low as the best TN panels.

If you want the lowest lag, there's no other way than to go TN....(Sadly) unless you want to go CRT or DLP.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

darzo

Post by darzo » 23 Dec 2017, 14:59

How does IPS compare versus TN and VA for lag?

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 23 Dec 2017, 15:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Notty_PT wrote:Hi! Got the new Samsung 24CFG73 monitor today.
Notty_PT wrote:Not a single purple motion issue so far (CFG70 was famous for this)
Notty_PT wrote:INPUT LAG
Notty_PT wrote:So basically if anyone is interested on this model, only get it if you are going to play stuff like Witcher 3, casual Single Player Starcraft/Diablo, Fallout 4 and that kind of games. For offline/single player experiences this might be the best 144hz monitor right now, being honest. I think this monitor is the perfect balance for anyone wanting fast refresh rate and good colours for content creation. Just be aware, if you want the best possible experience on first person shooters don´t even bother with this. And if you want to connect consoles to it, even less.

Thank you SO much for posting the CFG73 versus CFG70 impressions. It is great to hear the purple problem is gone! Thank you for posting this!

I agree, it is a really, really good VA monitor....except for lag.

Unfortunately, I have NOT come across any VA monitors that has eSports-quality input lag.
Unfortunately, VA has not currently achieved lag as low as the best TN panels.

If you want the lowest lag, there's no other way than to go TN....(Sadly) unless you want to go CRT or DLP.
No problems! For now I will stick with my beloved Asus MG248Q, this thing may not have the best colours and contrast (let´s be honest, they are bad), but is the fastest and most responsive monitor I ever had on both 60hz and 144hz signals.

I assure you my CFG73 sample didn´t have a single purple motion issue. That was the first thing I tested with both screenshots (2d) and in game (Quake, CS, etc). I was asking myself all the time how the response time was so good on it, as it isn´t TN. On IPS monitors I usually spot the slower response time immediatly even on web pages! I´m very sensitive to ghosting and input lag. While the ghosting was so good on the FG73, the input lag was too high. I don´t have a tool to measure it right now but I wouldn´t be surprised if it is bigger than 20ms (at 60hz with leo bodnar) or 10ms (at 144hz) because I have a Samsung TV MU8000 rated at 24ms and it is more responsive than this monitor. Is really sad. I reccomend this monitor for anyone that isn´t serious about e-sports tho. I doubt there is a good monitor as this for both content creation and 144hz gaming. Perfect combination. The blacks on this thing are no joke, I was amazed on every webpage I was opening and every game seem to provide more detail.

Returned it this afternoon. I guess I´m out of monitors to test right now eheh will wait for the new 240hz models and pull the trigger on those, and ofc will pay attention if Samsung fixes their input lag problem. When samsung can release an esports ready version of these panels, damn I don´t want anything else.

Malinkadink

Post by Malinkadink » 24 Dec 2017, 00:59

I have a July 2017 C24FG70, no purple issues with it. They've surely fixed that issue with the latest firmware, unfortunately mine has really poor uniformity at the bottom 3 quadrants especially the center one with a deltaE of 5 in the most offending spot reading 6100k vs 6470k in the center. Extremely noticeable when web browsing, it's going back for sure. I can't say that the input lag is bad on it though, the response times cant hold a candle to the S2417DG i have but the overall picture is much better than the TN obviously.

ithehappy

Post by ithehappy » 21 Jul 2018, 19:13

I just wish I found this post 'before' buying this garbage of a monitor. After wondering for hours and then reading for a few minutes I finally found this topic where someone else other than me noticed the terrible input lag of this. Returned the very next day. There was severe text rendering issue with it as well, which is already covered by other reviews already and I didn't like the colours of it as well! Funny I came from a 5 year old IPS monitor, U2412M, but I can pretty much guarantee that the Dell has lower amount of input lag even being an old IPS panel. They should immediately strike off the gaming label from this monitor

Now I'm wondering what to buy, a 60 Hz IPS like U2415 or a 144 Hz TN like the XG2402. I'm just scared as heck on the input lag thingy, and as every review covers it differently there's no place to check for it 'before' purchasing a monitor! God damn it!