Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasmas

Re: Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Post by rasmas » 29 Jan 2018, 09:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
rasmas wrote:The last one lasted more han 7 years (not sure), and i would have kept it if it hadn't broke xD .
That's often even more reason to make sure you get a monitor that's ahead of your GPU.
You're not likely to keep your 6870 for 7 years, are you?
xD, no, I even tried a 1060 but it has some weird stutters on some games and i am waiting for volta cards.
Although no idea at all about what specs to look for on another monitor. I'd like to have a good not-too-blurry picture with this specs and not to have to wait for a new card (or full PC) to have sharper blurless images, but i think is not posible, so i should just focus on a future-proof monitor (but no idea which one xD ).
I am thinking on using an old CRT untill i get a new graphics card.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
rasmas wrote:so yesterday i played a game and after a while i noticed i have the game limited to 30fps, but, and that's what confuses me, i didn't notice any "weird" effect; i thought at 30fps i should get double images or intense flickering, but i only noticed that it has some blur
If you turn on FreeSync (which your monitor supports), it automatically turns off MBR. So perhaps FreeSync has already automatically turned itself on? What does your monitor menus say?
Nope, i tried turning the MBR on and off, just to see the difference, so Freesync was not on; actually i thought my card was too old to admit FreeSync (tried now and seems to work -have to test it-).
Chief Blur Buster wrote:... better at triple-digit frame rates and triple-digit refresh rates -- which is important if MBR is a bigger priority to you.

That said, FreeSync may have ghosting issues similar to LCD Overdrive Artifacts depending on how your framerates modulate. This is mostly unavoidable, but if it bothers you a lot, a different monitor may help.
So at 85Hz MBR still not enough? Then i guess, by now, MBR is not a good option for me.

About ghosting: is the same than that "photo negative" effect i described?, because i am getting it pretty high even when i scroll the tabs of Firefox.
I.e. on this test ( https://www.testufo.com/framerates-marquee ) i get a clear view of the same letters but on white, it is like a white shadow of the black letters (you have to focus a bit but they are clear). Happening both with MBR on and off (although with MBR all is sharper). EDIT: tested: On high response time=white shadows; on others (middle, low, off)=black shadows.

Also wanted to ask: with that " Custom Resolution Utility 1.3 by ToastyX" i downloaded, can i damage the monitors if i do not know what am i doing?