Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasmas

Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Post by rasmas » 04 Jan 2018, 11:21

Hello all,
I'm new here and as a good noob i come to ask advice and info :P .

TL;DR: All monitors you tests and recommend are +100Hz, TN panel (or 1440p IPSs), PC specs good enough to keep costant framerate,... Are there alternatives with lower Hz, that have a good-great blur reduction technology? Are they worthy or i should i forget about these and just focus on +100Hz and costant high framerate?
If they can be worthy, could you recommend me a few (or all you can remember) to start looking for info?

(Long text ahead!! :P)
First:
I have "always" had eye strain (sometimes leads to motion sickness*); i think i didn't have it when i was a child so i assumed my eyes-brain changed as i grew up.
*=Unsure if 100% related because when child i think i had motion sickness with an old game called XIII and i think i had a CRT.
Recently my LG W2261V died (TFT TN), and since then i have been using a CRT monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 73) where i am able to notice the flickering and has awful colours (=not too good :P ). I bought a new one (HP 24w- IPS to test if colours were the problem of eye strain) and inmediately i realized how blurry it was on games, i could see nothing clear. I used your "photo moving" test on both and i clearly saw the problem. Even with that I was able to get used to it by "not really focusing" in what were happening (as i did before).

Because of that i think a not blurry screen could help me to have less eye strain and maybe never have motion sickness again.

Second:
What i see is you test and recommend +120Hz monitors, and to get enough stable FPS to reach those Hz, as ULMB does not work fine with unstable and low frames, and Benqs Zowies work with any FPSs but on low they will "double strobe" (and i guess that is bad, but i don't fully understand yet, sorry).
Also most of the recommended are TN panels, with just a few IPSs.

Third:
So, what about lower than 120Hz? can they have quality Blur reduction to make it clear enough or it is mandatory to have +100Hz with stable FPS?
And, IPS panels add something "wrong"? The response times are really important or it is just that there are few +100Hz IPS panels?

Fourth:
I have been able to find this LG 24MP59G-P ( displayspecifications).
It is IPS, 1080p, has MBR (Motion Blur Reduction- i don't understand what the 1ms has to do with blur reduction-) and it is not too expensive (170€). It has 75Hz.
(Side note: at 75hz some people report pixelated orange and blue colours, not present at 60Hz).
I know you have not tested it but "in theory", could it be clear-good enough? or should i just focus on 144Hz TN monitors with motion blur reduction? (as IPSs are 1440p and my computer could not keep good enough FPS).

I plan on ordering the LG myself to see how i see it but i have some busy months so i will not do it soon, and because of that i want to know if it would be worthy or not for me, to start looking for something else.

Also: you don't have them listed but, do you know if there are more options like the one i posted? (not too expensive, 1080p, maybe less than 100Hz, with a good-great blur reduction mode).

Aditional info:
I have found a video of the LG 24MP59G-P where they show that MBR feature but i don't understand it because it is on (acording to google) Greek. Maybe you know someone that can understand it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJ-z-KyNQk

Sorry for long post ;) .

Thank you very much in advance and in case you have read it all ;) .

P.S: try to add amazon refer links to worldwide amazon stores (i have seen this where, when clicking, it will send you to your "local" amazon store or, if that does not exists, to amazon US one).
Also Awesome job you do with all the tests and info (i barely understand 1 test xD but i it is impresive all you do ;) ).
And, anyway we-users could help to ask Monitor brands to send you units to test? (anything with blur reduction). They should do as they are starting to include this on a lot of monitors and you are perfect to test them.

My specs (just in case):
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (DDR3-LGA 1366)
- Intel i7 930
- RAM G.Skill 3x2GB DDR3 1600 (F3 12800 CL 7-8-7-24 1.5v)
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Lancool PC-K60 Dragonlord
- Seasonic X-650 Modular SS-650KM (80 Plus Hybrid-silent)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB FAEX
- ATI Asus 6870*
- LG GH24LS50 22X SATA
- Windows 10 64bits
*= expecting to change it but i tried a GTX 1060 and i am affected for a Stuttering problem due to NVIDIA drivers and Windows 10 (affects a lot of unaware people). RX580 had them but not that massive, but still not good enough.

rasmas

Re: Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Post by rasmas » 05 Jan 2018, 10:12

Too much text? Sorry again, i gave all the info i could so maybe someone had similar "situations" and maybe he had already found the solution i am looking for :P .

So if the "TL;DR:" was not short enough:

TL;DR v2.0 :mrgreen: : In theory (based on what you know), could monitors with blur reduction technologies be worthy under +120Hz? Can you list some? Or should i just focus on +144Hz?

Thank you again and hope you can help be or point me in the right direction ;) .

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jan 2018, 14:43

Blur reduction works well under 120Hz. The amount of blur reduction is exactly the same. 60Hz, 85Hz, 120Hz, 180Hz... With blur reduction active, all of these have the same amount of blur (= next to no blur at all.)

The only thing that changes is flicker. 60Hz is intolerable to the majority of people (much more severe than 60Hz on a CRT.) 85Hz is OK. 100Hz is good. The higher it gets, the less flicker you see. But motion blur wise, they're all the same.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 06 Jan 2018, 07:46

RealNC wrote:Blur reduction works well under 120Hz. The amount of blur reduction is exactly the same. 60Hz, 85Hz, 120Hz, 180Hz... With blur reduction active, all of these have the same amount of blur (= next to no blur at all.)

The only thing that changes is flicker. 60Hz is intolerable to the majority of people (much more severe than 60Hz on a CRT.) 85Hz is OK. 100Hz is good. The higher it gets, the less flicker you see. But motion blur wise, they're all the same.
When you say it is "the same amount of blur", you did to answer "faster", right? because i had read that NVIDIA ULMB is a bit better (and different) than Benq Zowies, and others. It is ok, just to be sure ;) .

Now i am wondering why release a monitor with MBR and 75Hz..., maybe they are doing it on a different way and at these Hz it is fine enough? I think i will try to buy and test by myself.
Although not having a lot of monitors with that feature maybe means what you said ;) (just have found that one; still searching but no luck).

I will start to look at 144Hz monitors too just in case i can't stand the MBR at 75hz.

Hope CES brings something great that helps me to decide.

Thank you very much for the answer ;) .

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Jan 2018, 08:03

rasmas wrote:When you say it is "the same amount of blur", you did to answer "faster", right?
No, they do actually have the same amount of blur. 60Hz MBR has exactly as low motion blur as 120Hz MBR. In other words, when you switch from 120Hz to 60Hz, you do not get more motion blur. It stays exactly the same, and it looks just as clear as 120Hz.

However, this is only true for single-strobe 60Hz MBR. If the monitor double-strobes (meaning it does 120Hz MBR at 60Hz; in other words, it flashes every image twice), then the result is not that good.
because i had read that NVIDIA ULMB is a bit better (and different) than Benq Zowies, and others. It is ok, just to be sure ;) .
ULMB is known to work well "out of the box" and it does not have many configuration options. Some other MBR methods can be configured more. But other than that really, all MBR methods look about the same.

However, on many monitors (but not all,) ULMB can be tweaked to support 60Hz and 75Hz single-strobing. This might not be possible with other MBR methods.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 06 Jan 2018, 10:48

RealNC wrote:
rasmas wrote:When you say it is "the same amount of blur", you did to answer "faster", right?
No, they do actually have the same amount of blur. 60Hz MBR has exactly as low motion blur as 120Hz MBR. In other words, when you switch from 120Hz to 60Hz, you do not get more motion blur. It stays exactly the same, and it looks just as clear as 120Hz.

However, this is only true for single-strobe 60Hz MBR. If the monitor double-strobes (meaning it does 120Hz MBR at 60Hz; in other words, it flashes every image twice), then the result is not that good.
because i had read that NVIDIA ULMB is a bit better (and different) than Benq Zowies, and others. It is ok, just to be sure ;) .
ULMB is known to work well "out of the box" and it does not have many configuration options. Some other MBR methods can be configured more. But other than that really, all MBR methods look about the same.

However, on many monitors (but not all,) ULMB can be tweaked to support 60Hz and 75Hz single-strobing. This might not be possible with other MBR methods.
Thanks to your answer i have found this thread (2nd page), where an user talks about the LG. Unfortunatelly he does not talk about if the flickering is better than other LCDs (probably not) to compensate those "low" 75Hz (or if it single or double strobes).
I guess the only way to see this is to test it myself (in two months xD ).

But the main requirement to use any MBR is to keep stable framerate of games at least over 60FPS, so i am wondering if a monitor with MBR without a computer giving 100% stable framerate is worthy :| .

I wish there were CRT like monitors that can work with any FPS with the resolution-clarity of LCDs xD .

;)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Jan 2018, 12:01

rasmas wrote:I wish there were CRT like monitors that can work with any FPS with the resolution-clarity of LCDs xD .

;)
I believe NVidia is working on making ULMB work with G-Sync at the same time. If they manage to do this, then it's pretty much exactly what you want. MBR motion clarity with VRR frame-rate independence.

But they have not announced anything as of yet. So we don't know when (or even if) monitors that can do this will appear.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 06 Jan 2018, 13:32

RealNC wrote:
rasmas wrote:I wish there were CRT like monitors that can work with any FPS with the resolution-clarity of LCDs xD .

;)
I believe NVidia is working on making ULMB work with G-Sync at the same time. If they manage to do this, then it's pretty much exactly what you want. MBR motion clarity with VRR frame-rate independence.

But they have not announced anything as of yet. So we don't know when (or even if) monitors that can do this will appear.
So that technology would allow to have strobe backlight even at less than 30fps? But the flickering would be still present, right? Well, you can't know, but i am trying to imagine how that could work :P .

By the way, i am curious, Do you know what happens if the framerate drops below 60FPS?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Jan 2018, 14:32

rasmas wrote:So that technology would allow to have strobe backlight even at less than 30fps? But the flickering would be still present, right? Well, you can't know, but i am trying to imagine how that could work :P
At 30FPS it would most certainly double-strobe (or even triple-strobe.) 30Hz flicker is not tolerable. It causes severe discomfort.
By the way, i am curious, Do you know what happens if the framerate drops below 60FPS?
Nothing special happens. You get stutter, as you'd expect. You also get double-image effects, just like on a CRT monitor.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 06 Jan 2018, 15:22

RealNC wrote:
rasmas wrote:So that technology would allow to have strobe backlight even at less than 30fps? But the flickering would be still present, right? Well, you can't know, but i am trying to imagine how that could work :P
At 30FPS it would most certainly double-strobe (or even triple-strobe.) 30Hz flicker is not tolerable. It causes severe discomfort.
Nothing special happens. You get stutter, as you'd expect. You also get double-image effects, just like on a CRT monitor.
Well, on some games, sometimes, i only get a few fps above 30fps, so i guess at that framerate i should deactivate MBR (maybe Volta releases soon with no stutters for me).

Also, what brand behave "fine" on 60Hz? only the models posted on the thread i linked before? XL2411Z, XL2420Z, XL2720Z and XL2430T? (thread is from 2016 so maybe there are more). I'm wondering if i should look at 144Hz for futureproof, although hope the LG is good enough :P .

Thanks for all the answers; this matter seem too deep and a bit confusing at first ;) .