Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasmas

Re: Request of advice and info to buy a new monitor.

Post by rasmas » 26 Jan 2018, 08:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Large VT is not limited to BenQ/Zowie

The step-by-step is in Appendix A of http://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk
It's a bit complicated now, I know.

I will try to advocate to manufacturers to create easier methods of creating Large Vertical Totals. Or even graphics vendors. Or a special modified ToastyX whose sole purpose is automatically create compatible Large Vertical Total modes.

Large VT are useful mainly for:
-- Reduce double-images for strobe crosstalk
-- Lower lag VSYNC ON -- "Quick Frame Delivery" (QFD).

QFD is a method of transmitting refresh cycles faster for lower-lag VSYNC ON operation. Basically higher dotclock + padding end of refresh cycle with larger VBI. So the refresh cycle is delivered more quickly to the monitor. HDMI 2.1 uses this officially but most FreeSync-compatible displays successfully support QFD via a Large Vertical Total trick.

We might create a Large VT Utility if nobody else does it (ToastyX etc). Make Large VT much easier for our users by 2018-2019! But for now, Large VT is often complicated.
I'm reading it and yes it is complicated as i don't understand most i see (i have to read your answer pretty often to remember it xD ).

But before touching something, i have to ask: can i damage the monitor (on the worst posible scenario)? Is it worthy to try with this 24mp59 or maybe it would be better to try a different monitor (no idea which one yet)?

I like the colours but it has that orange and blue thing (i can get used to it i think), and maybe to adjust it, it is harder because it is IPS. I chose it because i can't reach more than 60fps usually (from 30 to 90) and this one had 75hz so thought it would be better than a 144hz monitor with 85 blur reduction at lowest.

Probably i'm mixing things but even with your explanations (that i keep reading :P ) it is a bit hard for me to understand how these motion blur methods can work on games with low fps, or if any MBR method is worthy if you don't get more than 85fps stables (i keep mixing i my head monitor hz, fps, and strobe hz xD).

So, in short, is this monitor worthy on your opinion? ;) (just a warning: even with your answer i can choose the other option, so don't get angry :P ;) ).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2018, 10:22

75 Hz is too low for good-quality strobing in any brand of any monitor.

Doesn't matter the brand.

If blur reduction is your #1 priority, get high Hz.

One of those 165 Hz IPS monitors, for example.

Or example, the 144Hz G-SYNC monitors has good-quality 85 Hz ULMB.

The extra Hz-room improves quality of strobe-based blur reduction below Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 26 Jan 2018, 10:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:75 Hz is too low for good-quality strobing in any brand of any monitor.

Doesn't matter the brand.

If blur reduction is your #1 priority, get high Hz.

One of those 165 Hz IPS monitors, for example.

Or example, the 144Hz G-SYNC monitors has good-quality 85 Hz ULMB.

The extra Hz-room improves quality of strobe-based blur reduction below Hz.
Well, not sure if my #1 priority, as i have no experienced a good MBR, but i think that if you have a clear image it can make any game more enjoyable, so yes, maybe it is important to me to have a "nice to look at" image.

But IPS or TN? Do these IPSs are ready to have less blur? RealNC recommended me TNs but maybe there are no difference on high end monitors? (although all IPS are 1440p and i'm pretty sure i must discard these xD ).

About the 75Hz on this monitor i can say i cannot feel the flickering so i guess they did a good job here, i wonder why others do not offer that option, even if worse than 85hz.

And, as RealNC told me, while i cannot reach more than 60fps, would you recomend to use that 85Hz ULMB-MBR or i should keep that option off untill i buy a new GPU? I ask because i want clear image and if i cannot have it because of my GPU, i don't know if it is worthy to buy an "expensive" monitor with Blur reduction, or should i just buy a cheaper one with same(?) results :P .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2018, 13:15

How many years do you typically keep a monitor?

Some people keep monitors for 5 years.

So they sometimes upgrade the monitor before they upgrade the GPU. Even 40fps at 144Hz generally has less input lag than 40fps at 60fps, so there are still benefits for competitive gameplay.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 27 Jan 2018, 06:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:How many years do you typically keep a monitor?

Some people keep monitors for 5 years.

So they sometimes upgrade the monitor before they upgrade the GPU. Even 40fps at 144Hz generally has less input lag than 40fps at 60fps, so there are still benefits for competitive gameplay.
Well, i keep monitors until they break xD . The last one lasted more han 7 years (not sure), and i would have kept it if it hadn't broke xD .

Also, today i am a bit confused and i think i am not understanding something correctly. I have found that with MBR on and response time at "high" i get the best results (although i get that "photo negative" effect), so yesterday i played a game and after a while i noticed i have the game limited to 30fps, but, and that's what confuses me, i didn't notice any "weird" effect; i thought at 30fps i should get double images or intense flickering, but i only noticed that it has some blur (although not sure if because that "photo negative" effect) but i guess better than without MBR (will try to test today but i'm a bit busy). So, is this behavoir correct or this monitors is "better" than others at 30fps? On one of these 144hz monitors if i activate the 85Hz MBR will i be able to play at 30fps or it will be awful (= worse that with this one)? and what about 120Hz MBR at 30fps? (maybe with these settings i'll get the fickering, as they flicker "more often" to match the higher amount of fps?).

Sorry if i do pretty obvious questions, but not sure why it is harder for me to understand this subjet ;) .

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Jan 2018, 06:39

rasmas wrote:On one of these 144hz monitors if i activate the 85Hz MBR will i be able to play at 30fps or it will be awful (= worse that with this one)? and what about 120Hz MBR at 30fps? (maybe with these settings i'll get the fickering, as they flicker "more often" to match the higher amount of fps?).
The flicker will be the same: 85Hz flicker.

You will get stutter though when using 30FPS@85Hz. There will also be some (smaller) stutter at 30FPS@120Hz, but you will get a quadruple image effect (because 120 is 4 times 30, so the same image flashed 4 times.)

To reduce stutter, you need to use 1/4 vsync at 120Hz when using 30FPS (configurable in profile inspector.)

For 85Hz, you need to play at 42.5FPS and use 1/2 vsync. You can use RTSS to set a 42.5FPS limit by editing the RTSS profile file. (See this post on Guru3D on how to edit the profile file of RTSS.)

However, all in all, at low frame rates like 30FPS or 42.5FPS, I wouldn't use blur reduction. I think it's better without and using g-sync instead makes more sense.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 27 Jan 2018, 10:35

RealNC wrote:
rasmas wrote:On one of these 144hz monitors if i activate the 85Hz MBR will i be able to play at 30fps or it will be awful (= worse that with this one)? and what about 120Hz MBR at 30fps? (maybe with these settings i'll get the fickering, as they flicker "more often" to match the higher amount of fps?).
The flicker will be the same: 85Hz flicker.

You will get stutter though when using 30FPS@85Hz. There will also be some (smaller) stutter at 30FPS@120Hz, but you will get a quadruple image effect (because 120 is 4 times 30, so the same image flashed 4 times.)

To reduce stutter, you need to use 1/4 vsync at 120Hz when using 30FPS (configurable in profile inspector.)

For 85Hz, you need to play at 42.5FPS and use 1/2 vsync. You can use RTSS to set a 42.5FPS limit by editing the RTSS profile file. (See this post on Guru3D on how to edit the profile file of RTSS.)

However, all in all, at low frame rates like 30FPS or 42.5FPS, I wouldn't use blur reduction. I think it's better without and using g-sync instead makes more sense.
I think i understand that but, when playing at 75Hz and 30fps, shouldn't i have gotten any issue? I didn't notice stutter or flickering, just not too sharp "blurless" image (not too bad either). Maybe this 24mp59g panel is designed for low framerate and works better than those others?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Jan 2018, 23:09

rasmas wrote:I think i understand that but, when playing at 75Hz and 30fps, shouldn't i have gotten any issue? I didn't notice stutter or flickering, just not too sharp "blurless" image (not too bad either). Maybe this 24mp59g panel is designed for low framerate and works better than those others?
There is stutter when running 30FPS@75Hz. It becomes more obvious when you compare it to 60Hz 1/2 vsync.

Note: After setting 1/2 vsync in inspector, you might need to reboot for this setting to have an effect in games.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 28 Jan 2018, 06:46

RealNC wrote:
rasmas wrote:I think i understand that but, when playing at 75Hz and 30fps, shouldn't i have gotten any issue? I didn't notice stutter or flickering, just not too sharp "blurless" image (not too bad either). Maybe this 24mp59g panel is designed for low framerate and works better than those others?
There is stutter when running 30FPS@75Hz. It becomes more obvious when you compare it to 60Hz 1/2 vsync.

Note: After setting 1/2 vsync in inspector, you might need to reboot for this setting to have an effect in games.
Sorry, i forgot to say i han an old AMD 6870 so i can't use inspector. But probably you are right.

I'd like to add that after some testing of MBR+High response time i have not noticed too much difference with just High response time. In test, like photo test, i can see difference but ingame it looks too close.

The colours are great even with the pixelated orange and blue. I think this is the same panel than the LG 24mp68 but this MP59 has the MBR; not sure if the MP68 has pixelates colours.

I will test this a few days just on games to see if i can like it, but if not i will try to find another one, probably 144hz (too bad LG only has curved monitors because i usually like LGs).

Thank you both of you for your answers ;) .

As i said, you can ask me something if you are interested on this monitor's features or something.

P.S. this is not a "close" message, i realized it sounds like that when rereading :P , so you can add more info if you want ;) .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2018, 18:26

rasmas wrote:The last one lasted more han 7 years (not sure), and i would have kept it if it hadn't broke xD .
That's often even more reason to make sure you get a monitor that's ahead of your GPU.
You're not likely to keep your 6870 for 7 years, are you?
rasmas wrote:so yesterday i played a game and after a while i noticed i have the game limited to 30fps, but, and that's what confuses me, i didn't notice any "weird" effect; i thought at 30fps i should get double images or intense flickering, but i only noticed that it has some blur
If you turn on FreeSync (which your monitor supports), it automatically turns off MBR. So perhaps FreeSync has already automatically turned itself on? What does your monitor menus say?

Some people who buy monitors today (that apparently has FreeSync) and connect to a system that already has an AMD GPU, and FreeSync automatically gets enabled even without them knowing! FreeSync is over 6 times more sales than G-SYNC because some 75Hz FreeSync monitors cost only $100 now! Many users aren't aware FreeSync is enabled already helping them!

FreeSync (and G-SYNC) helps fix most stuttering in your games. See DEMO: Animation of variable refresh rate to fix stutters (Compare VRR versus VSYNC ON, for slow random frame rates).

VRR helps make all framerates smooth.
47 frames per second means monitor is perfect-smooth 47 Hertz, no stutter, no tearing.
55 frames per second means monitor is perfect-smooth 55 Hertz, no stutter, no tearing.
etc.

Is this what is happening to you? FreeSync automatically being turned ON which also automatically turns MBR OFF. If this is what happened, then you may have a better mode than MBR at least for the framerates appropriate to your system. Motion blur reduction (MBR) tends to be better at triple-digit frame rates and triple-digit refresh rates -- which is important if MBR is a bigger priority to you.

That said, FreeSync may have ghosting issues similar to LCD Overdrive Artifacts depending on how your framerates modulate. This is mostly unavoidable, but if it bothers you a lot, a different monitor may help.