5 months artifacting

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Bluffergod

5 months artifacting

Post by Bluffergod » 08 Jan 2018, 23:05

I've had artifacting for a few months. I rma'd they changed my GPU. came back and it did the same thing as before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUZPcRjms8

Now I went to local shop and they just told me that the pc is fine but its something related to my monitor (a setting or something)
All my settings r the same as before it used to not artifact

Now they're asking me my monitor....I have a benq xl2411z curious to see what they will tell me tomorrow.

Note: I have red dots in youtube videos or stream 20% of the times (they move until I pause video, they stop moving and stay on the screen)
On the SAME monitor and different computer, none of this happens

Two diff "technicians" told me pc is fine

Help?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 5 months artifacting

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 00:33

Definitely not the monitor.... It successfully got recorded into YouTube.

I've seen this before when the graphics card overheated -- corrupted vertex coordinates on the GPU creates triangular and quadrilateral artifacts exactly like this. Are you overclocking? Throttle back a smidgen and it usually disappears. This will not happen in all games, but some games are more overclock-sensitive (overheats more easily).

To prevent this in future, try this:
(1) Add an extra fan blowing at your graphics card
(2) Underclock your graphics card slightly (by 5%)
(3) Move computer away from heater vents. It's winter, so accidental overheats are common if your computer is next to a heater.

This might not be it (I've seen warranty claims), but if 2 GPUs did the same thing, then I'm pretty sure that it's a possible overheating issue.

Here's framegrabs from your YouTube confirming that this comes from your GPU. (the "." and "," keys in YouTube singlesteps frames when paused, making it easy to screenshot -- and make technical support easier if you email them to your GPU vendor)
defect1.jpg
defect1.jpg (141.3 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
defect2.jpg
defect2.jpg (166.27 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
defect3.jpg
defect3.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Jan 2018, 00:35

It could be just the game, I remember the same shit happening on Dayz which is also a very open world game years ago. could be the same thing. It's defiantly not the monitor because you are recording it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/ ... atch_1724/

The red dot thing, make sure your cable is plugged in correctly and you're not using a 5meter cable because broken/cheap or super long cables can cause pixel errors.

Also try and take a screenshot of it, if it show up in the screenshot then it's not the monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 00:41

I notice it only happens in only 1 frame out of 100+ so screenshotting is really tough on this kinda stuff. Need to record video and then do a screenshot framegrab.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 09 Jan 2018, 00:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Definitely not the monitor.... It successfully got recorded into YouTube.

I've seen this before when the graphics card overheated -- corrupted vertex coordinates on the GPU creates triangular and quadrilateral artifacts exactly like this. Are you overclocking? Throttle back a smidgen and it usually disappears. This will not happen in all games, but some games are more overclock-sensitive (overheats more easily).

To prevent this in future, try this:
(1) Add an extra fan blowing at your graphics card
(2) Underclock your graphics card slightly (by 5%)
(3) Move computer away from heater vents. It's winter, so accidental overheats are common if your computer is next to a heater.

This might not be it (I've seen warranty claims), but if 2 GPUs did the same thing, then I'm pretty sure that it's a possible overheating issue.

Here's framegrabs from your YouTube confirming that this comes from your GPU. (the "." and "," keys in YouTube singlesteps frames when paused, making it easy to screenshot -- and make technical support easier if you email them to your GPU vendor)
defect1.jpg
defect2.jpg
defect3.jpg
Thank you for the awnser.
When I rma'd (bunch of retards tbh, they also scammed 8 gb of my ram out of my pc)
They said they changed my gpu

Still did nothing though

Now this local store tells me pc works fine but something related to the monitor like maybe update or drivers is the problem (not the monitor itself)

They tested it and from what they said I think (just saw the email) it doesnt do it on certain of their monitors and on some

To awnser your questions
1- I have two front fans and a cpu cooler already (nothing in my pc is overclocked) idle temps are about 22c for cpu and about 33 for gpu
2- my gpu isnt overclocked and its set to optimal power in nvidia (tried every settings though)
3- my computer is on the side of the heater vent in my room but its not close and it still does it even when my pc has been turned off for like 24 hours and its super cold......i'll load pc, open pubg and it does it in main menu doing nothing (it does it 24-7, there's not a minute where it doesnt do it) so its not a temperature issue

My pc is an i5 6600k
16gb
gtx 1070 evga

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 09 Jan 2018, 00:51

The artifacting doesn't appear in screenshots..only if I record

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 00:54

This becomes tough to troubleshoot. Try using conservative motherboard settings and seeing what happens.

I can confirm that it's definitely occurring in the GPU and definitely not the monitor. Point the store to this thread and when they see the screenshots, they will quickly agree with me. Am I the first person that successfully got static framegrabs of your artifact? It is not an easy artifact to screenshot. Anything screenshottable by computer definitely isn't caused by the monitor.

The artifact is VERY hard to screenshot because it happens less than 1 in 100 frames. Which means less than 1 in 100 screenshots would have the artirfact. You would probably have to screenshot 200 or 300 times before you successfully caught it by screenshot.

Remember if you are playing 60 frames per second, and the artifact only shows up about once every three seconds, that means you're playing the lottery odds of 1 in 180 chance of successful screenshot. That's why video is much easier on this type of artifact: Video recording is simply a continuous series of consecutive screenshots (that's what gameplay video is: It's a continuous series of screenshots, all compressed into a video).

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 09 Jan 2018, 01:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:This becomes tough to troubleshoot. Try using conservative motherboard settings and seeing what happens.

I can confirm that it's definitely occurring in the GPU and definitely not the monitor. Point the store to this thread and when they see the screenshots, they will quickly agree with me. Am I the first person that successfully got static framegrabs of your artifact? It is not an easy artifact to screenshot. Anything screenshottable by computer definitely isn't caused by the monitor.

The artifact is VERY hard to screenshot because it happens less than 1 in 100 frames. Which means less than 1 in 100 screenshots would have the artirfact. You would probably have to screenshot 200 or 300 times before you successfully caught it by screenshot.

Remember if you are playing 60 frames per second, and the artifact only shows up about once every three seconds, that means you're playing the lottery odds of 1 in 180 chance of successful screenshot. That's why video is much easier on this type of artifact: Video recording is simply a continuous series of consecutive screenshots (that's what gameplay video is: It's a continuous series of screenshots, all compressed into a video).
Im not really that good in this kind of thing but yeah. I appreciate your effort!

Hmm, well. I guess that's why it's never appeared in any of my PUBG wins when I screenshot them

I don't have any artifacts everrr when playing CSGO, only on pubg...it happened in september randomly after they did an update I think....been like 5 months since then I have it every day. I rma'd took 3 months -.- waited for nothing

Any idea why it happens only in pubg? it does it even in main menu after i load the game for 2 seconds..it not the same kind of artifact but its like tiny lines around the center of my screen near my character

Havnt spoken to local shop yet but I think they said it might be like firmware thing to my monitor or driver to monitor? something like that if I understood..

Can that be possible?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 01:15

No. Definitely not the monitor. Waste of time to chase that troubleshooting path. If the store keeps insisting, show them this forum thread and they'll now agree it's not the monitor.

Everytime I've seen this artifact, it's always somewhere between the game and the GPU. Game bug, GPU overheat, overclocking, corrupted game install, memory timings issue, etc. Yes, it can be software -- like a game bug that only happens at certain frame rates.

For PUBG, does this ever happen when you use VSYNC ON or FastSync?

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 09 Jan 2018, 01:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:No. Definitely not the monitor. Waste of time to chase that troubleshooting path. If the store keeps insisting, show them this forum thread and they'll now agree it's not the monitor.

Everytime I've seen this artifact, it's always somewhere between the game and the GPU. Game bug, GPU overheat, overclocking, corrupted game install, memory timings issue, etc. Yes, it can be software -- like a game bug that only happens at certain frame rates.

For PUBG, does this ever happen when you use VSYNC ON or FastSync?
I've reinstalled like 3 times, and windows clean installed once.
Can't be a windows or game corrupt after all these tries

I verified pubg game cache
Reinstalled pubg

My gpu isn't overheated by any mean when I just load up pubg after opening my pc...just in main menu for first 2 min my temps on gpu is prob like 40c and its still artifacting in the main menu!!!!!

nothing is overclocked

doesnt happen in csgo