DLP as an esports monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
open

DLP as an esports monitor?

Post by open » 13 Jan 2018, 03:30

I still remember using my parents 120hz DLP. The experience was really the only time that I remember spinning view around in games and feeling like it had no motion blur at all. Are there any DLP's that could be used as esports monitors with low input lag?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: DLP as an esports monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jan 2018, 13:14

You may have seen 120Hz + BFI (the 3D mode) which makes a DLP look like ULMB or LightBoost. Can be real sweet when you see low-persistence DLP.

Many DLP projectors have relatively low input lag. Lower than an HDTV. Not quite as low as a gaming monitor, as most do full frame buffer processing before scanning out to the DLP chip (which is extremely fast, as the pixels pulse at kilohertz)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 13 Jan 2018, 18:40

I don't remember. I think it was a color wheel DLP because I remember seeing color trails on credits after movies. It did have a 60hz 3D mode. I played portal 2 using 3D. It had some crosstalk which was annoying. As far as I know the color wheel DLPs would have ~1/3 persistence so ~2.7ms maybe just built in due to the technology as long as its not double pulsed.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2018, 00:18

open wrote:I don't remember. I think it was a color wheel DLP because I remember seeing color trails on credits after movies. It did have a 60hz 3D mode. I played portal 2 using 3D. It had some crosstalk which was annoying. As far as I know the color wheel DLPs would have ~1/3 persistence so ~2.7ms maybe just built in due to the technology as long as its not double pulsed.
The color wheels don't create 1/3rd persistence -- you need all RGB colors to be simultaneously low-persistence and pulsed only once per refresh cycle. Right now, 6X colorwheels pulse the colors 6 times per refresh cycles, e.g. 360Hz color rotation. So that doesn't work well for lowering persistence on a per-color basis. TestUFO motion blur trails is still full sized at 60Hz (16.7ms of motion blur = 16.7 pixels of motion blur at 1000 pixels/sec = 16 pixels of motion blur at 960 pixels/sec).

3D mode on DLPs often automatically enable BFI (As a shutter glasses shutter-switch time: Projector is temporarily blacked out between refresh cycles while waiting for shutter glasses to switch eyes which takes a finite amount of time) but it also essentially doubles as a low-persistence 120Hz mode. This is probably what you saw since 120Hz on a 3D-glasses-capable projector, often enables a low-persistence mode similar to ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!