got XL2740 today, simple review, any questions?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Falkentyne

Re: got XL2740 today, simple review, any questions?

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Jun 2018, 15:36

A Solid lad wrote:Don't worry, I'll try to test it and leave a reply in the new thread.
Thank you very much.
If this monitor does 60hz *SINGLE STROBE*, I can finally get rid of my dimming XL2720Z. Finally.
I just don't want to spend $500 dollars to find out that it doesn't.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 06 Jun 2018, 16:28

Falkentyne wrote:
A Solid lad wrote:Don't worry, I'll try to test it and leave a reply in the new thread.
Thank you very much.
If this monitor does 60hz *SINGLE STROBE*, I can finally get rid of my dimming XL2720Z. Finally.
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I've got bad news for you...
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Jun 2018, 18:20

A Solid lad wrote:
Falkentyne wrote:
Thank you very much.
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I've got bad news for you...
Yes i saw your reply. It's 100% clear it's double storbing, or creating TWO strobe images per frame (strobing at 8.3ms on/off cycles, which is two strobes in a 16.7ms (60hz) cycle, which creates two distinct images.

my reply I wrote:
A Solid lad wrote:First off, thank you all for the replies.

I did what you asked me to do, Mark:
And it works.
Albeit there's little to no merit using it as it is, since you can make the same adjustments from the service menu + the persistence slider currently works the other way around. (Adjusting the slider towards "Brighter Screen" for example, actually lowers the brightness.)
...AND it only goes down to 3, as opposed to the setting in the service menu, which goes all the way down to 1, which results in an even brighter screen.
Again, only brightness is affected by the Persistence slider. (Same as story as the intensity setting in the service menu.)

Now 60hz, Falkentyne:
First off, a strange observation...
Setting the monitor to 60hz, instead of 240, gets rid of the buzzing noise...enabling blur reduction brings it back :D

So yes, BR does work, but it doesn't eliminate the blur, just slightly reduces it. If I remember corretly, that means it double strobes? I don't really pay attantion when I see talk about 60hz stuff, since I know I'm not going to be using it anytime soon.

OK, next up is lexlazootin:
Yes, I know buying and returning monitors isn't a nice thing...but looking at it realistically: I'm a selfish person, companies are selfish as well, YOU are selfish as well.
I'm doing this so that I could gather valuable information, while keeping the product as intact as possible.

AAAAnd yes, I know that my videos are way too long winded for a normal person, with an average attention span, I'm too lazy to script and edit them as I should. :lol:
But thanks for the reminder...if I get told enough times to do something about it, I might end up doing so... so just keep telling me please. Seriously. I need to be pestered. :lol:

Now finally...I've arrived at the hard part, trying to reply to k2viper, without offending him. (And/Or sounding like a total d1ck.) Because I really don't want to... I like him. (No homo.)
I'll be short and clear:
You're bringing up numbers and assumptions about the responsiveness and motion clarity of each monitor...but, you're only assuming how other monitors compare to the LG 27GK750F-B.
I have actually tried and played games on all of the monitors in my sig. For prolonged periods of time, while fiddling with each monitor's settings.
All of that experience leads me to say, that the LG and the Acer felt the least responsive, while the AW2518Hf and XL2740 the most responsive.
The Acer skips frames, so I'm disregarding that "result" of mine... but the LG doesn't...and as such ---WAIT

I was just about to quote HARDWARE.INFO on the lag numbers and elaborate further...so while I was at it, I also checked tftcentral to see whether or not they've released their reiew on the LG...and they did!
Here's the link for the full review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gk750f.htm

This confirms all of my suspicions. I've felt it in my guts... I knew I couldn't trust HARDWARE.INFO's overly positive results.
The monitor didn't feel sluggish for me for no reason...
Ridiculously high input lag for a 240hz monitor, no matter what their description says below the lag measurements.

I don't think there's any need for me to try and prove my point about the LG feeling sluggish anymore, but I'll add this:
It's not just the input lag. The way that motion is displayed on the LG is messed up... it seems smeary ingame, can't find a better word for it... this imo, hugely contributes to the sluggish feeling I felt while playing games on it.

P.s.: If I did in the end, come off as a d1ck, I apologise, I have to work on that.
Yes that means it is double strobing.
if it single strobes, you would be seeing VERY noticeable flickering of the backlight and you should get a perfectly smooth image (at least until the higher testuFO speeds). But the key is you would see very large amounts of backlight flicker.

Double strobe means that it's strobing TWICE every 16.7 ms, or in other words, it's doing a strobe flash every 8.3ms (meaning the entire backlight on+backlight off cycle lasts 8.3ms, however the amount of time the backlight is on, compared to how long it's off, depends on the persistence setting (or "Intensity, as it's called in the service menu).

double strobing isn't awful but it's unnatural, because you see a double image, rather than a blurry single image. Seeing a double image on your screen is not natural to the eyes. Better to have flicker, than that.

Thus I'm passing on this monitor.