got XL2740 today, simple review, any questions?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dreamstr1ker

Re: got XL2740 today, simple review, any questions?

Post by dreamstr1ker » 21 Jan 2018, 19:44

Maxe wrote:
dreamstr1ker wrote:yes. i believe so, I place the monitor next to chassis it's still noticeable while web surfing, while gaming the air-cooling noise kicks in
Thank you for checking. Seems to be an issue with the 240hz panels that many don't notice or comment on I suppose.
today I found that noise still exists at 60hz, when I change the resolution the noise disappears for couple seconds and return, pretty sure about that

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 08 Feb 2018, 03:47

Hello dreamstr1ker,
Can you post a picture of https://testufo.com/crosstalk fullscreen, specifically with Blur reduction on, in 240hz mode?
I also have 27" 240hz model (LG) and its interesting to compare it with XL2740, since they are much similar displays.

Image Image

darzo

Post by darzo » 09 Feb 2018, 04:16

lexlazootin wrote:I've got a Acer 240hz 24" G-Sync that doesn't make a sound.
You might not be as lucky with a 27-inch version. I've had two with it, and other reviewers on Amazon noted it as well.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 09 Feb 2018, 05:13

darzo wrote:You might not be as lucky with a 27-inch version. I've had two with it, and other reviewers on Amazon noted it as well.
Try LG's 27" (topic around), no coil sounds, also its PSU is external, so if its even make a sound - its easy to hide it to have inaudible.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2018, 13:38

k2viper wrote:Hello dreamstr1ker,
Can you post a picture of https://testufo.com/crosstalk fullscreen, specifically with Blur reduction on, in 240hz mode?
I also have 27" 240hz model (LG) and its interesting to compare it with XL2740, since they are much similar displays.

Image Image
Can you please retake those photos....They're blurry when I zoom in.

Smartphone cameras have a hard time focussing on moving patterns, so tap-to-focus on the monitor OSD (that will force a smartphone camera to focus properly), or use tap-n-hold-to-focus to lock focus on a stationary monitor image before displaying a moving pattern.

Note: For strobe crosstalk, make sure you use a fast shutter speed (one refresh cycle or less). Pursuit cameras are better for capturing display motion blur -- but static photography is okay for strobe crosstalk tests (e.g. top, center, bottom) as long as the photo captures only one strobe flash.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2018, 13:38

k2viper wrote:Hello dreamstr1ker,

Image Image
Can you please retake those photos....They're blurry when I zoom in.

Smartphone cameras have a hard time focussing on moving patterns, so tap-to-focus on the monitor OSD (that will force a smartphone camera to focus properly), or use tap-n-hold-to-focus to lock focus on a stationary monitor image before displaying a moving pattern.

Note: For strobe crosstalk, make sure you use a fast shutter speed (one refresh cycle or less). Pursuit cameras are better for capturing display motion blur -- but static photography is okay for strobe crosstalk tests (e.g. top, center, bottom) as long as the photo captures only one strobe flash.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 09 Feb 2018, 14:12

Image Image Image

Other camera. Tried to pursuit with hand.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 04 Jun 2018, 03:42

I now have the XL2740 too, and I gotta say I'm impressed.
...even though as stated earlier, the "Intensity" setting in the service menu only affects the brightness, strobe utility detects the monitor, but chaning values does nothing, and the buzzing noise at anything above 144hz is present. (Without closed back headphones in a quiet room, it will be annoying.)
Firmware version V001 20171020

So why am I still impressed?
Well, that's because of multiple reasons.
1, This is the first 27" 1080p 240hz monitor, out of the three I've tried (xf270ha, LG 27GK750F-b, and this) which doesn't look like a$$.
You know that it's a common point to make in an argument on 1440p 27" vs 1080p 27" discussions, that 1080p is not enough for that screen size...it doesn't look sharp enough, it's blurry in comparison to 1440p.
AAAAAAnd, that's exactly the case with the other two monitors I've tried, not this one though.
A lot depends on the implementation and features I guess, because this monitor, after just a little bit of setting up, looks just as sharp as my xl2411z 24" 1080p display did (With way better colors and contrast on the xl2740 I might add!) ...just stretched out to 27".

2, Finally, this 27" screen is as responsive, as the aw2518Hf, which I found to be the most responsive, out of all the 240hz screens I've tried. (Yes it felt snappier than even the aw2518H, it's g-sync counterpart)

3, Also finally, onscreen motion on a 27" 240hz, is not smeary anymore... on the LG 27GK750, it was. (Can't evaluate the xf270ha fairly, as it had frameskipping)
I'm sorry k2viper, but you're probably only happy with that monitor, because you haven't tried any other 240hz screen.

Scrolling through text is the best I've seen on any monitor to date. Using an AMA setting of High, text won't become thicker or thinner (as it happened on all the LG and ACER 27" screens I've tried) when scrolling, also...
and this is a first, there doesn't seem to be any visible coronas appearing behind the letters! (Like it happened on all other high refresh rate LCDs I've tried, when having even the lowest overdrive setting enabled...)
The olny thing I get is a bit of blurryness when I try to scroll this essay I just wrote (lol) ...let me try turning on strobing for a sec...
So, now with Blur reduction turned on, with "Intesity" set to 1 (for max brightness) and "Area" set to 10 (because I can't seem to get a noticeable improvement in regards to crosstalk by changing it... so I'm just leaving it on default cos too lazy to tinker further),
Scrolled text is even clearer with less blur! The characters are still not getting thicker or thinner. The only downside is, that they seem a bit stuttery... I assume that is either a result of crosstalk or black frame insertion itself.

To conclude this section, I think the scrolling test demonstrates pretty nicely, why I didn't like the LG 27GK750... just like text, everything else ingame just looked different, when it was in motion.
Can't remember wheter text on that monitor got thicker or thinner when in motion...but one of the two things took place, which was REALLY distracting for me...
The thing is, this effect can't be picked up on the moving UFO tests...on those tests, the LG seems to be a good performer, and only now, while writing this pseudo-review, did I come to the realization that I actually have a way of showing you (the text scroll test) what I mean when I say the motion on the LG 27GK750 look grainy in comparison to screens like the Dell aw2518Hf, aw2518H, Benq xl2411z and xl2740.

So, my previous favorite (being the aw2518hf) 240hz screen has been dethroned, hail the xl2740... I love this screen.

As for blur reduction: 240hz strobing is awesome, way more fluid, than 144hz strobing was on the g-sync aw2518H, albeit with more crosstalk... but it's still at an acceptable level. Overshoot was also very much visible ingame on the g-sync Alienware when using strobing, it is not on the xl2740.
Yes, it feels more responsive than LG's 1ms strobing on the 27GK750... but that applies to sample-and-hold operation as well.
If strobing is this good without DyAc, I can't imagine how much brighter and more responsive that has to be on the xl2546... it may even have less crosstalk? (Somebody who has tried that monitor should clarify)

Any questions are welcome.
I'm also planning to make a similar video on it, as I did with the Alienware monitors and Acer monitor on my channel...
I have around a week to do that, since I have to send this monitor back...can't keep it, even though I came love it quickly, the ridiculous price of 580 eur is keeping me from that.
Also, I'd feel like an idiot, if I were to keep this monitor, and a couple of months from now, Benq would come out with a new, even better version of it, which has DyAc and uses the new 27" 1080p 240hz 3ms(!!!) base response time panels (which can be then pushed down further with overdrive) that AU optronics will make.
(FYI The xl2740, and most all high refresh rate TN panels currently out on the market use a panel with a base response time of 5ms, which is then lowered by overdrive)
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Jun 2018, 13:37

I know you guys are sick of hearing me ask this but.....will this still strobe at 60hz refresh rate? :/
(lots of flicker?). Or does blur reduction simply become unavailable? You'll know if it works if you get a perfectly smooth image on Testufo website.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 06 Jun 2018, 14:42

Don't worry, I'll try to test it and leave a reply in the new thread.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.