Bright line appearing on XL2411

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
haysken

Bright line appearing on XL2411

Post by haysken » 18 Jan 2018, 14:20

Hello!

There's something happening with my new monitor(XL2411) that it's bothering me.

There's kind of a shaky lightning line that comes up whenever i get close to the
screen and intensifies if i start to move my head back and forth.

It has the thickness of a pinky finger and it's more visible in a bright background.

This lightning gets a curved aspect if i move my head sideways and it starts to
"dance" in my screen following the movements of my head.

When i move my head away from the screen by at least one arm length it seems to
disappears.

It can occur at any spot. I just have to get close to it.

Can someone explain me what is causing this?

Thanks!

ps: sorry for my english

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Bright line appearing on XL2411

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2018, 14:45

haysken wrote:Hello!

There's something happening with my new monitor(XL2411) that it's bothering me.
Can you photograph it and post a picture?

What connection are you using? (HDMI, DVI, etc)

Does it disappear if you switch cables/ports?

Without seeing a photograph....
....Is this a reflection type artifact?
....Or a real, onscreen digital artifact?

If reflection artifact,
Try tilting your monitor up/down. See if this helps. Reflections of fluorescent lights, light strips, etc.

If a digital artifact,
You might be witnessing unusually strong RFI (radio frequency interference). Back in the old television days, even walking in a room could interfere with television reception. This doesn't happen (much) anymore for digital instsead of analog, but can still be enough to partially disrupt a weak digital signal (e.g. strong RFI into a poorly shielded digital cable). That means body movements can black out a very weakened digital signal.
-- This should never happen with good cables with good well-shielded monitors.
-- Try swapping DVI and HDMI cables
-- Try upgrading your video cable to a thicker, more well-shielded video cable
-- Move all routers and antennas (WiFI) a minimum of 3 meters away from your computer / video cables / monitor.
-- If you can't get a well-shielded cable, then try improving your cable management. Moving all your cables (especially power cables) further away from your video cable (e.g. DVI, DisplayPort), and don't wire your digital cable too close to your transformers or power bar. All of this weakens the digital signal, making it much more sensitive to disruptions by ambient RFI (which is affected by body movements which often strengthens/weakens signals that can be injected into poorly-shielded video cables).

It's fiddly like adjusting rabbit ears on an old analog TV, and only rarely happens on very bad, weak, poorly shielded cables in a very intense-interference environment. Very rare but it still sometimes happens and sometimes monitor makers actually recalls their monitors because of this (e.g. LG 5K was very sensitive to RFI interference) but the exact same weird kinds of thing happens to bad/weakened video cables to just about any monitor too, sometimes. Sometimes the video signal is literally 100 times weakened, right above the signal strength necessary to be interfered by ambient body movements reflecting over-the-air interference into a weakened/unshielded signal cable. Result: Digital video signal blanks out fully, interrmitently or partially (rainbow pixel noise, whiteouts, or blackouts, full or blocks of scanlines missing).

Also, lost DisplayPort micropackets sometimes manifests itself as scanlines of blankouts (white line, black line, noisy lines) rather than a full-refresh-cycle blankout/noiseout.

Just like a bad Internet connection can have dropped packets, your DisplayPort (a packetized version of DVI/HDMI) cable can have dropped packets too because of interference such as reflected wireless signals (from your moving human body) into a bad cable with a weakened signal. Has happened.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!