Desk Setup Thread! [POST YOUR PICS]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ko4

Re: Desk Setup Thread! [POST YOUR PICS]

Post by ko4 » 13 May 2019, 03:21

yes

open

Post by open » 15 May 2019, 18:24

PG258Q, Zowie ec1-a, E-Element Z-88. I'm using the mic on some backup iems taped to my monitor in case you're wondering what that is. It works better than the standalone mic I've tried. And it lets me use my Quadbeat 3 earbuds with my FiiO A3. To be honest with two peak filters they sound better than iems that cost 15 times what they do.

Darzo and Sharknice the way you have your elbow supported is the same way I've seen some pro gamers and streamers do. Including a very skilled person I played against on rust. So I'm quite tempted to try it even though I'm pretty adjusted to my current setup.

Chief that's a pretty nice overclock on that processor isn't it? What voltage are you running to achieve that?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2019, 16:54

open wrote:Chief that's a pretty nice overclock on that processor isn't it? What voltage are you running to achieve that?
I can usually do it at factory voltage if the watercooler is in top shape.

In reality, I usually add about 0.1V to get 5GHz reliably or so since the watercooler has slightly degraded in performance in the last 2 years. I need to do a cooling-maintenance refurbishment soon. It's the standard big Thermaltake 3.0 Triple Riing cooler, still on its original cooler fluid.

The 7740X was unusual two years ago in the respect of providing a reliable 5Ghz 4-core factory overclock.

The X299 chipset platform was fairly short lived, as the world went to octacore and Threadrippers, but since I was prioritizing on VR performance (I have an Oculus Rift), I wanted extremely good single-thread performance too (fewer but faster threads). I bought this system two years ago before the newer 8000 or 9000 series Intel CPUs came out -- the 7000 series CPUs were fairly short lived but the 4-core X7740 was well known as an easy 4-core 5GHz overclocker.

I can switch to the 7800X or 7820X once more threads are more important, unless I do a motherboard upgrade cycle to get access to the newer Intel chips. Even today, most gaming alas are way too dependant on really fast single-threads, and this system still outperforms even a 8000 and 9000 series CPU, so not in a hurry yet.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 20 May 2019, 12:58

Very nice. I can do 5 ghz and 4.6 cache at 1.36v with -2 but I usually run 4.8 at 1.275v 4.5 cache -2. Its pretty average for a 9700k. I just always wanted to try a big air cooler and I got my wish the thing barely fits.

Later this year will be interesting for cpus with zen maybe catching up on single thread. But zen3 and beyond looks crazy with the chiplet stacking. Not sure what intel is cooking up but they cannot be counted out yet. I think we have a good next 2-3 years for cpu buyers.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 26 May 2019, 07:42

open wrote:Very nice. I can do 5 ghz and 4.6 cache at 1.36v with -2 but I usually run 4.8 at 1.275v 4.5 cache -2. Its pretty average for a 9700k. I just always wanted to try a big air cooler and I got my wish the thing barely fits.

Later this year will be interesting for cpus with zen maybe catching up on single thread. But zen3 and beyond looks crazy with the chiplet stacking. Not sure what intel is cooking up but they cannot be counted out yet. I think we have a good next 2-3 years for cpu buyers.
Honestly I´m not that sure that AMD Zen 2 can beat Intel offerings. I mean, price vs performance wise and multi threaded apps, for sure, it will beat them! But for apps/games that like higher clocks, I doubt it.

First I doubt that Zen 2 can reach 5ghz across all cores like Intel CPUs, and second I doubt about the memory support, while on Intel using 4000mhz CL18 is pretty easy. But let´s wait and see. No doubts Zen 2 will be king on price vs performance department, but for pure raw performance I still doubt they will beat Intel.

open

Post by open » 27 May 2019, 01:45

I'm not sure about zen2 either. There are a few ways it could play out. 5ghz is probably optimistic for a 12 core all core turbo. Not to mention the 16 core version. But it will probably be close. And in a recent comparison a 2700x matched an 8700k when they were clocked equally. So an increase in ipc could aid it along. All in all I expect it to be only slightly behind the 9900k gaming performance. What's really exciting is zen3 which will have silicon dies stacked in both 2d and 3d. So it's going to be an agressive couple years at least for amd cpus.

On a side note I got my 9700k stable at 5ghz allcore 4.6ghz cache -2 avx at 1.32v asus llc5

open

Post by open » 27 May 2019, 01:55

ah well they just announced it. 3900x is the launch flagship 12 core 4.6ghz boost with 64mb l3 cache. yes thats right 64mb

They are advertising ~1% better single thread performance vs the 9900k. Probably this is without overclocking taken into account. Given that zen1 did not overclock well I still see the 9900k on top but its pretty close.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 27 May 2019, 15:46

If you noticed they used comparasions with intel CPUs on every possible benchmark, from cinebench to rendering etc, but in gaming comparasions they only used their previous Zen 2 2700x :D That shows me that they know they still can´t beat Intel in games, because isn´t all about IPC. Intel reaches crazy high clocks and doesn´t suffer from CCX latencies like AMD plus game devs optimize their engines for Intel a lot of times, not so much for AMD.

But let´s wait and see. Those turbo boosts are all 1 core only anyway, not every core.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 29 May 2019, 15:36

Notty_PT wrote:If you noticed they used comparasions with intel CPUs on every possible benchmark, from cinebench to rendering etc, but in gaming comparasions they only used their previous Zen 2 2700x :D That shows me that they know they still can´t beat Intel in games, because isn´t all about IPC. Intel reaches crazy high clocks and doesn´t suffer from CCX latencies like AMD plus game devs optimize their engines for Intel a lot of times, not so much for AMD.

But let´s wait and see. Those turbo boosts are all 1 core only anyway, not every core.
If it can run 4.7 on their Air Stock it might do 5GHz
Also having PCIe 4.0 makes SSD speeds so fast I'm shocked imagine moving 5gbs in 1s. Like what?
However I do think if they can't run faster Memory and get their 6/8 core clock speeds up there then I doubt it makes sense to buy it over a say 8700k.

I'm waiting on Navi though as that is the true win or loss.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 31 May 2019, 12:25

Did Notty post his desk setup picture?I am very curious how his looks like.A room with full of monitors I guess.:)