Desk Setup Thread! [POST YOUR PICS]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Desk Setup Thread! [POST YOUR PICS]

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Jan 2018, 09:26

I'm surprised we haven't done this yet like most community have.

I'm rocking a Acer XB252Q 24" 240hz G-Sync and a Dell P2415Q 24" 4k IPS, I've only very recently stole the 4k IPS off my brother and i've always known IPS looks good but having it side-by-side with my 240hz makes my 240hz look like rubbish and the IPS god-like :lol: It's amazing how good the IPS looks with the 4k 10bit panel. With a good linux UI with good scaling it might look pretty badass.

I've also got the Logitech G-Pro with a QCK limited mouse pad, ATH-M50 with velvet pads because the old ones wore off with a antlion mod-mic and a DASkeyboard that has pretty 'bad' latency. :x but I'm planning on building my own keyboard soon.

Join in if you want, i would be interested in seeing everyone elses setups :D

sharknice

Re: Desk Setup Thread! [POST YOUR PICS]

Post by sharknice » 19 Jan 2018, 21:31

Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560x1440 144hz gsync as my main monitor. Logitech Powerplay with the G903 mouse. G910 Orion Spark keyboard with the concave keycaps (I love them), and a Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum headset. My desk is custom made and fully adjustable with electric actuators.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Jan 2018, 21:58

Do you need to use 2 graphics cards to support all of those monitors?!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 20 Jan 2018, 03:28

Yes, I have a 1080 ti as my main card, then a second low end card plus the onboard graphics.

darzo

Post by darzo » 20 Jan 2018, 21:20

I have a VESA stand for two monitors and the longest Logitech mouse pad to position my monitors and mouse ideally. Functionality is the most important thing for performance. I end up having my mouse as well as keyboard under the playing monitor and the long mouse pad keeps the cable on the same surface with a bungee on top of books further reducing the contact area. Your setups look questionable to me, although I guess I'm quite different from some people who like having their mouse arm stick by the their body in the air while I have it completely on the desk and even reach in. Don't know if that's good or bad.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 21 Jan 2018, 16:11

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you sit so close to your monitor that your keyboard and mouse are behind the screen?

darzo

Post by darzo » 21 Jan 2018, 20:44

Well yes I sit close but even if I don't sit particularly close the stands just tend to get in the way. I think I've seen CS:GO pros sit close and put their monitors sort to the side in order to have room, but I don't understand why VESA stands aren't used. I haven't had a problem with my hand hitting up against the monitor and in Overwatch you do have to lift and swipe especially as I tend to play at a low sensitivity.

Maybe I'm somehow weird in what I prefer but this seems pretty logical to me. Straightforward. But yes, my arm is entirely on the desk as opposed to hanging to the side and I even reach in further. That might indeed be weird.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 22 Jan 2018, 11:19

My arm rests are lined up exactly with the desk height which allows me to do the same thing but sitting up straight. I use whole arm movements and about a 20 inch 360 for sensitivity.

Most people have their armrests set way too high, along with their entire desk surface that their keyboard and mouse is on. The surface should be barely above your legs so your arms only need to stick out a very small amount from your body to rest.

qudos

Post by qudos » 10 May 2019, 13:41

lexlazootin wrote:I'm surprised we haven't done this yet like most community have.

I'm rocking a Acer XB252Q 24" 240hz G-Sync and a Dell P2415Q 24" 4k IPS, I've only very recently stole the 4k IPS off my brother and i've always known IPS looks good but having it side-by-side with my 240hz makes my 240hz look like rubbish and the IPS god-like :lol: It's amazing how good the IPS looks with the 4k 10bit panel. With a good linux UI with good scaling it might look pretty badass.

I've also got the Logitech G-Pro with a QCK limited mouse pad, ATH-M50 with velvet pads because the old ones wore off with a antlion mod-mic and a DASkeyboard that has pretty 'bad' latency. :x but I'm planning on building my own keyboard soon.

Join in if you want, i would be interested in seeing everyone elses setups :D
I think you need a desk lamp to properly give yourself an immersive desk/work feeling, get some from these https://appuals.com/best-desk-lamps/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 May 2019, 15:50

To generate more traffic for this interesting thread, I've moved this thread to General.

Meahwhile, while my office/desk is too big of a mess to show in entirety -- I'll show off my two year old Blur Busters system, colored in Blur Busters logo color!

I put a lot of effort in the frosted UFO. Intel X7740 all-core 5Ghz watercooled overclocked in a ASRock Taichi X299 motherboard with an AORUS GeForce 1080 Ti Extreme. While only 4 threads (8 hyper), it makes Oculus Rift VR games total silk. It's a 100% legacy-free INWIN 303 case with no drive bays in use at all (there's a few hidden ones available under the motherboard if I ever need them). All I need is the three M.2 slots -- two of them currently filled with a few terabytes of SSD. Who needs old-fashioned drives? :D

(It looks better in person, the camera underexposed part of the system)

That said, I need a little more RGB to light up my custom frosted UFO better. ;) I generally prefer the clean-case look over the gnarly multi-faceted look of most gaming towers.

An unexpected side effect of RGB has been visual power mangement at a visual glance
<1 watt -- OFF state -- everything OFF
3 watt -- Sleep state -- only RAM lit up
60 watts -- Idle state -- GPU RGB light off
350 watts -- Gaming state -- Everything lit up like a christmas tree

(Kill-A-Watt meter measurements)

So RGB is more than just a bit of bling, I've put my computer to sleep a bit more ("the system's still disco, let me sleep it") to save electric bills whenever I'm away from the office, and the sleep state makes the RAM become a safety nightlight for the office.

Your turn. Post your desk pics or tower pics.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!