CRT, LCD and OLED pixel filmed on high end camera equipment!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mr.Fruitbaskets

CRT, LCD and OLED pixel filmed on high end camera equipment!

Post by Mr.Fruitbaskets » 20 Jan 2018, 08:22

phpBB [video]

Heres a neat video that shows pixels changing in real time under some of the strongest magnification you'll see, and serious slow motion too ;)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: CRT, LCD and OLED pixel filmed on high end camera equipm

Post by RealNC » 20 Jan 2018, 16:15

Very nice capture of the CRT electron scanline.

This actually made me think... Theoretically, an OLED screen could emulate that, right? Right now, rolling scan OLED has a thick "scanbar" with the pixels switching immediately to black after the scanbar passes over them. Wouldn't it be possible to fade the pixels to black instead to better simulate CRT phosphor decay? Shouldn't this make flicker softer and less aggressive to the eye?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: CRT, LCD and OLED pixel filmed on high end camera equipm

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2018, 17:12

RealNC wrote:Very nice capture of the CRT electron scanline.

This actually made me think... Theoretically, an OLED screen could emulate that, right? Right now, rolling scan OLED has a thick "scanbar" with the pixels switching immediately to black after the scanbar passes over them. Wouldn't it be possible to fade the pixels to black instead to better simulate CRT phosphor decay? Shouldn't this make flicker softer and less aggressive to the eye?
Fantastic video. And yes, fantastic idea!

Yes, I wrote about that on AVSFORUM.

Unfortunately a fade complicates the OLED tech:
-- It would require multiple pixel update cycles. Different refresh passes to "fade" an OLED pixel since it doesn't have a self-decaying function like a phosphor.
-- One could add a decay capacitor to an OLED pixel, but that can make image calibration difficult if pixel fade starts creating all kinds of artifacts (e.g. phosphor ghosting effects for bright colors).

I'd rather them focus 1000Hz instead of simulated fade. It may even be easier to engineer. Blurless sample-and-hold (Strobeless ULMB) can be superior to CRT once the technology finally arrives.

However, it'd be useful modes of operation though! A theoretical 1000Hz display can partially simulate phosphor fade of a lower-refresh rate via BFI + fading intermediate refresh cycles (in 1ms granularity steps).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!