LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by Notty_PT » 23 Dec 2018, 15:01

Gregix wrote:@Kheri
I would say, non strobed, 240hz *Asus XG248Q* is probably best monitor at the moment
I guess I fixed it for you :P Trust me, I had several 240hz from the first gen, Asus XG248Q completly outshines those first panels. Native 240hz, very fast panel and being 24 1080p is a plus too.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 23 Dec 2018, 15:08

Maybe, I was referring to size mostly as I use 27 only.
Was thinking about buying 24 Benq BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 but damn me, pay more for less inches, and I'm getting older, so smaller screen, more eye strain...nope, nope.
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 23 Dec 2018, 15:13

Notty_PT wrote:
Gregix wrote:@Kheri
I would say, non strobed, 240hz *Asus XG248Q* is probably best monitor at the moment
I guess I fixed it for you :P Trust me, I had several 240hz from the first gen, Asus XG248Q completly outshines those first panels. Native 240hz, very fast panel and being 24 1080p is a plus too.
The Asus monitor is an option too, but i also care a lot about the strobing! Since i never tried it, i'd like to have one with excellent strobing, dunno about the ELMB by ASUS.

@Gregix Thanks for the reply... looks like it's not so bad after all, despite what Solid Lad says.
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8Ghz - CF RX 580s - 3200CL16 DDR4 - Win10 64Bit - ViewSonic XG2401

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 23 Dec 2018, 16:05

Gregix wrote:@captain_amn
Strobed...I'd say, strobed 120Hz, VT tweak 1499, my old Benq is little better(but only in middle) in clarity, while running ufo tests(moving photo -ufos, quebec or Eiffel tower, street map), LG 240Hz has less clarity, due ghosting, or, I would say, tripple images. Text in street map is more fuzzy, smeared, on LG than on Benq. IN MIDDLE, but, well, if u play games, in middle is where ur focus is. As for me, in games, I barely see difference. I mean, playing 240Hz strobed/non strobed is great, have good results
The strobing disorients me in games; well I should say the crosstalk makes things look really weird, that's what seems to be disorienting (LG monitor). It's basically half effective at what it's supposed to do, I think at least in part due to the crosstalk (I never did get the crosstalk to change at all, been lazy/busy.) I really like having that motion clarity, so it's a bit of a shame.

I wish the LG could do 60hz strobing, or something similar to BFI. I wish the timings were tighter and the response times more in line for 144hz and 240hz. I wish it were the most beautiful panel on the planet, too, and at least 1440p. I personally don't care about the size.

I really want to see those JOLED displays. I wonder if they'll reduce motion blur or have rolling scan, etc.

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 23 Dec 2018, 16:35

captain_amn wrote:So... i just read through 40+ pages of this thread and i am still confused AF. If anyone can help me out, that would be great...

How good is this monitor now compared to his much praised XL2740, that i certainly won't buy?

I could get the Alienware 240Hz FreeSync (which Solid Lad praises) for much cheaper, but it lacks strobing. So i'd rather have the LG one honestly, because i play a game that could benefit from strobing and most importantly, a very responsive monitor. I really want to upgrade, but now i am so uncertain.... so..

1) To the owners and testers of this monitor: Is it really not an amazing monitor?

2) My follow-up question to the owners of this monitor is also, that i like playing with black bars on the side, because i play with lower ingame resolutions than 1080p. Is that still possible with "Original Aspect Ratio"?

3) To the more experienced testers here: What do you recommend? I can not compare the monitor vs other 240Hz models. So if i order it, i really want to just keep it honestly. So i would be glad, if this particular monitor is a atleast on par with other 240Hz strobing monitors.

Thank you for everyone else for this massive thread, it helps me a lot on deciding how to spend my money. (Monitor manufacturers take note :D )
The response times are subpar compared to better quality panels, and for 240hz they seem kinda slow. The colors don't seem bad. Also I should mention 1440p is liked by a lot of people, and the LG obviously can't run 1440p. I have one of the later versions, 3.07 (perhaps the latest version) and I've had no success with getting CRU (custom resolution utility) to reduce the crosstalk at all. There's a chance it looks fine and I'm just a unique case or picky. I'm not sure there are any other 240hz strobing monitors - this might be the only one, was the last time i checked. Keep in mind this monitor only runs strobing at 120hz, 144hz, and 240hz. There's not even a 180hz option, IIRC. If you play a game that runs at 60fps or was designed to run only at 60fps, the strobing will not help (because the LG can't strobe at 60hz, you need stroberate = hz = fps) and will probably make it look worse, duplicating images. I have one game that runs very high frames per second, but in reality doesn't display more than 60 frames per second.

I believe you can keep the monitor in original aspect mode, my tests indicate you can and stay in original aspect mode but I'm not sure you still benefit from the 1 frame reduction in lag. [I'm not sure if your resolution/game is going to stretch the pixels out or not. I think your resolution would have to "fit into" 1920x1080 and it should since it's smaller, but i'm not clear on the details. (if this isn't correct someone please tell me.) I'm mostly speculating so take it with a grain of salt and hope someone else answers. If the monitor changes resolution based on the game's resolution, I'm probably wrong. The tftcentral review said the interpolation for other resolutions looked fine, though.]

A Solid Lad seems to know some stuff. Maybe he'd respond to a PM; he doesn't have this monitor anymore though as I'm sure you read. Plenty of pro FPS players play without strobing. The LG monitor might be most effective in a game like Quake I guess. Since you have an rx 580 you can at least use Freesync if you don't like strobing or can't maintain the fps; you can't use Freesync and Motion Blur Reduction mode at the same time. And oh, the change from 24 inches to 27 inches could be quite the change for you.
Last edited by Kheri on 23 Dec 2018, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 23 Dec 2018, 16:44

And, I should add, no matter what Hz I use, 120 on benq or 240 here, LG, I do not have screen tearing.
Easy
Just using window "burdeless" :P mode. Not fullscreen.
So req Hz-FPS do not hit me, or, shuld say, do not feel it as necessary. Or maybe my perception is wicked and I do not feel negatives with lesser FPS than Hz, and I playing games that varies from 90 to 350FPS.
Definitely I do not need to use any Freesync/Vsync/G-sync by just using windowed mode...
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 23 Dec 2018, 17:14

Gregix wrote:And, I should add, no matter what Hz I use, 120 on benq or 240 here, LG, I do not have screen tearing.
Easy
Just using window "burdeless" :P mode. Not fullscreen.
So req Hz-FPS do not hit me, or, shuld say, do not feel it as necessary. Or maybe my perception is wicked and I do not feel negatives with lesser FPS than Hz, and I playing games that varies from 90 to 350FPS.
Definitely I do not need to use any Freesync/Vsync/G-sync by just using windowed mode...
You're talking about screen-tearing, not strobing, yes? Or are you talking about strobing but in windowed mode you don't notice negatives..

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 23 Dec 2018, 18:46

Thanks for the detailed reply Kheri.

I intend to use the monitor exclusively at 240Hz/ 240+ FPS and i am fine with 1080p resolution. Purely for "competitive" gaming (no freesync).

It seems like Solid Lad is very much against this monitor even though he didn't try the Original setting, so i was hoping for people to prove him wrong honestly. Well i am not that much smarter now that you mention that bad crosstalk :/ hmmm i really had my hopes high. I could get that Alienware one, but all this fuss about strobing... i just have to try it!

PS: There are quite some other strobing@240Hz monitors, not so sure what you meant there :P
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8Ghz - CF RX 580s - 3200CL16 DDR4 - Win10 64Bit - ViewSonic XG2401

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 23 Dec 2018, 19:14

captain_amn wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Kheri.

It seems like Solid Lad is very much against this monitor even though he didn't try the Original setting[...]

PS: There are quite some other strobing@240Hz monitors, not so sure what you meant there :P
Just keep in mind it's just my opinion and personal experience. I do find 240fps+hz pretty nice compared to lower hz, however. I haven't heard of another monitor strobe at 240hz (but there's probably a couple out there..? I'm no expert.) Example: The PG258Q is a 240hz monitor but can strobe only at 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz, which seems to be typical for MBR/ULMB monitors.

Yeah, if Solid Lad did a more detailed review that would've been useful. It might not've been possible and/or I just didn't understand well enough. I know how you feel. If you can run this monitor with 240fps with strobing that might be a pretty interesting experience for you, honestly. And possibly more interesting/enjoyable if you don't get f**d like I did with an inability to change crosstalk, although I'm told the tweaks don't change it much (and technically that's true, but I see a big difference between what I see with my screen and k2viper's pics.) Are you sure you can sacrifice the 1440p experience, though? Your current monitor might have better colors, too, if you haven't considered that; I don't think there'd be a big difference though.

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 23 Dec 2018, 19:26

Kheri wrote:
captain_amn wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Kheri.

It seems like Solid Lad is very much against this monitor even though he didn't try the Original setting[...]

Just keep in mind it's just my opinion and personal experience. I do find 240fps+hz pretty nice compared to lower hz, however. I haven't heard of another monitor strobe at 240hz (but there's probably a couple out there..? I'm no expert.) Example: The PG258Q is a 240hz monitor but can strobe only at 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz, which seems to be typical for MBR/ULMB monitors.

Yeah, if Solid Lad did a more detailed review that would've been useful. It might not've been possible and/or I just didn't understand well enough. I know how you feel. If you can run this monitor with 240fps with strobing that might be a pretty interesting experience for you, honestly. And possibly more interesting/enjoyable if you don't get f**d like I did with an inability to change crosstalk, although I'm told the tweaks don't change it much (and technically that's true, but I see a big difference between what I see with my screen and k2viper's pics.) Are you sure you can sacrifice the 1440p experience, though? Your current monitor might have better colors, too, if you haven't considered that; I don't think there'd be a big difference though.
There definitely are other strobing monitors out there at 240Hz, i don't remember the exact names, but for example the XL2740 is one.

I don't know if we can compare your monitor to k2viper's one. It seems like his is heavily modified and i'm not sure if i would even dare to mess with CRU in case i order this unit, since i'd prefer it to perform OK out of the box. I'm not really a perfectionist, so worse colors is OK. 1440p is surely better, never tried it, but honestly i am fine with 1080p. The games i play, i don't even run them at full HD. :lol: