LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
k2viper

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by k2viper » 15 Jun 2018, 04:58

Yes, I'm sure all who were interested and awaiting, already read it. Why you're asking?

TLDR:
Monitor was evaluated by TFTCentral as having very good (best to date) blur reduction implementation. That's probably true. Pixel response times and measured input lag were slightly higher then its G-sync 240hz rivals, but nothing major TBH.
Though I'm still not sure, whether they measured its input lag with 1:1 scaling mode, which should have no additional latency, instead of default "full wide" scaling mode.
Default out of the box calibration was OK too. Overall its a good gaming screen, one of the best to date specifically if you're interested in blur reduction at full 240hz.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 15 Jun 2018, 15:33

k2viper wrote:TLDR:
Monitor was evaluated by TFTCentral as having very good (best to date) blur reduction implementation. That's probably true. Pixel response times and measured input lag were slightly higher then its G-sync 240hz rivals, but nothing major TBH.
Though I'm still not sure, whether they measured its input lag with 1:1 scaling mode, which should have no additional latency, instead of default "full wide" scaling mode.
Default out of the box calibration was OK too. Overall its a good gaming screen, one of the best to date specifically if you're interested in blur reduction at full 240hz.
I kindly disagree.
I wouldn't give this monitor such a positive rating after trying the aw2518hf and xl2740...
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

ericl

Post by ericl » 20 Jun 2018, 22:43

I have owned this screen for 2-3 months now and yes, it's the best blur reduction I have ever seen.
And yes, I own another 240hz screen... along with another 27" ROG screen.

You just can't beat blur reduction at 240hz. If you're gaming, this is currently the pinnacle of what's available.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 21 Jun 2018, 03:06

ericl wrote:I have owned this screen for 2-3 months now and yes, it's the best blur reduction I have ever seen.
And yes, I own another 240hz screen... along with another 27" ROG screen.

You just can't beat blur reduction at 240hz. If you're gaming, this is currently the pinnacle of what's available.
Ok, I refrained from denying the excessive praise this gets... but no.
That is not true.
You can keep trying to defend your purchase, I know it hurts to have spent a lot of money, just to find out that you've bought the inferior product, but even without DyAc, the XL2740 has clearer motion both in strobed and non-strobed operation.
Sadly I don't have the LG available for a side-by-side comparison, but I'll do a review on the XL2740 today.

ericl

Post by ericl » 23 Jun 2018, 22:38

lol?

I'm not sure personal insults are in the spirit of this forum.

It might seem like a lot of money to some people, and since you don't have them available for a side-by-side comparison, maybe that's what's happening here.

Anyhow, back to the discussion at hand.

I can do a side by side comparison of 3 240hz monitors (because I actually have the Asus PG258Q, the LG 27GK750F-B and the Benq/Zowie XL2740 (my brother has this at his place). Not to mention, a bunch of other 144hz,120hz monitors.

However, who cares.

Just be happy for people, they are both good screens.

Why don't you write a stern letter to TFTCentral (one of the most trusted sources for monitor reviews) and tell them that they are also wrong when they say it has the best blur reduction.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jun 2018, 01:55

I know ericl a bit, take it easy on him please.

I think there are many legitimate points to be made about monitor flaws, and there are inconsistency between samples (I've seen Sample #1 each of Brand A better than Brand B, while I've seen Sample #2 each of Brand A worse than Brand B).

Either way, when Blur Reduction works at 240Hz, and you've run framerates at near refresh rates, it can be quite superior to 120Hz and 144Hz, assuming you're not too sensitive to the strobe-crosstalk aspect.

And specific attributes are more sensitive for others. Some people may be more sensitive to the motion blur aspect than to the colors aspect. While others are more sensitive to the strobe crosstalk aspect. Etc. Some people are not flicker sensitive. Some people are not color sensitive. Some people are not blur sensitive. So a monitor being worse in specific attribute may not matter to such a person if a different attribute is vastly superior. So one person's crappy monitor is another person's superior monitor. Unfortunately no one monitor fits-all. Adjustment/tuning matters too. I've even seen a BenQ (notoriously worse/bleached colors than ASUS) beat an ASUS in colors just because someone used a $300 colorimeter to adjust their BenQ Zowie.

Let's give slack and benefit of doubt given the large overlap between monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 24 Jun 2018, 12:50

ericl wrote: Anyhow, back to the discussion at hand.

I can do a side by side comparison of 3 240hz monitors (because I actually have the Asus PG258Q, the LG 27GK750F-B and the Benq/Zowie XL2740 (my brother has this at his place). Not to mention, a bunch of other 144hz,120hz monitors.
It would be interesting to compare XL2740 and 27GK750F-B side-by-side, since there's still no XL2740 reviews found over the web.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 27 Jun 2018, 11:29

k2viper wrote: Though I'm still not sure, whether they measured its input lag with 1:1 scaling mode, which should have no additional latency, instead of default "full wide" scaling mode.
Btw I received the answer from Simon of TFTCentral:
We tested the full wide mode, and 1:1 Mapping mode and both showed similar results. The figures in the review are based on measurements in the 1:1 mode.

Gabe324

test

Post by Gabe324 » 05 Jul 2018, 19:13

test
Last edited by Gabe324 on 08 Jul 2023, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 07 Jul 2018, 10:29

ericl wrote:lol?
I'm not sure personal insults are in the spirit of this forum.
Claiming a product to be the "Bestestest evur" in a given category without any evidence other than a questionable claim that you've tried the competing products and that your brother has the one product I found to be better performing throughout my testing "at his place" shouldn't be "in the spirit of" a forum revolving around rigorous testing done by oneself or a reputable source either.

With that said... sure, if you feel the need to write replies in a condescending tone, just because you felt offended by me, pointing out the ridiculousness of your baseless claims then go ahead and do so.

I've been playing competitive twitch shooters on pc like CS, AVA and Quake for more than a decade now, and I went through playing on CRTs like the IBM p275 @160hz and fast LCDs like the Benq XL2411Z... so I think my judgement is just a tiny bit more credible than yours, but oh well.

Not to mention, it's not like I've just sat down before either monitor in question for half an hour over at my relative's "place" who supposedly owns the monitor to play some Battlefield 1 (or something even less motion clarity demanding) on it...
I, myself, have tested both monitors, which included playing CS:GO and checking how different AMA and strobing settings looked both ingame and on the testufo ghosting test for 10+ hours on both monitors.

From that experience I can conclude that motion on the Benq XL2740 appears more clean than it does on the LG 27GK750F-B.
That applies to both sample-and-hold and strobed operation.
The difference is really obvious in sample-and-hold operation,
while it shrinks when using strobing on both monitors, but even when using black frame insertion, the Benq has a slight noticeable edge in ingame motion clarity. (Not so noticeable on the testufo ghosting test though.)
When I finally get around to edit and upload my video review on the xl2740, people will be able to compare tftcentral's testufo ghosting shots of the LG with mine on the Benq and see the difference.

The other fact/problem that makes the LG inferior compared to the Benq has been (luckily for me) proven by tftcentral themselves, so there's no need for me to try and prove it...
that problem being high signal processing lag, when compared against other high refresh rate, or even fast 60hz screens, which in turn also makes the monitor feel more sluggish ingame, even compared to my old XL2411Z, not to mention the really snappy XL2740 or AW2518HF.

As for tftcentral claiming that this monitor has the best blur reduction at 240hz... I've just went through their review again, but I can't find them writing that anywhere...
and even if they did write that, it deosn't mean anything until they have tested the XL2740 as well.