LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Gregix

Re: LG 27GK750F-B - 240Hz, 27" 1ms Blur reduction, Freesync

Post by Gregix » 25 Dec 2018, 07:59

Samsung 1st, 144, blur reduction on, fstest setting
https://imgur.com/a/Rmw3lDy bee
https://imgur.com/a/JELi8GU this one is some pursuit involved
https://imgur.com/a/0rdeL80 look at windows, roofs are similar to benqs 120hz, windows same, guy in middle too
Now LG 240Hz
https://imgur.com/a/pAzSUky
https://imgur.com/a/xKafHsN look at windows, and all over...
https://imgur.com/a/bBeHRZb and bee

The thing is,(my?) LG has some more visible/distinct second images after original one. So it look way more ugly than theoretical slower VA samsungs images. Maybe ingame is oposite. Hard to tell. But as someone said, reading street names in Street map test is very hard, almost impossible on this LG, while is doable, and easy to be honest on Benq 2720 120Hz vt tweak or non tweaked Samsung cfg73, which to must add, has better controlled crosstalk than all above monitors.

And yeah, all done with original, VT 1304 trick, Hz rounded to 239,76Hz with CRU
Last edited by Gregix on 25 Dec 2018, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

shekel

Post by shekel » 25 Dec 2018, 08:38

captain_amn wrote:
shekel wrote:240 Hz + strobing makes the text on the street map test almost unreadable when it was perfect on my 24GM79G, I've tried k2viper's VT tweak but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Regarding the UFOs and strobing, on my monitor there's a pretty faint trail behind the UFO, nothing too bad IMO but I can't take a picture of it as my smartphone's camera isn't that good.

k2viper, is the text readable to you in street map test while using 240Hz + strobing?
Can someone else also confirm this?
@Shekel did u make sure to choose "original aspect ratio" option in OSD ?
Yeah, I did.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero complaints while gaming, especially in tracking intensive games like Quake, TF2 (as scout), don't have any issues with clarity or input lag, I can only notice problems in these kind of tests.

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 25 Dec 2018, 15:12

captain_amn wrote:
shekel wrote:240 Hz + strobing makes the text on the street map test almost unreadable when it was perfect on my 24GM79G, I've tried k2viper's VT tweak but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Regarding the UFOs and strobing, on my monitor there's a pretty faint trail behind the UFO, nothing too bad IMO but I can't take a picture of it as my smartphone's camera isn't that good.

k2viper, is the text readable to you in street map test while using 240Hz + strobing?
Can someone else also confirm this?
@Shekel did u make sure to choose "original aspect ratio" option in OSD ?
As far as the street map reading test goes, I can confirm it's the same with me. Almost harder to read the text with strobing on than off. You should probably know I get 3 crosstalk images (that makes 4 images if I include the image I'm supposed to see.) 2 of the crosstalk images are pretty prominent. On the UFO tests it is very noticeable, this is at 240hz. I feel a little "disoriented" in games, but I can't tell if the double images I see in games are just due to refresh rate / phantom array effect (very likely I think) or not. Also 144hz strobing crosstalk is extremely noticeable.

Gregix wrote: And yeah, all done with original, VT 1304 trick, Hz rounded to 239,76Hz with CRU
Wish I could get the VT tweaks to work lol.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 25 Dec 2018, 17:27

Well, I used that VT tweak only for stutter problem. Was some.

Anyway, decided to return it. Was playing some time and that was "not it" as b4. Generally maybe I just suck today, or have just negative attitude, but now Im back on Benq. With VT trick and BButility is almost as bright as LG
And seems sharper than LG on its defaults, static or moving picture whatever...
[email protected], 2080s, ddr4 4100c15, sb ae-7 plus ATH M50XBT. Screen VS Elite XG270, had XL2546, XL2720Z, LG 27GK750F-B, Dell 2412M...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2018, 17:57

Thanks for the strobe crosstalk photography.

P.S. For strobe crosstalk tests, it's OK to capture them statically: It's not necessary to pursuit -- just only to capture exactly 1 strobe flash (camera exposure length = refresh cycle length, e.g. ~1/240sec for 240Hz strobing). You won't see the motion blur differences of strobe pulse length differences (MPRT changes) but a single static photograph will still successfully capture the strobe crosstalk of a single strobe backlight flash -- it's simply incomplete refreshing.

Strobing at 240Hz is extremely difficult to do, and right now the best display that does it is probably the BenQ XL2546 at this time. I will have to figure out if there are other displays (e.g. the new 0.5ms GtG or 0.6ms GtG LCDs) that can do 240Hz strobing with less strobe crosstalk. To set camera exposure length with a smartphone, sometimes it is easier to download an app and then set the exposure length that way...

For reference purposes, I've put [/img] and Image

Samsung 144Hz blur reduction
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 25 Dec 2018, 19:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Thanks for the strobe crosstalk photography.

P.S. For strobe crosstalk tests, it's OK to capture them statically: It's not necessary to pursuit -- just only to capture exactly 1 strobe flash (camera exposure length = refresh cycle length, e.g. ~1/240sec for 240Hz strobing). You won't see the motion blur differences of strobe pulse length differences (MPRT changes) but a single static photograph will still successfully capture the strobe crosstalk of a single strobe backlight flash -- it's simply incomplete refreshing.

Strobing at 240Hz is extremely difficult to do, and right now the best display that does it is probably the BenQ XL2546 at this time. I will have to figure out if there are other displays (e.g. the new 0.5ms GtG or 0.6ms GtG LCDs) that can do 240Hz strobing with less strobe crosstalk. To set camera exposure length with a smartphone, sometimes it is easier to download an app and then set the exposure length that way...

For reference purposes, I've put [/img] and Image

Samsung 144Hz blur reduction
Thanks for the pics @gregix/(@shekel), strobing on the LG indeed looks funky as hell. I can see 3, actually even a faint 4th UFO trailing behind... I guess the images are good enough, since that Samsung looks way better compared to the LG.

No wonder the monitor performance looks blurry to many people.. It is indeed very very noticeable. Wow! So sorry to see this actually :/ Had my hopes up really high for this one.

Edited: confused names
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8Ghz - CF RX 580s - 3200CL16 DDR4 - Win10 64Bit - ViewSonic XG2401

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 26 Dec 2018, 08:53

Aaaand that's why I keep recommending the XL2740 over the LG.
Much better motion clarity in both strobed and non-strobed operation...also, a better, more sturdy stand, better contrast and colors and less input lag.
All this without any fiddling with custom resolutions or scaling modes.
I know it's expensive... but it'll make you happier in the long run.
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

shekel

Post by shekel » 26 Dec 2018, 09:34

A Solid lad wrote:

Aaaand that's why I keep recommending the XL2740 over the LG.
Much better motion clarity in both strobed and non-strobed operation...also, a better, more sturdy stand, better contrast and colors and less input lag.
All this without any fiddling with custom resolutions or scaling modes.
I know it's expensive... but it'll make you happier in the long run.
In my case it would've costed me more than 3 times more to buy the BenQ XL2740 and the performance difference between these two doesn't warrant that price increase, even right now there's a brand new LG for sale at 200 GBP (with shipping to EU countries) meanwhile the XL2740 is 530 GBP at Amazon.

If the price difference in someone elses case is negligible go ahead and buy the BenQ.

Gregix

Post by Gregix » 26 Dec 2018, 13:39

@captain
I would say, wait a while.
Prices dropping, there can be some savings with amazons warehouse deals, I bought my xl2720z this way, was 50e cheaper at the moment. Sure, it has to be used, checked by some1, because there was 1 sub pix burnt in already. And now have second, but in areas irrelevant to me.

I really have hope that OLEDs start to appear soon, in normal prices. Can afford to pay 500+ but it has to deliver. 120Hz+ and good blur reduction.

captain_amn

Post by captain_amn » 26 Dec 2018, 14:50

@SolidLad
Looks like everything u said has been confirmed. Quite strange that none of the online reviews didn't pick that up... Also that korean review makes no notice of the bad performance although they also tested the BenQ one.

@Gregix
Thanks for the tip... yes i also keep looking on warehouse deals, i rarely made bad experiences there and saved quite some cash over the years.

Sorry if this is not related to this topic, but what exactly is DyAC by BenQ and is it worth it? I don't want to buy the XL2740 now only for BenQ to release another version with DyAC like they did after releasing the XL2540..
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8Ghz - CF RX 580s - 3200CL16 DDR4 - Win10 64Bit - ViewSonic XG2401