G-synch and free-Synch 240hz Monitor Question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ritchie

G-synch and free-Synch 240hz Monitor Question

Post by Ritchie » 27 Jan 2018, 09:14

I have been thinking about getting either the Asus or Alienware ( more atrractive price ). Now they have both in G-Synch and Free-Synch. But I am not going to use either technology. My question is will the performance be the same when buying a Free synch model ( cheaper) as the G-synch Models when having both technologies disabeld. Not sure if true but I read somewhere that G-synch model are better in responce time.

Also another question this Overdrive feature is new to me. Is it something with G-synch related or it is also relevant when G-synch is disabeld.

Thank you!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-synch and free-Synch 240hz Monitor Question

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2018, 14:50

All modern LCD monitors use an overdrive system.

Its a method of speeding up pixel transitions on LCD displays.

See LCD Motion Artifacts and LCD Overdrive Artifacts.

Both FreeSync and G-SYNC has it, just that historically, more G-SYNC monitors had better overdrive than FreeSync, although this is changing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ritchie

Re: G-synch and free-Synch 240hz Monitor Question

Post by Ritchie » 28 Jan 2018, 06:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:All modern LCD monitors use an overdrive system.

Its a method of speeding up pixel transitions on LCD displays.

See LCD Motion Artifacts and LCD Overdrive Artifacts.

Both FreeSync and G-SYNC has it, just that historically, more G-SYNC monitors had better overdrive than FreeSync, although this is changing.
Thanks for the links for the explanation. What about the free synch model from alienware (AW2518HF)and asus (XG258) currently are they matching their G-synch models in overdrive? Or was this only in the older models?

If the G-synch models are better I might getting the G-synch versions. Which of the 2 is better Asus PG258Q or the Alienware AW2518H. Normally the Asus is more expensive, but there is a sale on them and they cost about the same.