240hz g sync cs:go or 144hz ULMB LightBoost BENQ Blur

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
arthurdemelo123

240hz g sync cs:go or 144hz ULMB LightBoost BENQ Blur

Post by arthurdemelo123 » 27 Jan 2018, 17:19

Which one will be more smooth?
240hz g sync or 144hz ULMB, LightBoost, BENQ Blur

Someone who already tested please...

Yesterday I was able to try out a 240hz monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRP3F5S?tag=blurbust-20

and I could see a big difference between 144hz and 240hz...
Before buying a new monitor I have some questions...
ULMB it's superior than BENQ Blur Reduction and LightBoost???
I know that ULMB can go 144hz, LightBoost and BENQ Blur Reduction can go 144hz to?
which one for that smooth felling?
ULMB can't run with g sync rigth? but i saw some videos on youtbe that you can...
LightBoost and BENQ Blur Reduction can run with g sync?

Or just go for that g-sync asus?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: 240hz g sync cs:go or 144hz ULMB LightBoost BENQ Blur

Post by RealNC » 27 Jan 2018, 23:02

G-sync is always more smooth than anything else. ULMB is not about smoothness.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Haste

Post by Haste » 29 Jan 2018, 08:47

And more importantly, 240Hz is vastly smoother than 144Hz.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

arthurdemelo123

Post by arthurdemelo123 » 29 Jan 2018, 12:50

RealNC wrote:G-sync is always more smooth than anything else. ULMB is not about smoothness.
Sure... but 144hz ulmb etc etc..
in a specific game 144 fps 144hz will look nice with no ghosting will not look better than 240 g sync ghosting?
ty...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2018, 18:15

Perfectly synchronized 144Hz ULMB can look clearer than 240Hz GSYNC.
All the smoothness, but without motion blur.

BUT... Most of the time, GSYNC looks better in high-detail varying-framerate games. Also, while ULMB is much better than LightBoost, it can still affect colors and brightness on some displays.

ULMB looks better than 240Hz in TestUFO. But to do that quality in real-world games, you need to guarantee framerate = refreshrate = stroberate (triple match). It takes a hell of a lot of GPU horsepower to 100% fully de-stutter ULMB with guaranteed 144fps zero-framedrop. But if you can perfectly do 144fps at 144Hz, your ULMB is as perfectly stutterfree as GSYNC. Visibility of stutters are amplified in ULMB due to lack of blur to obscure stutters (unless you do the ULMB+VRR hack, but it has flicker issues for many). It is very hard to maintain the triple match for stutterless ULMB. Much easier to do 85fps @ 85Hz ULMB or 100fps @ 100Hz ULMB if you want the pefect zero-stutter ULMB.

In addition, ULMB can add a very tiny bit lag (half refresh cycle average) BUT it can still give you some competitive advantages (HOWTO: Using ULMB Competitively) for certain kinds of gaming tactics that forces you to move your eyes around (gaming tactics with forced eye-tracking that requires identification of fast-moving objects on cluttered fast-moving backgrounds). That said, most eSports CS:GO players do not use ULMB due to fixed-gaze on crosshairs (ULMB doesn't help fixed-gaze game tactics). Depending on their gaming tactics that they use (moving-eyes tactics tracking camoflaged enemies in fast-scrolling backgrounds -- ULMB gives you a real competitive advantage on this particular tactic). Your mileage will vary.

It's a very handy thing to have in your toolbox, the same G-SYNC monitor can do:
* 240 Hz VSYNC OFF
* 240 Hz G-SYNC
* 144 Hz ULMB

The fact you now own a monitor than can do all the above, gives you a serious toolbox of competitive choice.

I've heard of different players using different modes for different games. This advice is not set in stone, but there are occasionally situations where this actually has happened for specific people: CS:GO may work best with VSYNC OFF (due to ultrahigh framerate + ultralow lag), Rocket League might work best with ULMB (due to fast moving ball), and PUBG may work best with G-SYNC (due to very bad PUBG stutter). Depends on your GPU and gameplay tactics.

Generally, the boundaries are fuzzy, but:
...If your game has ultra-high frame rate (>300 fps), professional players tend to prefer VSYNC OFF
...If your game stutters horribly & badly you keep misaiming cuz of that, use GSYNC to improve aim
...If your game has massive amounts of scrolling & moving objects (and not dependant on fixed-gaze elements), use ULMB if your frame rate can stay close to refresh rate.

Try them all out. Right tool for the right job, I say!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Feb 2018, 17:12

Chief,
have you done Masterotaku's Gsync+ULMB trick on that Dell TN monitor?

Has anyone been willing to donate a monitor to Chief so he can check out this orgasmic eye candy goodness?
I wonder if it would work on a laptop through eDP...