Fastest 240Hz Monitor for CS:GO?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Eemwah

Fastest 240Hz Monitor for CS:GO?

Post by Eemwah » 29 Jan 2018, 16:32

Hi,

I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole of 240hz monitors, having been on 60hz for so long. I hastily purchased an AOC AG251FZ, I have been disappointed with it as the advertised "Low Input Lag" mode will not work on my AMD RX 480 System. I'm now looking for a replacement and wanting the fastest (Lowest Input Lag) I can get, I'm not fussed about using any sync technology. I've found lots of conflicting information online, and I thought my best bet would be to ask the experts here.

Thanks and Love,
Eem

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Fastest 240Hz Monitor for CS:GO?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2018, 16:52

Eemwah wrote:AMD RX 480 System.
I'm surprised Low Lag mode doesn't work with that. Have you considered upgrading your GPU?

As for 240Hz monitors, I tend to recommend the G-SYNC models more often since they are more likely to be well-calibrated (by NVIDIA), but I admit that if you want FreeSync, the ViewSonic XG2530 has been one of my favourites now, partially due to its relatively good out-of-box color, and how quickly ViewSonic fixed an issue.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Eemwah

Post by Eemwah » 29 Jan 2018, 17:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Eemwah wrote:AMD RX 480 System.
I'm surprised Low Lag mode doesn't work with that. Have you considered upgrading your GPU?

As for 240Hz monitors, I tend to recommend the G-SYNC models more often since they are more likely to be well-calibrated (by NVIDIA), but I admit that if you want FreeSync, the ViewSonic XG2530 has been one of my favourites now, partially due to its relatively good out-of-box color, and how quickly ViewSonic fixed an issue.
I was surprised also but it seems to be across all AMD GPUs, for some reason it believes Freesync is always enabled (The monitor Vertical Refresh also states "Freesync" instead of numbers) rendering this feature useless on an AMD machine. Unfortunately the ViewSonic is much more expensive (£418) in the UK when compared to the AOC (£299), Alienware (£328) and Acer XB252Q (£349), is it worth the price difference?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2018, 17:10

There are ways to force FreeSync disabled. Have you tried any of this?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Eemwah

Post by Eemwah » 29 Jan 2018, 17:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There are ways to force FreeSync disabled. Have you tried any of this?
I've tried through AMD Crimson, I've tried connecting VIA HDMI and then turning off DDC/CI, I've also tried Custom Resolution Utility (Using the Nvidia Frameskipping Fix) but that will only allow 144 Hz.

What else can I do to disable Freesync? I've searched around but cannot seem to find anything online about forcing Freesync off.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Jan 2018, 23:22

Eemwah wrote:What else can I do to disable Freesync?
In CRU, you can click the monitor info button (upper-right) and delete the freesync-related information.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Eemwah

Post by Eemwah » 30 Jan 2018, 08:06

RealNC wrote:
Eemwah wrote:What else can I do to disable Freesync?
In CRU, you can click the monitor info button (upper-right) and delete the freesync-related information.
By Monitor info do you mean the edit option? This is what I've got:
FF.png
FF.png (38.2 KiB) Viewed 4958 times

Deleting the Sync ranges only allows the monitor to run at max 144 hz.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Jan 2018, 08:49

I don't have an AMD card to test, by AFAIK, unticking the last checkbox will disable freesync support. As to why this would prevent >144Hz from working, I don't know :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Eemwah

Post by Eemwah » 31 Jan 2018, 11:05

RealNC wrote:I don't have an AMD card to test, by AFAIK, unticking the last checkbox will disable freesync support. As to why this would prevent >144Hz from working, I don't know :-/
For some reason if I change anything in CRU it then only allows the monitor to use 144hz.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Feb 2018, 17:05

Gsync is amazing. Ask Chief. Now that I got it working on my laptop it's simply INCREDIBLE in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.
I assume freesync should be similar.

That being said, SUPPOSEDLY the Benq XL2540 supports ADAPTIVE SYNC (Freesync) if you disable Blur Reduction in the service menu. This monitor SHOULD have blur reduction disabled by default. You will have to check the XL2540 section as I do not have this monitor. But I highly recommend you buy it, because you get blur reduction (and can use Vertical Total tweaks with it to reduce strobe crosstalk), and if you choose NOT to use blur reduction, then you can use Freesync at will.

For blur reduction, make sure you keep your average framerate EQUAL TO OR HIGHER than the monitor's refresh rate, otherwise blur reduction looks bad with all the jitters. It may be worth using a lower refresh rate if you can't keep something like 240hz (120hz or 100hz is extremely easy to keep with vsync on, and blur reduction for a glass smooth gaming experience).