Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2014, 17:21

vhn wrote:It costs the monitor manufacturers about 50 dollars to buy the g-sync module from Nvidia and install it in their own product. But whatever they decide to charge the consumer is of course another story.
That's probably for 1080p. The BOM for the 1440p GSYNC is probably much higher at the moment. Also, the cargo transport & the stores have to take their margin so ASUS is grossing a lot less than $799 per monitor.

That said, it's certianly high -- but not too stratospheric when you consider the ROG PG278H is the computer monitor equivalent of a high-end LED HDTV with enhanced "960Hz emulation" and ultrahigh-quality interpolation (more-flawless-looking interpolation) costing $3000+. There's a huge ton of motion quality enhancing technology. This isn't your plain QNIX overclockable monitor (a shining deal, but they are motion blur messes in comparision). In a few years, GSYNC/FreeSync will be cheap additions, but it won't be this year...

The race-to-bottom (mass manufactured cheap LCD monitors) means that 60Hz monitors are finally now super cheap, often piggybacked off TV/tablet/laptop/monitor/etc manufacturing with boilerplate/stock firmwares that only need minor tweaks. While the "Better Than 60Hz" technologies significantly diverges from this, requiring lots of custom firmware design, and sometimes custom FPGA/ASIC design that has become horrendously expensive. Due to niche market, we got lucky that 120Hz even became available for under $300 as quickly as it did (the venerable VG248QE) -- only 2 years after the first 120Hz LCD gaming monitor hit the market.

That said, I agree $799 is a lot. It's premium territory, certainly worthy of the elite ROG label.
But still a bargain compared to my $500 LCD monitor less than a decade ago.

I might split this post to a separate "Monitor Pricing Talk" thread -- it's a useful separate topic -- worthy of interesting discussion -- but let's remember that practical 120Hz LCD computer monitors hit the market only about three years ago, and look at how quickly we've come this far (LightBoost, ULMB, GSYNC, etc), manufacturers (thanks in no small part to Blur Busters and their friends such as TFTCentral, etc) have recognized the importance of many of these technologies including strobe backlights.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheRulesLawyer

Post by TheRulesLawyer » 07 Mar 2014, 18:15

RealNC wrote:...so that we can run 720p content with a nice, shart and crystal clear image rather than the blur fest when scaling with interpolation?
Best typo ever.

valfranx

Post by valfranx » 07 Mar 2014, 23:49

is there any chance of Asus release a lcd of 200hz? has news about the G-SYNC, which mentions that monitors with177hz would be launched:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync-vg248qe-177hz/

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 08 Mar 2014, 15:51

The Gsync premium is the only thing that really bothers me. The world of gaming paid a high price with the move to LCDs. So many things were made worse. One thing that didn't have to get worse was input lag, which should've actually been a net improvement with asynchronous refresh. It would have even functioned like a GPU upgrade. I really feel like graphics companies and LCD/TV manufacturers dropped the ball horrendously on this one. This isn't some great technological advancement. This is just the first step towards ending a decade-long fuckup.
Last edited by Oofloom on 08 Mar 2014, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Mar 2014, 15:55

I believe 240Hz LCDs will come eventually, but it may be a while. DisplayPort can do 1080p@240Hz (if using two channels). The problem is the severe color quality degradation. Look at how 144Hz color is worse than 60Hz. It's even worse at 240Hz versus 144Hz.

But it's certainly possible, and certainly doable with good enough color quality. Ironically, VA LCDs have been doing 240Hz for more than two years now in some high-end HDTVs, for Sony's high end Motionflow XR 960 (the "960 Hz" simulation, done via interpolation 240fps+scanning backlight). I think as manufacturers ramps up for 4K HDTVs running at 240Hz interpolated, they can split larger 240Hz 4K television glass into four 1080p@240Hz computer monitors with far less color degradation, so I think speciality 240Hz computer monitors will be a reality within less than 2-3 years, especially with GSYNC. It'd be nice to have variable refresh going from 30fps to 240fps, with ultralow frame-scanout input lag of 4.1ms (1/240sec).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 08 Mar 2014, 16:58

I would buy a true 240Hz computer monitor day one!

It's funny I'm already using 200Hz for some games on an old CRT. And here we are in 2014 with only 144Hz available.
(to be fair the 200Hz isn't working at 1440p of course, but still...)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Vega

Post by Vega » 08 Mar 2014, 22:50

Great to have you here JJ. Asus has a ton of people waiting for this monitor. Any update on the timeline? There is some speculation that due to the Asus Anti reflection film poll the Swift has been delayed.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 09 Mar 2014, 13:19

Welcome to the forum! I have to say my VG248QE G-sync is the best monitor I've ever owned and the color quality is impressive for a TN (at least after significant calibration.) Unfortunately it still has the same color banding issues as other TN panels due to the 6 bit color processing.

My question is: Why has Asus never produced an 8 bit TN monitor before now? We already pay a premium for 120/144 Hz monitors so why not put the best panel possible in? Or is it simply that panel manufacturers have never produced an 8 bit TN panel before?

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 11 Mar 2014, 05:59

so that we can run 720p content with a nice, sharp and crystal clear image rather than the blur fest when scaling with interpolation?
i second that!!! i would love to see the crt clarity even on non native resolution as well as true 60fps 60hz crt motion clarity on today modern monitors. not 50hz crt feeling on a modern 60hz strobed backligh as chef blur busters told me in other topic, which has terrible noticiable flickering.

thanks chef for all the info you have provided.
thanks for the asus person to take care of this comunity on the motion blur - ghosting improvement after many years of long waiting to a true crt monitor tech successor.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 12 Mar 2014, 13:38

2 things i would like to know:
1: Will there be improved version of g sync DIY units coming out this year (with more ULMB refresh rates and other improvements) especially for the VG248QE in particular (Love this monitor, i been using CRT until it came out and i saw a great sale on it :P)

2: Did Nvidia ever thought of allowing user to set an option for desired FPS ingame through Nvidia experience optimizer so it would tweak the setting to reach that FPS mark. That would help a lot of ppl unfamiliar with video settings to achieve higher framerate needed for competitive gaming and things like backlight strobing