Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
KILLI

Re: Hello from ASUS [official rep]

Post by KILLI » 20 Mar 2014, 18:01

One thing I've forgotten to mention: for an immersive gaming experience we need SIZE. In the end, size matters.^^

27" is already considered to be the lower end of an acceptable size to me. 30" or even 32" would be fantastic, that hits exactly the sweet spot for a display on the desk. Not too big to be used for work, too, but big enough for the real "cinematic" feeling.
Of course, 27" and bigger displays need bigger resolutions - 2560x1440 could be considered as the sweet spot between pixel density and performance requirements for the GPU. 4K doesn't make sense at the moment for most people as it requires super-expensive multi-GPU-setups, especially with a target framerate of constantly 100+ fps.

So, Asus, Eizo, Benq etc., please give us 30"-32" monitors with VA-panel, G-Sync und ULMB with a 2560x1440 resolution! :)

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 25 Mar 2014, 02:57

Right now we should be more concerned about color. My brand new IPS actually has worse color than my 2009 TN, apparently due to the CCFL backlight in the TN having a wider/more balanced color gamut than the LED backlight in the IPS. My TN already looked bad compared to my old CRT and current plasma TV. I can't handle my next monitor looking even worse, regardless of blur/lag/res considerations. We need to remind ASUS and the like that we still care about all aspects of image quality.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 25 Mar 2014, 06:37

I doubt CCFL will come back because LED = sales pitch for the uninformed masses lol.
LED do have the advantage of no decreased life from on/off cycling like CCFL.
Also with OLED slowly entering the market, CCFL are less likely to remain imo, even LED will eventually go the way of the CRT the way things are going . . .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2014, 08:59

Proper full-spectrum LED backlights can be better than CCFL. The problem is that we're often using cheap white LEDs as backlights.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Mar 2014, 10:44

SS4 wrote:I doubt CCFL will come back because LED = sales pitch for the uninformed masses lol.
There are crappy LEDs and there are also crappy CCFLs. Has nothing to do with it being a LED backlight. It has to do with it being a crappy LED backlight :)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 25 Mar 2014, 12:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Proper full-spectrum LED backlights can be better than CCFL. The problem is that we're often using cheap white LEDs as backlights.
And if I were to guess that these $400-$500 gaming monitors all use those cheap white LEDs... I'd be right wouldn't I?

DICKTracy

Post by DICKTracy » 31 Mar 2014, 17:24

Any idea when we can expect to hear from the ASUS rep again?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2014, 17:26

DICKTracy wrote:Any idea when we can expect to hear from the ASUS rep again?
I'm going to ping him now. He was on leave for a bit, but will work get someone from ASUS' ROG department to visit, if ASUSTECHMKT is not available.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ASUSTECHMKT

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 02 Apr 2014, 11:07

Hey guys just wanted to let you know back from being out of the country and catching up on some awesome products that are under design and development. I will be looking through any outstanding posts in the thread and follow as best as I can.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

ASUSTECHMKT

Post by ASUSTECHMKT » 02 Apr 2014, 11:59

treach wrote:Hello together,

know the page for a long time, finally registered.

jj we all know there are enough 120/144 hz tn monitors , 1 korean pls panel and the eizo mva monitor.
i often visit prad.de cause i think they do the most accurate testing, i know you guys from asus have the pretty much the fastest monitors, so i look at this: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-asus-vs24ahl-teil7.html#Latenzzeit
and i think why havent you guys already made an ips with 120 hz

so i just wnated to know if you are working on 120 hz ips monitors or infos for the future because i see a good base here.

btw big respect to mark for all your work and knowledge.

In response to your question it really comes down to panel yield and consistency. While technically possible the yield at this time would still be to inconsistent for high level production. This is why we had the panel for the SWIFT specifically developed. There is always the possibility with some new panels coming that you may see something along the lines of a IPS like display and higher refresh. As always though the tricky part is finding the balance of all the features and functions the community wants and needs and the respective pricing. As we could produce a IPS with 120Hz but would users pay the cost if it meant we have to screen the monitors to fines ones that would be capable of achieving the performance metrics that are wanted.

Regardless our goal as a whole is to collect information like this so we can evaluate all the options possible in design, development and production of future displays.