Acer XB252Q

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ashi

Acer XB252Q

Post by ashi » 03 Feb 2018, 11:08

Recently did some research including hours spent browsing this forum and settled on the Acer XB252Q over the AW, Asus, Benq 240hz panels. Mainly for the Gsync and more appealing aesthetics(to my taste). I upgraded from a pixio px277 as well as the original AOC 144hz monitor. I never really though much about Motion Blur as neither of my previous panels had strobing. Doing some comparisons between the 3 monitors though, The motion blur on the Acer is out of control and I'm wondering if I got a bad panel.

It does go away using ULMB at 144hz without gsync, but at that point why not return the monitor and wait for something that gives the experience i want. I have read that ULMB is superior on 240hz panels and will be able to create a picture with less crosstalk but is that true compared to the best 144hz panels?

I guess my question is it possible to get the 240hz gsync experience without so much blur. The game feels amazingly smooth but rapid movements do put some strain on my eyes. The Blur is also incredibly distracting in csgo when any flicker of movement can be a crucial piece of information. Are there any adjustments I can make on my end. Is my panel faulty? Or is the technology just not there yet.

k2viper

Re: Acer XB252Q

Post by k2viper » 03 Feb 2018, 13:30

ashi wrote:It does go away using ULMB at 144hz without gsync, but at that point why not return the monitor and wait for something that gives the experience i want. I have read that ULMB is superior on 240hz panels and will be able to create a picture with less crosstalk but is that true compared to the best 144hz panels?
At this point you should decide, whether you want uncompromissely low blur with gsync/freesync (which atm means NO any kind of strobing), or you prefer strobed modes and should look for displays with best strobed performance, concerning that you would not be able to use gsync/freesync with strobing enabled.

ULMB look fine on 240hz panels, but G-sync (with ULMB) 240hz displays currently on market, supports ULMB max at 144hz (overclockable around 150-160hz with ULMB working). Benqs currently provide maximum adjustment freedom for user who wants to get much of their strobing mode.

Samsung VA 144hz displays have one of the best looking strobing on the market, so if you want uncompromised 144hz strobing, go for them.

Personally I'd go for best strobing, but currently you wouldnt find 240hz display with "perfect" 240hz strobed mode.
My opinion is that if buying 240hz panel, its pointless to use it not in 240hz mode (at least, in some custom >144hz mode). Why buy 240hz and dont use its hertz horsepower, right? :)

There is 2 displays to date that can strobe in 240hz: Benq XL2540/2546, and LG 27GK750F-B (which I own). I love strobed modes, so I use it in 240hz with strobing, mode is not quite perfect, but acceptable and absolutely superior to any 120/144hz display I've seen and used.

ashi

Post by ashi » 03 Feb 2018, 14:03

I did look at both of the monitors capable of strobing around 240hz, but due to prior experience with motion blur on my other 144hz panels I didn't expect it to make such a big difference. I barely notice any blur on my other panels, but this one has so much I'm wishing I had gone with the Ben Q. Ultimately I think the smoothness that comes with Gsync will out weigh the blur and hopefully I can make adjustments elsewhere to reduce it some. I was hoping to hear that maybe my panel was a bit faulty although I knew it unlikely. I will stick with the Acer, the build quality is quite nice and aside from the huge amounts of motion blur I'm in love with it.

darzo

Post by darzo » 03 Feb 2018, 15:29

ashi wrote:I was hoping to hear that maybe my panel was a bit faulty although I knew it unlikely.
What's obviously more unlikely is that Acer monitors are blurry yet customer reviews don't reflect that. Replace the unit. If you find another unit blurry then either settle (so you wouldn't go with Asus, which also has g-sync, because of "aesthetics" but are willing to settle with a blurry monitor... why even bother doing research if those are your priorities? just look at some pictures; build quality is irrelevant, I guarantee your Asus won't disintegrate, it's a monitor for crying out loud) or go with a different monitor. There was another poster recently who found an Acer 240hz monitor blurry (pointing to camera pan in a youtube video...) but that poster found all 240hz monitors blurry. Maybe the Chief is right, who knows I suppose. Some people have remarkable sensitivities. How they find 240hz monitors blurry though, as in what explains that, is beyond me.

So you see the motion being smoother but at the same time it is also blurrier? Can you describe that more specifically? And it seems like you're using g-sync, which is what I use.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 03 Feb 2018, 15:46

ashi wrote:Ultimately I think the smoothness that comes with Gsync will out weigh the blur and hopefully I can make adjustments elsewhere to reduce it some. I was hoping to hear that maybe my panel was a bit faulty although I knew it unlikely. I will stick with the Acer, the build quality is quite nice and aside from the huge amounts of motion blur I'm in love with it.
Did I get you right that you feel gsync smoothenss that your display provide, superior to its ULMB modes?

Its a general point that users of modern panels should concern: tecnhology and market gives us two general "smoothness" approaches, and they both arent flawless. Any potential buyer must realize that there is still no ultimative decision to eliminate motion blur and other moving picture artifacts on LCD panels, even if panels progressed to 240hz 1ms MPRT, their technology is basically the same.

ashi

Post by ashi » 03 Feb 2018, 16:12

darzo wrote:
ashi wrote:I was hoping to hear that maybe my panel was a bit faulty although I knew it unlikely.
What's obviously more unlikely is that Acer monitors are blurry yet customer reviews don't reflect that. Replace the unit. If you find another unit blurry then either settle (so you wouldn't go with Asus, which also has g-sync, because of "aesthetics" but are willing to settle with a blurry monitor... why even bother doing research if those are your priorities? just look at some pictures; build quality is irrelevant, I guarantee your Asus won't disintegrate, it's a monitor for crying out loud) or go with a different monitor. There was another poster recently who found an Acer 240hz monitor blurry (pointing to camera pan in a youtube video...) but that poster found all 240hz monitors blurry. Maybe the Chief is right, who knows I suppose. Some people have remarkable sensitivities. How they find 240hz monitors blurry though, as in what explains that, is beyond me.

So you see the motion being smoother but at the same time it is also blurrier? Can you describe that more specifically? And it seems like you're using g-sync, which is what I use.
There is very little tearing and stutter at 240hz with gsync, but motion blur is very obvious on I guess the edges of geometry. I'm just finding it strange that I'm noticing it more at 240hz than I did on my lower quality 144hz panels. It has not been something I've noticed at high refresh gaming previously at all. When I make turns in CSGO for example, there is a very noticeable darkening of the edges and it's very distracting in my peripheral. Using ULMB at 144hz this goes away completely but the game isn't as smooth (tear and stutter occasionally, less responsive).

Doing research the general consensus that I found was that the Gsync panels all performed equally well with very little practical difference. So I went with the aesthetics I liked the best. I have no doubt that Asus monitors have great build quality, I just commented on build quality because it was impressive compared to say my Px 277.

I guess before I just return it I would like to verify that I'm using it correctly and there is nothing I need to tweak specifically to eliminate some of the blur. I don't think I'm hypersensitive because my previous 144hz panels with no ULMB create almost no perceptible blur to me. Maybe what I'm seeing isn't Motion blur? It's possible I have some conflicting settings that are causing this. I will try to get a screen shot to see if I can show what I specifically mean.

ashi

Post by ashi » 03 Feb 2018, 16:17

So I just did some more testing and it only seems to be happening with gsync enabled, there is a very noticeable dark line forming on edges. Disable gsync and it disappears completely.

edit : So maybe this is ghosting? Seems they are some setting I may be able to change to eliminate it, will report back

darzo

Post by darzo » 03 Feb 2018, 16:40

Smoothness of motion is due to refresh rate, not g-sync and not ulmb. It's why people prefer 240hz monitors that can't do ULMB at 240hz. G-sync prevents tearing (in my experience it sort of makes things consistent even in comparison to a constant fps without it) and ulmb provides some clarity (while greatly dimming your screen) but there is no substitute for a high refresh rate. ULMB will make a moving character clearer, but its motion will still be [micro-]stuttered relatively speaking at a lower refresh rate, and I think this translates to your aim as well.

What you might notice is pixel inversion- subtle vertical lines and sort of a checkered pattern. Dark lines forming on edges sounds extremely weird though, especially associated with g-sync. You can replace the unit or move straight on to Asus.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Feb 2018, 21:30

ashi wrote:So I just did some more testing and it only seems to be happening with gsync enabled, there is a very noticeable dark line forming on edges. Disable gsync and it disappears completely.

edit : So maybe this is ghosting? Seems they are some setting I may be able to change to eliminate it, will report back
Not a single person has brought up Overdrive yet?? Go into your OSD and make sure in the "Gaming" section that "OD" is set to normal. This should be the best option. You can test the settings here vvv Double check that this is the type of blur you are talking about because a lot of people mean different things when they say "Blur"

https://testufo.com/ghosting

I have the same monitor and it's interesting that you said G-Sync maybe has different Over-drive when G-Sync is off, i personally haven't noticed it but ill have to check it out. I pretty much only use my monitor in G-Sync mode. Is there anything specific you can tell me to back up this claim? Anything specific you noticed?

Asus/Acer/AOC 240hz are all pretty identical. They have near identical OSD options and they look all the same.

darzo

Post by darzo » 03 Feb 2018, 21:56

It should be normal by default so I figured he didn't change it. Doesn't sound like an overdrive setting issue. And again, the monitors aren't identical despite the panel being the same.