Can you help? - Asus VG278HE, Benq XL2720T or Benq XL2720z

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ChristopherODd

Can you help? - Asus VG278HE, Benq XL2720T or Benq XL2720z

Post by ChristopherODd » 05 Mar 2014, 10:41

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some advice. I'm looking for a 27" 1080P monitor with 120hz+. I'm not interested in the Yamakasi's, etc.

As of Monday this week, I narrowed my search to the Asus VG278HE or the Benq XL2720T. I haven't had a "light boost" enabled monitor in the past, so my plan is to use the LightBoost HOWTO page to eliminate the motion blur.

Then yesterday happened. I found out about the Benq XL2720Z. Naturally, I searched here and found this thread which talks a lot about the firmware bug.

I'm really trying to figure out what the best option is going to be.

Is the 2720Z's built in motion blur reduction better than equipping either the 278HE or 2720T with Blurbusters' solution?

IF I get the 2720Z, can I fix the firmware issue myself?

I see that Blurbusters is releasing a Strobe Utility. Is this used to fix the firmware issue? OR is this used to just fine tune the settings?

Thanks so much for any advice you guys can give me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Can you help? - Asus VG278HE, Benq XL2720T or Benq XL27

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 11:03

ChristopherODd wrote:Is the 2720Z's built in motion blur reduction better than equipping either the 278HE or 2720T with Blurbusters' solution?
Depends. If you get the fixed XL2720Z, it BENQ Blur Reduction is overall better than LightBoost when combined with the Vertical Total 1350 tweak and the Blur Busters Strobe Utility. However, if you are unlucky to get an unfixed XL2720Z
ChristopherODd wrote:IF I get the 2720Z, can I fix the firmware issue myself?
Keep tuned. The official answer is no, but I am continuously pressing BENQ... There is now currently a "ball in their court", so to speak.
(You will still need an MSTAR ISP, however)
ChristopherODd wrote:I see that Blurbusters is releasing a Strobe Utility. Is this used to fix the firmware issue? OR is this used to just fine tune the settings?
Both. It essentially fixes the issue.
(90% of it -- at least to make strobe crosstalk to approximately similar to LightBoost).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ChristopherODd

Post by ChristopherODd » 05 Mar 2014, 11:13

Thank you for the fast reply!
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Depends. If you get the fixed XL2720Z, it BENQ Blur Reduction is overall better than LightBoost when combined with the Vertical Total 1350 tweak and the Blur Busters Strobe Utility. However, if you are unlucky to get an unfixed XL2720Z
What's the easiest way to check my version if I get the monitor? I don't mind if I have to work with BENQ to ship me a new one as I'm sure this would be covered under their warranty, right?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Keep tuned. The official answer is no, but I am continuously pressing BENQ... There is now currently a "ball in their court", so to speak.
(You will still need an MSTAR ISP, however)
I will try to avoid this at all costs. I'd rather not have to get an MSTAR ISP or anything.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Both. It essentially fixes the issue.
(90% of it -- at least to make strobe crosstalk to approximately similar to LightBoost).
Am I correct in guessing that this would make the BENQ Blur Reduction on par with lightboost, but not quite as good as a correct FW panel?

Are people receiving panels WITHOUT this issue and having good results with it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 11:41

ChristopherODd wrote:I will try to avoid this at all costs. I'd rather not have to get an MSTAR ISP or anything.
Then keep tuned. I am still continuing to pressing BENQ very, very hard for information/links that guarantees the purchase of a monitor with the fixed firmware.
ChristopherODd wrote:Am I correct in guessing that this would make the BENQ Blur Reduction on par with lightboost, but not quite as good as a correct FW panel?
No, it's already correct FW panel.
Blur Busters Strobe Utility will allow you to adjust to the best you're going to be able to get with the panels.
LightBoost, Turbo240, ULMB, all have technological limitations that creates a slight amount of additional (unnoticeable in real world) ghosting at either the very top and/or bottom edges. The Strobe Utility turns what's currently unacceptable into what's on par with other strobe-backlight technologies. You still have a similiar loss of brightness as with other strobe technologiews, but you won't get the LightBoost-like color distortion.
ChristopherODd wrote:Are people receiving panels WITHOUT this issue and having good results with it?
Unknown. The default strobe settings are apparently untouched! The old/new firmware are indistinguishable, except only the new firmware can allow the strobe settings to be changeable via external utilities (namely, Blur Busters Strobe Utility).

P.S. It's not the panel but the firmware on the motherboard attached to the panel.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ChristopherODd

Post by ChristopherODd » 05 Mar 2014, 11:46

Seems like a minor nightmare! ;)

All of this being said, would you still recommend this monitor? How would you compare it to the other two I listed?

Edit: OR, would you recommend waiting for this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-349WgqUxU ( I realize it's 1440p, but combined with 120hz/gsync, it sounds like a game changer)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 13:04

We are also fans of the ASUS ROG PG278Q, which is listed in the List of Upcoming GSYNC Monitors. We can't wait to see the PG278Q in operation!

ChristopherODd

Post by ChristopherODd » 05 Mar 2014, 13:10

I think it would probably make sense to wait then. I don't imagine you have a narrowed release date do you?

Adeptwa

Post by Adeptwa » 14 Mar 2014, 09:30

Hi chief blurbuster.

Long time reader first time poster. I understand I need to make some posts before i can private message. I have found out all the information from reading your website and not asking questions and don't think i could really get my post count up to high.

I do how ever now have three small questions if i may ask now.

I have the XL2720t from july'13 and it has the strobe bug. I've tried to order these flashing devices for a few months now but they're either sold out or won't ship to australia or something its frustrating me. I sat back thinking a few were on the way to find refunds a week or so later.

So, Where sir may i purchase a flashing device from, Am i able to flash this >BenQ XL2720Z 27in LED 144Hz < Onto it? Is it the same panel/computer just different software? Can you please send me which ever fixed software you can in advance?

Cheers

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 20:13

Adeptwa wrote:I have the XL2720t from july'13 and it has the strobe bug.
XL2720T doesn't have the strobe timing issue like the V1 of XL2720Z does. There is minor strobe crosstalk and it is quite normal on all LightBoost monitors. (e.g. 5% ghosting effect, worse only at top/bottom edges -- due to limited time for LCD pixel transition before backlight strobe flash). However, the strobe problem on the Version 1 firmwares of XL2720Z is obnoxious and far worse with full complete double image effect close to screen center which should not be happening, and is fixable using the V2 firmware plus the Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Your XL2720T isn't nearly as bad as this, so you are fine.

You cannot install XL2720Z firmwares on XL2720T.

Adeptwa

Post by Adeptwa » 16 Mar 2014, 10:34

On testing mine, it looked exactly like the XL2720Z with the bug. Not 5% and not only at the very bottom/edge. I'll get some screenshots for you.