Adapters, Minidisplay port to Display Port Question

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
AllenPCarlson

Adapters, Minidisplay port to Display Port Question

Post by AllenPCarlson » 11 Feb 2018, 16:44

I figure minidisplay port to display port shouldn't be as much of a big deal, but there's not a whole lot of information to turn to online and this forum is head and shoulders above the rest for answering questions like this.

So I've decided on buying a laptop and simply buying an adapter for the minidisplay port it has to display port. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the best adapters to buy? Does it increase input lag? What should I expect? I have a cheap SCART to HDMI converter for my Sega Saturn and the image quality is terrible, looks like a reuploaded jpeg.

Sparky

Re: Adapters, Minidisplay port to Display Port Question

Post by Sparky » 11 Feb 2018, 18:52

There shouldn't be any conversion going on inside the adapter, so it won't impact image quality or input lag.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Adapters, Minidisplay port to Display Port Question

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2018, 18:36

DP to MiniDP, and MiniDP to DP are mostly straight-through adaptoring. There won't be lag in that.

There may be very minor lag in hubs (e.g. Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt) that multiplexes multiple DisplayPort signals on the same cable, but not very much (sub-millisecond).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!