Weird Blur With Acer GN246HLB

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BigHungryChicken

Re: Weird Blur With Acer GN246HLB

Post by BigHungryChicken » 13 Feb 2018, 09:24

k2viper wrote:Then try to turn OD off/on, without a reset and see if it helps. If not, try turn OD off, power off (instead of reset), then power on and enable OD again.
The trick was to freshly re-enable OD every time that blur appeared to me.
There isn't an OD option

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2018, 09:46

You are right,

This model has no overdrive on/off setting.

Try enabling LightBoost instead. It also gets rid of those bright-glow ghosting (coronas).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 13 Feb 2018, 17:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You are right,

This model has no overdrive on/off setting.

Try enabling LightBoost instead. It also gets rid of those bright-glow ghosting (coronas).
I tried to use strobe light and it installs but then after reboot it just says there are no compatible displays found, any clue on how to fix this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Feb 2018, 17:19

Please re-read what I just said yesterday:
Alternatively, download ToastyX Strobelight from http://www.monitortests.com (Run strobelight-setup.exe and ignore the error message when it fails -- then reboot and run strobelight.exe to turn on LightBoost ....). LightBoost is another method of disabling excessive overdrive on the Acer GN246HL -- undocumented but you may prefer this. For more info, see http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto
You finished setting it up, now ignore the error message like I told you. :)

This is only specific to the Acer GN246HL monitor, the main app works with Strobelight, even after setup partially completes (and fails).

Run strobelight.exe and then look at http://www.testufo.com
Turn ON/OFF LightBoost this way.
The UFOs will become much clearer.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 14 Feb 2018, 03:33

I did that but the setup didnt fail then I rebooted and then I opened strobelight.exe and it says "No compatible displays found"

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 15 Feb 2018, 04:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Please re-read what I just said yesterday:
Alternatively, download ToastyX Strobelight from http://www.monitortests.com (Run strobelight-setup.exe and ignore the error message when it fails -- then reboot and run strobelight.exe to turn on LightBoost ....). LightBoost is another method of disabling excessive overdrive on the Acer GN246HL -- undocumented but you may prefer this. For more info, see http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto
You finished setting it up, now ignore the error message like I told you. :)

This is only specific to the Acer GN246HL monitor, the main app works with Strobelight, even after setup partially completes (and fails).

Run strobelight.exe and then look at http://www.testufo.com
Turn ON/OFF LightBoost this way.
The UFOs will become much clearer.
I did that but the setup didn't fail then I rebooted and then I opened strobelight.exe and it says "No compatible displays found"

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Feb 2018, 11:25

Hmmm.
GN246HL does support LightBoost.
However, it's enabled a very differently than others. (Since it's only partially supported by ToastyX)

Go into Windows Search Box -> type "Change Display Settings" then go to "Display Adaptor Properties". Then click "Monitor" tab. Then change "Screen Refresh Rates". Change between the two different "near 120 Hz" modes. (it should show up as 120Hz / 121Hz). One of them will enable LightBost automatically.

(ToastyX setup installed an extra mode, switch between the two modes to enable/disable LightBoost on your GN246HL).

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 16 Feb 2018, 04:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Hmmm.
GN246HL does support LightBoost.
However, it's enabled a very differently than others. (Since it's only partially supported by ToastyX)

Go into Windows Search Box -> type "Change Display Settings" then go to "Display Adaptor Properties". Then click "Monitor" tab. Then change "Screen Refresh Rates". Change between the two different "near 120 Hz" modes. (it should show up as 120Hz / 121Hz). One of them will enable LightBost automatically.

(ToastyX setup installed an extra mode, switch between the two modes to enable/disable LightBoost on your GN246HL).
I did that but there is only 120hz and it doesn't seem to have enabled light boost as I'm still getting the weird blur

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Feb 2018, 14:46

BigHungryChicken wrote:I did that but there is only 120hz and it doesn't seem to have enabled light boost as I'm still getting the weird blur
Damn, OK, there's a different method.

1. Download ToastyX CRU from http://www.monitortests.com

2. Open CRU and click "Edit" on your 1920x1080 120Hz mode.

3. Change Vertical Total to "1149" (remember your original number there)

4. Save and apply the resolution (may need reboot).

5. Rebooting, the screen may be slightly dimmer but the blur will be gone - view TestUFO

6. To turn this off, change Vertical Total back.

Note:
IMPORTANT: This is a tip specific to Acer GN246HL
Timesaver tip: You can also create a 119.4 Hz or 120.6 Hz mode (119 and 121 in Control Panel respectively) by copying the modes and using different refresh rates -- with the different Vertical Totals so you can turn on/off LightBoost simply by switching refresh rates that are different by only <1 Hz.
"Lightboost is activated by a 1138 lines vertical total at 100hz, 1143 lines at 110hz and 1149 lines at 120hz."
--
Credit: Falkentyne

BigHungryChicken

Post by BigHungryChicken » 18 Feb 2018, 11:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
BigHungryChicken wrote:I did that but there is only 120hz and it doesn't seem to have enabled light boost as I'm still getting the weird blur
Damn, OK, there's a different method.

1. Download ToastyX CRU from http://www.monitortests.com

2. Open CRU and click "Edit" on your 1920x1080 120Hz mode.

3. Change Vertical Total to "1149" (remember your original number there)

4. Save and apply the resolution (may need reboot).

5. Rebooting, the screen may be slightly dimmer but the blur will be gone - view TestUFO

6. To turn this off, change Vertical Total back.

Note:
IMPORTANT: This is a tip specific to Acer GN246HL
Timesaver tip: You can also create a 119.4 Hz or 120.6 Hz mode (119 and 121 in Control Panel respectively) by copying the modes and using different refresh rates -- with the different Vertical Totals so you can turn on/off LightBoost simply by switching refresh rates that are different by only <1 Hz.
"Lightboost is activated by a 1138 lines vertical total at 100hz, 1143 lines at 110hz and 1149 lines at 120hz."
--
Credit: Falkentyne
I've done this and it fixed the blur however the screen has gone slightly purple how can I fix this?