Best monitor for playing FPS (mainly CSGO)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SpiritusSancti

Best monitor for playing FPS (mainly CSGO)

Post by SpiritusSancti » 15 Feb 2018, 11:44

Hello,

I sold my BenQ XL2411Z about 2 years ago, and this was the last time I played CSGO.

Now I want to get again into playing CSGO, I always played pretty "competitive", and the only thing I really care about when it comes to the monitor is the best performance for competitive play. I have another monitor for general use.

I sadly also was never too much into the technical aspect, so I don't really know what to look for without hours and hours and hours of reading. It would be great to have an monitor where you can easily read up to how to configure it perfect for my usecase, because as I said, the technical know-how when it comes to monitors isn't really my thing.

What I know: I want to play 4:3 black bars, max 27" (but i think 24 or 25 is even better for me).

What monitor would you recommend me?

Only thing thats maybe also a factor is the price, under 350euro would be good...
Last edited by SpiritusSancti on 17 Feb 2018, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

open

Re: Best monitor for playing FPS (mainly CSGO)

Post by open » 15 Feb 2018, 19:51

Based on what I have learned here and my experience with the pg258q; I would look for a monitor with high refresh rate and gsync. If you can get a 240hz gsync monitor for what you want to pay then that would be the best bet. Even if you do not use the gsync mode a gsync monitor will likely have the best tech for low input lag and good pixel response. It sounds like you want to push over 240fps and use vsync off and gsync off. This is a good way to get low input lag. As far as settings go the first one to look at is the overdrive setting. Higher overdrive can introduce some visual artifacts. Higher overdrive also increases pixel response. Most monitors have a good sweet spot overdrive setting where the pixel response is fast and the visual artifacts are not noticeable. Besides that you may want to figure out what modes are low input lag on your monitor. Sometimes there are modes that use more processing and will worsen the input lag.

If you are looking at a monitor feel free to post it and I'm sure someone here will share their experience.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Feb 2018, 21:25

Asus PG258Q and the Acer XB252Q (Which is the exact same thing but $50-$100~ cheaper) are both great options and probably the best "Gaming" monitors you could buy (240hz G-Sync). If you have a AMD card you can get the FreeSync version which is a little cheaper but who knows how good it is since it's not using the G-Sync chip.

But it's hard to tell how much these monitor will cost for you since we don't know what store you're buying from but you can't go wrong with Asus/Acer, Acer tends to be a little cheaper and since they use the same panels i would just go with them.

But yea, Quality is kinda all over the place. If you don't get one with G-Sync it can really suck if the manufacture didn't configure it correctly and the picture quality is out of wack and the overdrive is all ghosty. It's the main reason i avoid Benq and anything really without G-Sync.

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 16 Feb 2018, 02:16

lexlazootin wrote:If you don't get one with G-Sync it can really suck if the manufacture didn't configure it correctly and the picture quality is out of wack and the overdrive is all ghosty. It's the main reason i avoid Benq and anything really without G-Sync.
I think this is changing nowadays, my newer freesync LG have very high quality overdrive, colors and gamma are fine, no bl bleeding and so on.
So it's all about exact models, that worth or not worth looking at, and not "all gsync's are good to go, others not".

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 16 Feb 2018, 02:53

k2viper wrote:"all gsync's are good to go, others not".
More like "All gsyncs are good and others maybe not" i didn't say everything not G-Sync is rubbish.

you can find examples in tftcentral.co.uk were 2 monitors have the same panel and the one with G-Sync has a much better default configuration and better overdrive, You can see it with the AOC 240hz vs the Asus 240hz, you even need to tweak the timings for 240hz to work with the AOC. you can see it in the Asus 144hz with G-Sync vs the Freesync variety and you can just compare yourself the G-Sync monitor results with some of the other ones. I have a Benq with "Classic Engine" which i compared to the G-Sync chip:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2795

SpiritusSancti

Post by SpiritusSancti » 17 Feb 2018, 09:51

What about the BenQ Zowie XL2546? Or is the Asus PG258Q / Acer XB252Q better for my usecase?
I got an NVIDIA graphic card but I really don't play anything else then competitve online first person shooter, don't really need G-Sync, got always over 240 fps ...

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Feb 2018, 01:44

SpiritusSancti wrote:don't really need G-Sync, got always over 240 fps ...
doesn't mean it's not useful, you can cap your fps 235 and get the tear free benefits of G-Sync with no added latency and you don't need to stress your GPU/CPU at 100%