WANTED: 1000fps camera

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

WANTED: 1000fps camera

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2018, 14:30

Hello,

Blur Busters is currently shopping for a high-definition 1000fps+ camera for future display analysis purposes.

I used a good old Casio EX-ZR200 used to film the famous High Speed Video of LightBoost (250,000 views on YouTube). That, however, is too low-definition for many purposes (224x64 pixels).

Currently, we are evaluating the purchase of a Sony Experia XZ Premium -- a smartphone with high-def 1000fps -- but it can only record the cheapest high-definition 1000fps camera on the market at the moment. It should actually work pretty well for certain TestUFO tests for many bright displays. But it's not necessarily sensitive enough to reliably record the dimmer computer monitors.
And, unfortunately it does not film in 1000fps long enough for videogame testing, so we are looking for a different camera capable of high-definition (720p+) continuous recording at 1000fps -- or at least a longer burst of several seconds of high-def 1000fps+ recording.

One of our areas of research is lag asymmetry between cable scanout versus panel scanout (i.e. scanout asymmetry), which is a problem that we have discovered that affects aimfeel for VSYNC OFF eSports game players. To research further on this problem, we need an improved high speed camera to corroborate our research.

So, we are looking for recommended models, discount or donation of a high speed camera (even if it's still an unwanted Sony Experia XZ/Premium), heads-up on an upcoming camera, etc.

Reply here or contact me at mark[at]blurbusters.com

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Chief Blur Busters
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Re: WANTED: 1000fps camera

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Feb 2018, 01:54

A big problem with the Sony Experia XZ Premium is having such a small sensor and aperture. it will work just be a bit dark and grainy.

When i did my 1000fps testing i did it with one of those sonys all in ones, i can't remember the model or have any of the footage but it looked pretty good. https://store.sony.com.au/cameras-digitalstill-camera

StrobeMaster

Post by StrobeMaster » 20 Feb 2018, 09:18

lexlazootin wrote: When i did my 1000fps testing i did it with one of those sonys all in ones, i can't remember the model or have any of the footage but it looked pretty good. https://store.sony.com.au/cameras-digitalstill-camera
Probably was a SONY RX100ivor RX100v then (aka RX100 M4 or M5). These support 1000pfs at 1136x384 or or 800x270, for ~4s ("shoot time priority") or ~2s ("quality priority"). They also allow triggering the end of an recording, so you can start the recording whenever, and release the shutter only after the to-be-captured event is over - very useful. Apparently, these small cameras run easily into overheating problems, although I am not sure if this is also true for high fps recording. I haven't used mine heavily enough to really tell, but I would not woory too much about overheating. Nevertheless, the bigger 1000pfs-capabale SONYs, the RX10ii and above, are less prone to overheating problems and are probably also less fiddly to operate (comparison RX100iv vs. RX10ii).
In case you are looking for a combined trigger/USB cable, look here.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 20 Feb 2018, 10:18

Although that model does sound familiar and the one i had looked almost identical but i believe i was recording at 720p, it defiantly wansn't some ridiculous aspect ratio.

I used mine for hours of slowmo monitor testing with no overheating, i did get warm though. I could defiantly see it being a issue if you record non-stop and not in segments like i was doing.