Actual refresh rate varying from time to time?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Actual refresh rate varying from time to time?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2018, 04:43

KuraiShidosha wrote:It turns out it's from g-sync being on. I turned it off and my refresh rate is always spot on 144.00hz again. As soon as I turn g-sync back on it starts to fluctuate in these web browser tests, typically 143.5-8hz.
This is the important nugget that confirms I am in the right here, regardless.

The precision of the VRR micro-variances can be bigger/smaller on different systems.

I would not be surprised seeing such precision variances on different systems - a slower system with more imprecise system timers and other drivers stealing kernel CPU cycles, would likely cause more jitter in the software-driven refresh cycles from the graphics driver.

In various software I've seen two order of magnitude precision differences in timer jitter precisions between different systems of the same CPU generation. I would not be surprised if this translates to different amounts of jitter in software-triggered refresh cycles.

In any case, it has no visual side effects. These are sub-1% variance, and the OP variances are closer to 0.1% while mine is less than that. Even a 10 percent variance is often still invisible to the human eye for most kinds of material.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!