Help picking 240hz Monitor for CSGO? ~375$'s

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Help picking 240hz Monitor for CSGO? ~375$'s

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2018, 23:14

You're welcome!
Monitor purchase decision is for the user to decide, but I was pleased how quickly ViewSonic responded to fixing the issue one year ago. Even today, I'm not even sure AOC has fixed the 240Hz frameskipping issue yet. I'd have to check. I hope that the monitor serves you well.

Generally, ViewSonic tends to pre-calibrate colors much better than most other monitor manufactures. However, the default overdrive should be adjusted to a better preference (It's called "Rampage Response"). For a 240Hz monitor, ViewSonic looked good at Windows Desktop straight out of the box -- as good as TN permits you to be, anyway. Some people think the colors are a little warm but they look fine (neutral) to my eyes.

That said, many CS:GO players like to play with a high gamma (brighten shadows). That wrecks desktop colors, but it's the priority of many a CS:GO game -- and you can use profiles to switch picture settings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Sporego

Post by Sporego » 24 Feb 2018, 02:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You're welcome!
Monitor purchase decision is for the user to decide, but I was pleased how quickly ViewSonic responded to fixing the issue one year ago. Even today, I'm not even sure AOC has fixed the 240Hz frameskipping issue yet. I'd have to check. I hope that the monitor serves you well.

Generally, ViewSonic tends to pre-calibrate colors much better than most other monitor manufactures. However, the default overdrive should be adjusted to a better preference (It's called "Rampage Response"). For a 240Hz monitor, ViewSonic looked good at Windows Desktop straight out of the box -- as good as TN permits you to be, anyway. Some people think the colors are a little warm but they look fine (neutral) to my eyes.

That said, many CS:GO players like to play with a high gamma (brighten shadows). That wrecks desktop colors, but it's the priority of many a CS:GO game -- and you can use profiles to switch picture settings.
Haha, noted.

Thanks again, My monitor arrives Sunday. :)

Sporego

Post by Sporego » 25 Feb 2018, 16:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You're welcome!

Hey! I received my monitor.

My XG2530 was Manufactured on July 21st, 2017!

Should I worry about the frame skip issue?

Sporego

Post by Sporego » 25 Feb 2018, 16:41

So I did more research and I think the fix for the monitor happened after September 2017?

If I do this fix?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3547&start=10

Would it affect anything negatively. I don't want to make a big deal out of it if I don't have to. Just want to get my money's worth.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2018, 17:10

I actually have an April 2017 ViewSonic that had the newer firmware applied to it.
But you should verify with the Frameskipping at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

If it fails, you can use NVIDIA Control Panel (Or AMD or ToastyX) to change Vertical Total from 1144 to 1150, that fixes it instantly.

No lag for this change.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Sporego

Post by Sporego » 25 Feb 2018, 17:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I actually have an April 2017 ViewSonic that had the fix applied retroactively to it.
But you should verify with the Frameskipping at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

If it fails, you can use NVIDIA Control Panel (Or AMD or ToastyX) to change Vertical Total from 1144 to 1150, that fixes it instantly.

No lag for this change.
Blessed for your response.

I don't have the equipment to test this issue? I will just apply this fix. It shouldn't affect performance of the monitor in games right?

All it does is affect the monitor directly?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2018, 20:23

You only need an a smartphone (e.g. iPhone or Android) to use TestUFO Frame Skipping.

Yes, only the monitor. No lag difference.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Feb 2018, 06:07

Sporego wrote:I don't have the equipment to test this issue? I will just apply this fix. It shouldn't affect performance of the monitor in games right?
See this post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3905#p31064

If your phone doesn't have a build-in setting for adjusting camera exposure time, you should be able to find an app that allows you to set it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.