LG 24GM79G impressions

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexebidar

LG 24GM79G impressions

Post by lexebidar » 23 Mar 2018, 06:27

I've already said this in other thread but I wanted to make a separate topic for this monitor for visibility:
I have the screen for 2 days now. The build quality is fantastic and so are the looks imo. The screen is very nice with no visible coating grain on light colors and stand practical. There are no gaps or anything around the bezel.

Also passes Lagom sharpness, gamma, black squares tests. Only Fails a bit at white checkerboard test. Aside from tests it's completely uniform and black on full black screen image. That is on 60hz. Things get worse above that.
Before we get to higher refresh rates, here are my unscientific results at 60hz nvcp rgb full:
-Default gamma is gamma2 and it's super wrong. Correct is gamma4 setting which gives 2.1 in the middle of the screen(so 2.2 on top and 2.0 near bottom) and it's the ONLY gamma option which does not introduces any additional banding.
-Default Contrast is 70. Any adjustment to it introduces banding in my test images and lagom gradient test. 60 helps with white checkerboard lagom test but ruins gradients.
-Default black stabilizer is 50 out of 100. And this is actually a correct real default setting. 0 crushes all black squares on lagom lcd test and any deviation from 50 introduces gradient banding anyway.
-Full white is uniform and seems really white. not yellow.
-The screen is bright. I have to use it at 0% brightness to achieve about 100cdl
-And what surprised me the most is that black screen is completely uniform... like the best I've ever seen. No blb, no clouding. Just black. very nice.

So let me get this straight - Default Contrast, 0% brightness, default black stabilizer, gamma4, 60hz and the screen is a dream of 2007 gamer lol... but no changes to it can be made because it ruins the image quality(banding, crush).
I mean seriously - It's an effect no ips could achieve all at once. Deep colors, black blacks, uniform screen without any glow. what is this?!
I can use this monitor in complete darkness and I still do not see any blb, clouding. I can finally have full black screen for wallpaper and it's ok. Try that with ips glow... I remember my old Samsung 226bw back in 2007. It had lower contrast and was ful of clouding. And that was top Tn back then, so the TN tech is moving forward.

Now we get to 144hz with all the same settings:
-Very sadly gamma lowers. Now it's 1.8/1.9 at the same gamma4 setting.
-Contrast lowers a bit. Essentially black screen is no longer as black but still okish.
-Some backlight bleeding appears near the edges but not much.
And here is the result of ufo test at pure 144. I think it looks very good aside from text. But it is readable in motion. I think my shutter speed was too fast

Now 144hz with strobing - fine as expected

This screen also does strobing at 60hz it seems. I couldn't get a picture but it seems like 3 ufo's overlap.

So is lowering of gamma and contrast a thing to be expected at higher hz on those 23,8" panels?
I am not sure but I might keep the screen just for excellent 60hz experience on ps4 and singleplayer pc games or movies. 144hz is okish too but I prefer better screen quality at 60hz. Might be a nice mix of a monitor really.
Now if only the screen looked as good at 120/144hz as it does on 60hz/75hz... But I probably cannot get any better than this right now. Even stull like dell u2417h would not look as good with dark content probably and LG does with "additional" high refresh rate option with worse picture quality.
edtit: One more thing - there are clearly visible horizontal scanlines on whole screen on grey gradients at 120/144hz. But the monitor out of the box supports 119hz which completely eliminates that issue. setting cru to 143 also helps (seen on other forum).
I am tempted to try ips for pciture quality or look for other Tn which would look like that with 60hz and 144hz but I will probably only waste my time and this screen is probably good to keep for now. I also need to test 60hz strobing on ps4 (it works).

Edit: I might've been wrong and maybe the "more" correct gamma is actually mode3 with black stabilizer set to 0. This setting makes high refresh rates better looking.
1ms mbr mode which works even at 60hz makes everything feels a bit smoother too
edit2: After selecting 119hz, the scanlines are gone and ufo refresh rate calculator still shows 119.879hz but it reports as 120hz. Seems like LG knew about the issue and made this false 119hz as a workaround.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24GM79G impressions

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Nov 2018, 16:30

I'm bumping this topic because users are asking me about about LG24GM79.

This is average for TN based blur reduction and correct looking for TestUFO. That's about what I expect with LG24GM79 motion blur reduction with my eyes in real life -- much better than the LG24GM77. On the older monitor (LG24GM77), the strobe crosstalk was much worse.
Lexbidar wrote:This screen also does strobing at 60hz it seems. I couldn't get a picture but it seems like 3 ufo's overlap.
That's because it double-strobes at 60Hz, and the third (fainter) image is likely the strobe crosstalk afterimage. It does not single-strobe at 60Hz. Refer to this:

Lexbidar wrote:So is lowering of gamma and contrast a thing to be expected at higher hz on those 23,8" panels?
That's common -- higher Hz can result in slightly poorer colors.

Color compromises can get more amplified when turning on blur reduction. Many monitors automatically narrow the dynamic range (especially LightBoost) to try and reduce strobe crosstalk. By creating overdrive overshoot room below black and above white, allows ghosting problems to be reduced, and more cleanly "hide LCD GtG in the VBI" -- the more this is successfully done, the less the strobe crosstalk is. Most of LCD pixel transitions being completely hidden in total darkness between refresh cycles.

Some monitors give you full control over adjusting brightness/contrast in blur reduction. You'll get amplified strobe crosstalk at maximum brightness (max pulse width) and contrast (max dynamic range) -- you can watch http://www.testufo.com/crosstalk while adjusting digital contrast in NVIDIA Control Panel (or the non-backlight-equivalent adjustments in the monitoirs) -- the crosstalk appears/fades.
Lexbidar wrote:I am not sure but I might keep the screen just for excellent 60hz experience on ps4 and singleplayer pc games or movies. 144hz is okish too but I prefer better screen quality at 60hz. Might be a nice mix of a monitor really.
For very good colors at high-Hz, you will want to consider high-Hz IPS monitors -- most of are GSYNC monitors though. That said, ULMB doesn't work with consoles, though.
Lexbidar wrote:Now if only the screen looked as good at 120/144hz as it does on 60hz/75hz... But I probably cannot get any better than this right now.
You can if you choose a 1440p IPS panel. Also, even my ViewSonic XG2530 240Hz panel seems to do better colors than my BenQ XL2720Z 144Hz even at 60Hz. So there is a huge amount of overlap.
Lexbidar wrote:edtit: One more thing - there are clearly visible horizontal scanlines on whole screen on grey gradients at 120/144hz.
If you pay more, there are much better panels than the LG24GM79 in color quality and scanlines issue. The LG is a good budget priced 144Hz monitor, but if you want better colors and no scanlines... there are many options at the moment. The scanlines are common on some 144Hz TN panels, especially the ones using the older 24" LCD panel (VG248QE in LightBoost mode).
madamx wrote:I am tempted to try ips for pciture quality or look for other Tn which would look like that with 60hz and 144hz but I will probably only waste my time and this screen is probably good to keep for now. I also need to test 60hz strobing on ps4 (it works).
Your 60Hz strobing is actually 120Hz double-strobe, so you get double-image effects during fast motion. If that is okay with you, then you're all set. Very few blur-reduction monitors are capable of single-strobing at 60Hz because manufacturers don't like giving users 60Hz CRT-like flicker. But users should decide and get that option.

Having the option of 60Hz double-strobe (120Hz strobing at 60Hz refresh rate) is definitely better than nothing. LightBoost/ULMB doesn't even function with consoles. So no ULMB for PS4 or XB1. But LG Blur Reduction lets you use it, even though it is double-strobe.
madamx wrote:1ms mbr mode which works even at 60hz makes everything feels a bit smoother too
It works but it's not "single-strobe" -- everything on consoles will permanently be double-imaged (never single-image).

Also, to have things TestUFO-perfect in your games (perfect blur reduction, single image, no double images except faint strobe crosstalk, no microstutter) in your PC based games -- then you need to have framerate = refreshrate = stroberate and an ultrasmooth mouse, following the mouse section of HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively
(That's why I use VSYNC ON when I do solo game play strobed, because the blur reduction quality becomes more important than lag to me. It takes work to avoid the catch-22 of fixing strobe-amplified microstutters without adding input lag)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shekel

Post by shekel » 30 Nov 2018, 05:59

To get rid of the scanlines you can overclock the monitor, I managed to get it up to 155Hz and they seem to have dissapeared.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2018, 12:34

shekel wrote:To get rid of the scanlines you can overclock the monitor, I managed to get it up to 155Hz and they seem to have dissapeared.
Interesting! Usually, the scanlines get worse when you overclock.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shekel

Post by shekel » 01 Dec 2018, 07:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
shekel wrote:To get rid of the scanlines you can overclock the monitor, I managed to get it up to 155Hz and they seem to have dissapeared.
Interesting! Usually, the scanlines get worse when you overclock.
They seem to have went away on their own for some reason, it was really noticeable even on the desktop when I first got the monitor but I can't see them anymore after 1 month of usage, I've tested on both 144 Hz and 155 Hz.