Gamma degradation and blb increasing when raising HZ

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexebidar

Gamma degradation and blb increasing when raising HZ

Post by lexebidar » 28 Mar 2018, 07:18

Hey, I've recently got LG 24GM79G and noticed that it looks much better at 60/75hz than 120/144h. At higher refresh rates contrast is lower, gamma is lower and some clouding/blb starts to appear resulting in more washed out image.

At 60hz, full black screen is completely uniform and black. No blb, no clouding. Excellent 2.1/2.2 gamma. Seriously - it's better than ips because it have nice deep colors, black and no glow.
Easiest way to test this is to set black page for wallpaper. You can see it (the backlight) washing out or whatever with each hz step.
Same thing happens with Low motion blur on any hz mode.

I myself use 119hz (it's like 120hz but without scanlines) and it's not as bad as at 144hz but is there a way around this?
Keep in mind that this is with same monitor settings at each HZ step and 0% brightness (on this monitor it's about 110cd).
I've googled a bit and apparently it's how some of these 23,8" monitor works. When I had 240hz monitor, it looked crappy all the time and did not looked better at 60hz, so at least with this one, I can achieve better picture if needed at 60hz or console.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Gamma degradation and blb increasing when raising HZ

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 28 Mar 2018, 07:25

It's panel lottery. I had and tested dozens of 120/144hz monitors and each unit was unique. Now I have XL2540 (240hz) for a year and it has best colors I ever seen.

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 28 Mar 2018, 08:46

Q83Ia7ta wrote:It's panel lottery. I had and tested dozens of 120/144hz monitors and each unit was unique. Now I have XL2540 (240hz) for a year and it has best colors I ever seen.
Panel lottery is one thing. I think I've got golden too because at 60/75hz it's one of best screens I've seen with fully uniform screen, no blb or other issues and great colors.

But there are some inner working of the monitor which change when You set it to high refresh rate

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2018, 12:07

Contrast does become a issue at higher refreshrates.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2018, 12:44

Raising Hz and/or turning on Blur Reduction also amplifies panel imperfections further, in exchange for the blur reduction.

For some panels, gamma non-uniformities definitely get amplified at higher Hz and/or strobing, which sorts looks like backlight bleeding -- though the gamma non-uniformities can amplify whatever existing backlight bleed you saw at 60Hz by increasing contrast ratio (or viewing angle gamma shift effects) between the bleed zones and non-bleed zones.

I have, however, observed some 240Hz panels (such as ViewSonic XG2530 -- and I'm sure, the many other 240Hz using the same panel -- the XL2540 probably does too) -- does an excellent job at avoiding color-quality degradation when going from 60Hz -> 120Hz -> 240Hz. The BenQ default color settings are optimized for competition players so it can look crap for movies/artistry but they can (with some effort, preferably with a colorimeter) be re-calibrated to look good. Whereas, others such as ViewSonic have good pre-calibrated out-of-box colors.

The 240Hz panels, while not perfect (e.g. factory overdrive calibrations are sometimes left wanting on some models) -- regardless look the most similiar 60/120/144/240 than most other 144Hz panels, in that there's less degradation jumping from 60Hz to 144Hz (or 240Hz).

I've seen several 144Hz panels that resist degradation better, and I've also seen 1440p IPS 165 Hz monitors do a good job at maintaining color quality at their high Hz settings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Apr 2018, 22:15

lexebidar wrote:Hey, I've recently got LG 24GM79G and noticed that it looks much better at 60/75hz than 120/144h. At higher refresh rates contrast is lower, gamma is lower and some clouding/blb starts to appear resulting in more washed out image.

At 60hz, full black screen is completely uniform and black. No blb, no clouding. Excellent 2.1/2.2 gamma. Seriously - it's better than ips because it have nice deep colors, black and no glow.
Easiest way to test this is to set black page for wallpaper. You can see it (the backlight) washing out or whatever with each hz step.
Same thing happens with Low motion blur on any hz mode.

I myself use 119hz (it's like 120hz but without scanlines) and it's not as bad as at 144hz but is there a way around this?
Keep in mind that this is with same monitor settings at each HZ step and 0% brightness (on this monitor it's about 110cd).
I've googled a bit and apparently it's how some of these 23,8" monitor works. When I had 240hz monitor, it looked crappy all the time and did not looked better at 60hz, so at least with this one, I can achieve better picture if needed at 60hz or console.
What is the main panel model this panel uses?
it might be listed in the service menu (if you can figure out how to enter that on LG monitors) or on the back, or the manual.
Many of the AUO 24" panels had gamma degradation at higher hz.

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 07 Apr 2018, 07:44

I don't know. It is probably the same panel as all 144hz 23,8" monitors but chief confirmed that gamma/contrast/blb can get worse with raising hz.

From 240hz monitors I've used, they looked the same all the time. At 60 and at 240hz. But they looked like lg on 144hz all the time.With this 23,8" there is at least option to lower to 60hz for better image quality it seems.
I've asked around in LG 27GK750F-B topic and it seems that it also does not change with changing refresh rate. BUt I would have to see one in person