How do I enable 60hz ULMB?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rasseru

Re: How do I enable 60hz ULMB?

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 06:03

Is there a list of monitors that do work with 60hz ulmb?

I have just realised that this is the most important factor for me, if my indie and platform games are locked to 60.

All the Japanese games too have this lock, the timing in beat em ups... Lots of games

I'll be able to work a bit more on it this afternoon

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 06:07

Also, maybe I can try taking the 120hz mode and just halving the numbers, maybe that will work better?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Apr 2018, 06:44

rasseru wrote:Also, maybe I can try taking the 120hz mode and just halving the numbers, maybe that will work better?
That's not how it works :P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 08:08

RealNC wrote:
rasseru wrote:Also, maybe I can try taking the 120hz mode and just halving the numbers, maybe that will work better?
That's not how it works :P

How does it actually work?

Also - the asus didnt have a native 60hz mode for some reason, I had to add one in? (part of the reason I was asking for an inf, i thought it was missing a resolution)

also tried the Acer 1080p 240hz monitor and still exactly the same results, a usb connect then disconnect sound and nothing. When switch to 60hz it brightens up and no ULMB.

Then I tried your method RealnNC, and got a black screen.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 08:20

Which monitors do you both use btw? Or know that works with 60hz low motion blur mode

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Apr 2018, 09:18

rasseru wrote:Which monitors do you both use btw? Or know that works with 60hz low motion blur mode
I use an XG2703-GS, which is a 165Hz IPS. But if ULMB is very important to you (and it seems it is), then you should try to find a TN monitor where 60Hz ULMB works. IPS has too much crosstalk at 60Hz.
How does it actually work?
The monitor's firmware (in this case the g-sync module's firmware) applies very specific checks to the timings. If vertical total or pixel clock are outside the range where ULMB is allowed, it will disable ULMB.

For monitors where this works, the trick here is that we're using timings where pixel clock and vertical total are very similar to ULMB-enabled refresh rates, even though we're using 60Hz. This tricks the firmware into allowing ULMB. Whether this is just an undocumented feature or we're exploiting a firmware bug, we don't really know.

One thing though: have you tried researching whether the games you play can be configured to disable the 60FPS lock? Look for those game on:

https://pcgamingwiki.com

Many 60FPS-locked games have a way to disable the lock.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 10:53

checking if there is an FPS cap is the first thing I do.

Unfortunately lots of the japanese games or indie have their gameplay timings all related to the 60fps thing so its fixed

Also, with regards to how it works, what happens when I restart the driver - does that mean that:

me being at 85hz ULMB should now have changed to 60hz ULMB automatically but we are now tricking the monitor to think its still 85hz,

or do I need to still change to 60hz but because we have the right vertical & pixel ratio ULMB shouldnt turn off?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Apr 2018, 11:48

rasseru wrote:Also, with regards to how it works, what happens when I restart the driver
Restarting the driver is done in order to let the driver see the modified 60Hz mode.
me being at 85hz ULMB should now have changed to 60hz ULMB automatically but we are now tricking the monitor to think its still 85hz, or do I need to still change to 60hz but because we have the right vertical & pixel ratio ULMB shouldnt turn off?
Restarting the driver makes it see the new, modified 60Hz mode. You of course need to switch to that new mode. It's best to disable ULMB prior to that. That is:

* Disable g-sync.
* Do NOT enable ULMB.
* Switch to 120Hz.
* Modify the existing 60Hz mode in CRU.
* Restart the driver or reboot.
* Switch to 60Hz.
* Enable ULMB.

Also, the monitor's OSD might not show 60Hz. It might show 85 or 100 or 120, because the firmware might think you're in a higher refresh mode. But if you run a game that's not FPS locked and enable vsync, then you should see it maxes out at 60FPS, which means the refresh rate really is 60Hz.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 12:03

Both monitors turn off ULMB when using the 60hz mode.... no idea what to do here

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 08 Apr 2018, 12:16

is there any monitors with native 60hz ULMB working properly? I would be up for trying one of those out to see if its worth it for me.

I really like the Asus 1440p panel, it looks a lot better than the 1080p acer - but - for 60fps locked games maybe not as good as it could - maybe I can pick up a cheap ebay monitor just for the 60hz strobed mode