How do I enable 60hz ULMB?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How do I enable 60hz ULMB?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2018, 21:20

The ULMB 60 Hz hack is an advanced user hack. It has worked on the 240Hz GSYNC monitors most reliably.

There are no cheap 60Hz strobed monitors available. Manufacturers very rarely enable 60 Hz strobing because it flickers a lot like a 60 Hz CRT. Currently, the only 60 Hz non-ULMB options are the BenQ XL2411, XL2420 and XL2720 (but not the newer Zowies) which officially supports the 60 Hz single-strobe mode -- and supports the Blur Busters Strobe Utility (http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility) ... However, the BenQ/Zowies still needs tweaking too (of a different kind).

Question: If you were unable to get the 60Hz ULMB hack working, can you make a screenshot of the final timings screen so I can verify all numbers are correct? If one of the complex numbers is off by just 1, that can mean the difference between it working and it not working. It is extremely sensitive and fiddly. So the best thing to do (if you want to see if we can give a last-try on your existing monitors first), is to do a screenshot of your ToastyX CRU mode for the 1080p.

Then we can inform you if there is something wrong with the numbers. Several of us here understand the Porches, Sync, Totals, and other numbers so it might be a good idea to make a screenshot. So we can see if we can help (no guarantees, but it would save you from returning the monitor, if we immediately recognize something is off in ToastyX CRU. Let the experts diagnose the numbers you see in ToastyX.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2018, 21:22

rasseru wrote:Also, maybe I can try taking the 120hz mode and just halving the numbers, maybe that will work better?
It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. RealNC is correct.

But, on another topic:
Some software have a software-based black frame insertion.
For example, MAME and WinUAE has a software black-frame-insertion mode.
This converts 120Hz strobing to 60Hz strobing by blacking-out every other refresh cycle (and essentially blocking the unwanted strobe as a result).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 08 Apr 2018, 23:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The ULMB 60 Hz hack is an advanced user hack. It has worked on the 240Hz GSYNC monitors most reliably.

There are no cheap 60Hz strobed monitors available. Manufacturers very rarely enable 60 Hz strobing because it flickers a lot like a 60 Hz CRT. Currently, the only 60 Hz non-ULMB options are the BenQ XL2411, XL2420 and XL2720 (but not the newer Zowies) which officially supports the 60 Hz single-strobe mode -- and supports the Blur Busters Strobe Utility (http://www.blurbusters.com/strobe-utility) ... However, the BenQ/Zowies still needs tweaking too (of a different kind).

Question: If you were unable to get the 60Hz ULMB hack working, can you make a screenshot of the final timings screen so I can verify all numbers are correct? If one of the complex numbers is off by just 1, that can mean the difference between it working and it not working. It is extremely sensitive and fiddly. So the best thing to do (if you want to see if we can give a last-try on your existing monitors first), is to do a screenshot of your ToastyX CRU mode for the 1080p.

Then we can inform you if there is something wrong with the numbers. Several of us here understand the Porches, Sync, Totals, and other numbers so it might be a good idea to make a screenshot. So we can see if we can help (no guarantees, but it would save you from returning the monitor, if we immediately recognize something is off in ToastyX CRU. Let the experts diagnose the numbers you see in ToastyX.
Chief,
That discontinued Dell 60hz OLED monitor strobes at 60hz and at 75hz. But ahem...no one can buy it anymore :)
I wanted to ask that user with the XL2735 if he could 'trick the monitor into strobing at 60hz by using a vertical total designed for 60hz refresh rate (at a higher resolution). But such a trick, if it worked, should also work for the XL2546 and XL2540. I guess I'll ask in there.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2018, 23:56

Falkentyne wrote:I wanted to ask that user with the XL2735 if he could 'trick the monitor into strobing at 60hz by using a vertical total designed for 60hz refresh rate (at a higher resolution). But such a trick, if it worked, should also work for the XL2546 and XL2540. I guess I'll ask in there.
A nice thought (I wish) but....
I'm pretty certain it won't succeed on the XL2540 / XL2546.
The use of Large Vertical Totals doesn't seem to lower the single-strobe frequency on BenQ Zowie monitors.

The way the strobe firmware is written, makes the 60Hz ULMB hack, very ULMB-specific. ULMB is a non-custom-Hz-capable strobing feature, while the BenQ/Zowie is much more flexible-Hz but they trigger double strobing at lower Hz.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 09 Apr 2018, 03:47

My numbers are exactly the same as the ones on the guide you gave,

2123 V-lines,
60.04hz,
346.50mhz,

am using a geforce 1080.

pg278q 'R' model over displayport, tried with overclocking on and off

exactly the same! :lol: i've tried yours and realNC different method, i;'ve tried multiple resolutions as starting points.

Oh, I am sometimes getting an 'dont have administrative rights' when trying to change the monitor hz mode through the display adapter window

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 09 Apr 2018, 04:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote: One theoretical possibility is that PG278QR isn't compatible with the ULMB 60Hz hack
We had a PM conversation a day after this. And yes, everything works fine in the Asus PG278QR, which is my monitor. It can single strobe from 37Hz to 127Hz. For single strobing with ULMB+G-Sync, the more reliable range is 40-125fps (so have 125Hz as the chosen refresh rate).

Note to Nvidia users: I tried the CRU method (I use the Nvidia Control Panel instead most of the time), and Windows showed both 59Hz (the already existing 59.95Hz refresh rate) and 60Hz (the new ULMB one), but the Nvidia Control Panel just showed 60Hz and using it chose the non ULMB one. I created a 48Hz refresh rate in CRU and that was different enough for the NCP to show it properly. If you do 60Hz that way, make sure you select it in the Windows options.

Note 2: in the PG278QR, the extension block has one free slot. Don't use it, because it will invalidate all your other modified refresh rates, if you modified them. Do the 85Hz modifying method. Or just use the Nvidia Control Panel with custom resolutions (mostly not compatible with DSR though).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 09 Apr 2018, 05:26

masterotaku wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: One theoretical possibility is that PG278QR isn't compatible with the ULMB 60Hz hack
We had a PM conversation a day after this. And yes, everything works fine in the Asus PG278QR, which is my monitor. It can single strobe from 37Hz to 127Hz. For single strobing with ULMB+G-Sync, the more reliable range is 40-125fps (so have 125Hz as the chosen refresh rate).

Note to Nvidia users: I tried the CRU method (I use the Nvidia Control Panel instead most of the time), and Windows showed both 59Hz (the already existing 59.95Hz refresh rate) and 60Hz (the new ULMB one), but the Nvidia Control Panel just showed 60Hz and using it chose the non ULMB one. I created a 48Hz refresh rate in CRU and that was different enough for the NCP to show it properly. If you do 60Hz that way, make sure you select it in the Windows options.

Note 2: in the PG278QR, the extension block has one free slot. Don't use it, because it will invalidate all your other modified refresh rates, if you modified them. Do the 85Hz modifying method. Or just use the Nvidia Control Panel with custom resolutions (mostly not compatible with DSR though).

ah right, maybe this is my problem. I have the 59hz and 60hz. But i'm getting admin rights errors when trying to use the display monitor to change the HZ. I'll have another go.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 09 Apr 2018, 05:34

masterotaku wrote:

AHA! You legend. it worked! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

amazing,. Just booted Hyper light drifter and its solid. Bayonetta, solid, everythign 60hz, solid as a rock.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2018, 13:34

rasseru wrote:AHA! You legend. it worked! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

amazing,. Just booted Hyper light drifter and its solid. Bayonetta, solid, everythign 60hz, solid as a rock.
Time to update the ULMB 60 Hz Hack article to make a fix to one section (the 59-vs-60 issue).

Thank you masterotaku -- I am sending you a PM.

rasseru

Post by rasseru » 09 Apr 2018, 15:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
rasseru wrote:AHA! You legend. it worked! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

Time to update the ULMB 60 Hz Hack article to make a fix to one section (the 59-vs-60 issue).

Thank you masterotaku -- I am sending you a PM.
Yeah - and the 2nd part too, about only using one of the blocks, i'm sure that had an effect because I thought I had it working before then something happened, but there was a resolution in the top box, where it says 'detailed resolutions, 4 slots left' and when I deleted that, it works now.