Monitor that fits my wishlist?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
newmonitor81

Monitor that fits my wishlist?

Post by newmonitor81 » 08 Apr 2018, 22:24

Hi all,

Currently I'm looking for a new monitor. I have an Asus MX279H and I find that playing fast paced games on my Xbox One (Gears of War) leads to some blurry-ness and I can see some trailing with my character when moving fast. I also feel like a 27" monitor is too much for the distance that I am away from the screen and I would like to go down to 24".

What I am looking for at the moment is a gaming monitor with low blur, low input lag, and a fast response time. I am okay with it being TN if that is what I need to meet my requirements. Additionally if it's possible to future proof it for PC gaming something that is 144 Hz would be nice also. My main goal is to have a monitor that reduces blurring when moving fast on console gaming while also having low input lag.

I have had my eyes set on the Zowie RL2455T, RL2460, or XL2411P. I have seen a review for the RL2460 and it seemed good for motion blur but I'm not sure about the other two monitors. The Dell S2417DG seemed nice also but unsure on that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor that fits my wishlist?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Apr 2018, 22:52

Are you familiar with motion blur reduction feature?

If this feature is super-important, then it is an easy choice for console blur reduction:
XL2411P -- that's the only one with single-strobe 60 Hz support with Blur Busters Strobe Utility

If your priority is motion blur reduction at 60Hz, that model is currently the only one capable of achieving CRT motion clarity with console games.

However, alternatively, if you want variable refresh rate support like FreeSync or GSYNC for smoother PC gaming, you'll want to decide if it's important. TestUFO GSYNC Animation Demo -- it has the uncanny ability to remove stutters from continually changing frame rates. So whenever frame rate changes, the frame rate change does not cause a stutter. If you hate those annoying 30-to-60fps transitions, variable refresh rate really smooths that a lot on supported boxes.

Also, while not deployed yet, the newer versions of XBox One is upgradeable to FreeSync in upcoming games, so if that's also an important buying consideration, bear this in mind. Alas, that may mean giving up single-strobe 60 Hz.

FreeSync is now available on XBox One in the new software upgrade download.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

newmonitor81

Post by newmonitor81 » 09 Apr 2018, 00:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Are you familiar with motion blur reduction feature?

If this feature is super-important, then it is an easy choice for console blur reduction:
XL2411P -- that's the only one with single-strobe 60 Hz support with Blur Busters Strobe Utility

If your priority is motion blur reduction at 60Hz, that model is currently the only one capable of achieving CRT motion clarity with console games.

However, alternatively, if you want variable refresh rate support like FreeSync or GSYNC for smoother PC gaming, you'll want to decide if it's important. TestUFO GSYNC Animation Demo -- it has the uncanny ability to remove stutters from continually changing frame rates. So whenever frame rate changes, the frame rate change does not cause a stutter. If you hate those annoying 30-to-60fps transitions, variable refresh rate really smooths that a lot on supported boxes.

Also, while not deployed yet, the newer versions of XBox One is upgradeable to FreeSync in upcoming games, so if that's also an important buying consideration, bear this in mind. Alas, that may mean giving up single-strobe 60 Hz.

FreeSync is now available on XBox One in the new software upgrade download.
Thanks for all of the info. So is the downside to the S2417DG the fact that it does not have single-strobe 60 Hz support? How does ULMB compare to the Strobe utility? I was interested in that monitor primarily due to the higher resolution support since I was considering making the switch to the One X which supports 1440p, and it would able be nice as a PC gaming monitor in that same respect. But the main priority is the low blur and reduced input lag, resolution would be a nice bonus but not necessary.

Would the XL2411P have any flickering issues (I've come across that term being used and was curious about it)?

Additionally since the S2417DG is G-Sync enabled would it be able to take advantage of the variable refresh rate? I came across some articles which mentioned the Xbox software would be compatible with Freesync 2 monitors but nothing about G-Sync.

Lets say I do go with the XL2411P and start PC gaming, would I have issues with screen tearing on that monitor since it isn't G-Sync/Freesync? Would I be able to alleviate that by hitting 144 FPS constantly on it?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2018, 17:47

newmonitor81 wrote:How does ULMB compare to the Strobe utility?
ULMB is only for nvidia GPUs. That means a computer using an nvidia graphics card connected with DisplayPort. It doesn't work on consoles. It is extremely unlikely that nvidia would allow (let alone push for) g-sync on consoles, since they use AMD GPUs. (ULMB is a function of the g-sync module.)

What you should be looking for is a freesync monitor that can do 60Hz strobing. I'm not sure what your choices are, exactly, if there are any at all.
Lets say I do go with the XL2411P and start PC gaming, would I have issues with screen tearing on that monitor since it isn't G-Sync/Freesync? Would I be able to alleviate that by hitting 144 FPS constantly on it?
VRR (gsync/freesync) is not the only way to get rid of tearing. So no. You can use vsync to get rid of it. VRR is there to get rid of input lag, micro-stutter and tearing at the same time. But other than that, we've been using vsync since the dawn of time to get rid of tearing :) (In fact, in the very early days, everything was vsync'ed. "vsync off", and thus tearing, was something that came later once hardware got more advanced.)

Anyway, if you want to use VRR, then I'm afraid there's no monitor out there that can do that for both the xbox and an nvidia PC. This is because monitor manufacturers are not allowed to build monitors that support both freesync and g-sync. Your only option would be to use an AMD gpu on the PC. If you do that, then yes. The same monitor can do VRR (freesync in this case) with the xbox and the PC.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.