Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Re: Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Apr 2018, 03:36

"I cant go back into the bios to revert the changes or w-e then I dont know how to open my pc lol"

What? it doesn't matter if it crashes, you can still get into bios.

"But since one of my usb driver "failed/error" and games stutters more now"

I doubt it was the overclock. Also the game shouldn't stutter more and my guess it's probably not. The only way to tell is by running a benchmark and testing before/after like cinebench.

"I have not enough voltage? maybe raise from 1.300 to 1.320?"

it's literally impossible to tell with the tests you are running. The temp on idle and playing games is useless like i said before.

open

Post by open » 26 Apr 2018, 14:25

lexlazootin wrote:>Also btw prolly should have him work his way up not throw it to the high likely value. He has to test it with multiple workloads and for a decent amount of time.

But why tho.

>He could do it your way but its just more likely it will mess up and be harder for a first timer.

I gave him a voltage and a ratio to start at and keep turning it down till it's stable while running prime. if you think that's to difficult for him you must think he's really stupid.
lol i cant believe I have to explain this to you. I no longer view you as an experienced overclocker.
Throwing it to 1.3v at 4.7ghz and working your way down like you said is PRETTY likely to be unstable right off the bat.

From a quick search and multiple sources about 3/4 to 2/3 of people with a 6600k can get 4.7ghz BUT that's at 1.4v. So at 1.3v hes more likely than that to be unstable. So you are pretty likely making him hit crashing / instability right away. Also does he want to go to 1.3v? Does he want to go higher to 1.4v so he can push it to the max? Does he want to go for lower clockspeed with a safer longterm outlook? Why even make him consider all this stuff right off the bat. A week ago he was learning about the 4 core speed of his processor.

Let him start safe and test out the performance benefits with a relative voltage modifier so that it will work its way up with him. He can stop or keep going any time he wants to. And he only has to consider risk vs reward after he has experience with the benefits he will gain. That's also time for him to get familiar with watching temps. Watching his fps. Watching gpu usage so he can tell if he will gain anything from overclocking his cpu. Reading up on forums and feeling more comfortable with the whole process.

open

Post by open » 26 Apr 2018, 14:36

Bluffergod wrote:Sorry, I just didnt want to run prime95 at first..because if the pc crash during the test and I cant go back into the bios to revert the changes or w-e then I dont know how to open my pc lol

I'll download it tomorrow, its late right now im about to log off

But since one of my usb driver "failed/error" and games stutters more now, does that mean I have not enough voltage? maybe raise from 1.300 to 1.320?

what do u think, ill run the test when i can
Stuttering increasing with overclock can be the result of throttling sometimes. I would get a program like intel extreme tuning utility to see if you are hitting any throttle conditions. You can also use throttlestop but intel xtu will be easier. It can show throttling in the graph on the lower panel. You can also have it graph out your top core speed. So if you see your core speed dropping while you are playing a game that's a pretty clear sign.

These processors have current, and wattage limits. Even if you have a stable voltage to prevent crashing, you might be drawing too much current or pushing to many watts for too long. When going to the high overclocks most overclockers will push their power and current limits up a bit. No point in running 4.7ghz if you power limit throttle to 3.6ghz every once in a while. Better to go lower or if you want to take a little more risk you can up the power limits.

But no matter what it is, if you are experiencing stutters with a new overclock, the first thing you should do is watch your core speeds /throttle conditions while gaming.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Apr 2018, 22:25

>Throwing it to 1.3v at 4.7ghz and working your way down like you said is PRETTY likely to be unstable right off the bat.

That is exactly the point?! I told him to set 47 ratio keep turning down till stable? Your computer might crash when you test overclocks, that just happens, if you're scared of a crash you're just being silly. 9 times out of 10 hes going to stop by 4.5ghz but you might as well try 4.7 and 4.6 if it's free performance and it's stable?

>Does he want to go higher to 1.4v so he can push it to the max? Does he want to go for lower clockspeed with a safer longterm outlook? Why even make him consider all this stuff right off the bat.

I told him 1.3v -1.35v with a big air cooler/liquid and 1.25 - 1.3v with a smaller 212Evo like cooler. these are pretty """SaFe""" voltages and is simply not enough voltage to create any damage over the next few years.

@Bluffergod
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel- ... stics.html

Average OC 4.68 Median OC 4.70
Average Vcore 1.38 Median Vcore 1.38

Wowee, such a unbelievable overclock.

Edit:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/zard ... ng-lesson/

here you can watch a 8pack, a sponsored overclocker teach basic overclocking for someones first build. He recommends her to goto 4.8ghz with 1.3 volts on a right off the bat on a 7700k. He also say "No cpu will die at 1.3v or even degrade, no chance" :lol: It's almost EXACTLY what i'm saying, funny that