Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Re: Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Apr 2018, 00:10

open wrote:Not true. The embedded controller, the intel thermal dynamic framework, and even the operating system can chose to throttle the cpu from any number of conditions.
I've never heard of this before, it looks like it is intended for ultra small all-in-ones and ultra books. I've personally never heard of a issue with this when people try and overclock.
open wrote:Yes it is because its best to start low. The guy that didn't know what his 4 core turbo speed was isn't going to want to push 4.8ghz right away. Start low and move upward... ...If he starts with +200mhz and a light underclock he should be golden and can go from there.
Moving up can be good if you want to maybe graph the voltage wall like i did or just figure out what the best setting is for everything but this guy is super impatient and doesn't read half the posts and going up does take much longer. If you just throw it onto the max voltage you're willing to push 1.3/1.35 and then just work down you're going to find your max a lot quicker.

He's got a "gigabyte z170, H3DP or something" and "Im watercooled btw, and 2 fans" so think he's good :lol:

If you start with a undervolt and a +200mhz that's going to take forever, idk why anyone would do that.
open wrote:It honestly doesn't even matter if you use relative or absolute. Its trial and error no matter what. And I recommend relative for beginners because its easier and will take into account what voltage their processor came set to to begin with.
The mobos set the voltages and the obvious problem is the one i talked about before, when you have relative voltage it's near impossible to gain any useful information about that, every post you look up is not going to be comparable to you because you picked relative and not absolute. I could see him pushing 200mv+ only for his voltage to reach 1.45 and for him to not know because he wont properly test with prime95. If you're going to do it, just learn that your stock is around 1.2/1.25 and don't go above 1.3 unless your cooler can handle it.

98.89 etc 99.99 instead of staying at 100.00?
That's your BLCK, it does that.
But I still get stuttering in certain maps etc (cache, cuz it takes more fps) i dont understand why....my pc really shouldnt lag
If you get a adaptive sync monitor like G-Sync it will help out a lot. You computer will always 'lag' no matter what. you can make the spikes less minimal but perfect doesn't exist when you'e running uncapped framerate.
if I ¸go 4.4ghz any recommandation for static voltage to try? any classic coltage for these or 4.5ghz?
I've answered that multiple times.
My temps at 4.2 never exceed 35 degree cpu and 38 motherboard (motherboard usually around 32)
I've told you before that if you don't test with prime it's completely useless information.

open

Post by open » 22 Apr 2018, 11:07

Mobos set voltage when they come with overclocking enabled and when you set them up to yourself. Otherwise its common to get machines with same mobo same proc but different voltages at the same speed. If youre going to recommend he throw his voltage up to 1.3 then at least reccomend him a damn speed to try. You say its going to be faster but he could try 3.8ghz or he could try 4.8ghz. He doesnt know what the f hes doing and you certainly arent helping. Relative is always easier and faster because the cpu will still raise its voltage depending on core speed. He could take my advice and start with a rock solid option and work his way up or he could take yours and start god knows where and probably end up crashing and wondering why right away. Or he could end up running 1.3 volts at a marginal overclock and never even know hes doing anything wrong. Then he stresses his processor and gets nothing for it.

Also you talk about cheapo boards but you deny embedded controller throttling. Yeah I would not take any advice from you.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 22 Apr 2018, 11:49

I did tell him a frequency to try, he just ignored the whole post.
If you want to do it properly use Prime95 and a real monitoring app like HWinfo. Idk what cooler you have but if it's a big air cooler or water cooler you can use 1.3v to 1.35v and if you're using 212Evo maybe stick to 1.25-1.3 and you should be able to goto around 4.7, if you crashes at 4.7 when running Prime you can just down the ratio by one and try again.

If you hit 85c+ it wont be unsafe but it will probably crash due to the instability that comes with overclocking. Lowering your voltage will also lower your temp.
I'm not denying 'embedded controller throttling' or 'intel thermal dynamic framework' I'm sure it exist i just don't understand why his system would throttle if his temps are fine? his mobo is decent enough and It looks like 'intel thermal dynamic framework' is for small all in ones and tablets like i said eailer, i'm not sure why you think i'm denying it :\

open

Post by open » 22 Apr 2018, 13:30

Whatever bro hes at 1.2v auto at 4ghz. He will for sure break 1.3v WITH a -100mv undervolt by 4.7ghz AND the relative undervolt will keep him at appropriate voltages if he decides to stop earlier and on the way up. Again its easier and more precise. And you DID advise him that all he had to worry about was tjmax on cpu and maybe vrm related throttling. You didnt know about or mention anything else. And probably thats fine but dont try to negate me for just giving him good advice and you dont know anything about it :/ Also btw prolly should have him work his way up not throw it to the high likely value. He has to test it with multiple workloads and for a decent amount of time. He could do it your way but its just more likely it will mess up and be harder for a first timer. So thats fine give him your advice but dont try to argue and negate others just because you think yours is better when its probably not for someone who is just learning about overclocking from this thread.

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 23 Apr 2018, 03:06

4.2 ghz @ 1.248 max it goes atm

il eventually try to go for like 4.4 or 4.5

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 23 Apr 2018, 05:27

>Also btw prolly should have him work his way up not throw it to the high likely value. He has to test it with multiple workloads and for a decent amount of time.

But why tho.

>He could do it your way but its just more likely it will mess up and be harder for a first timer.

I gave him a voltage and a ratio to start at and keep turning it down till it's stable while running prime. if you think that's to difficult for him you must think he's really stupid.

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 25 Apr 2018, 23:35

Ok I have overclocked from 4.2ghz on auto voltage TO ----> 4.4ghz at 1.300 volt

Hwmonitor and cpu-z tells me im using 1.284 voltage while gaming peak....seems my voltage is fine

I have around 25C cpu 27 motherboard on youtube
Around 35-42 degree CPU while gaming

Now I have alot more fps in all the games but I have way more stuttering in-game than at 4.2 auto
PUBG runs smoother, couple freezes there and there (at 4.2 i dont get freezes, only small stutters or lag from fps drops)

CSGO at 4.4 runs alot worse....im getting 300-500 fps and im getting crazy fps drops even tho im using 4:3 res and all lowest settings
big freezes for 2-3 seconds sometimes

Do I need more voltage?
Note: When I overclocked and loaded my cpu (it disconnected my HEADSET, I had to replug 3x and it didnt work...then I changed USB slot and it worked.....not sure if that has anything to do with anything?!?)

let me know.
and yeah i will try to do the stress test thing but which programs do I need again? and if it freeze or anything, can I go back in bios or do I have to go inside the pc and reset the motherboard or w-e? (saw that somewhere i believe)

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 26 Apr 2018, 01:03

Well seems a driver for my usb port got fucked, so I fixed the driver in device manager and restarted and now it works again

Do I have too much voltage or not enough perhaps?

CSGO runs better now, pubg laggier

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 26 Apr 2018, 02:22

guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download

You want to run custom and in Min/Max FFT you want to type 1344 and run FFT size to 15

If you freeze or crash you need to either raise voltage or lower ratio. The benefits start to run out quick above 1.35volts~ as it will generate a lot more heat.

But you seriously need to pay attention to what people are writing. I've answered all if these things in this thread before, you just ignore them. You can't help someone who can't help themselves.

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 26 Apr 2018, 02:51

Sorry, I just didnt want to run prime95 at first..because if the pc crash during the test and I cant go back into the bios to revert the changes or w-e then I dont know how to open my pc lol

I'll download it tomorrow, its late right now im about to log off

But since one of my usb driver "failed/error" and games stutters more now, does that mean I have not enough voltage? maybe raise from 1.300 to 1.320?

what do u think, ill run the test when i can