Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Bluffergod

Re: Is my turbo boost on?

Post by Bluffergod » 18 Apr 2018, 21:43

I am using speccy bro while playing pubg, I alt tab out real quick to check temps

My mobo is a gigabyte z170, H3DP or something
Psu is corsair 650W 80+

at 4.00GHz right now, wont go more atm

But yeah at 4.00ghz right now on idle kindof, it says cpu at 22 degree
22-23, sometimes goes to 26 and goes bakc down

lexlazootin

Re: Is my turbo boost on?

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Apr 2018, 21:57

Speccy is useless, it's been wrong in the past. you need something like HWinfo. Also those temps are pretty much idle and won't tell you if you're stable or anything useful.

Also you just OCed and you're reporting lower temps...

If you want to do it properly use Prime95 and a real monitoring app like HWinfo. Idk what cooler you have but if it's a big air cooler or water cooler you can use 1.3v to 1.35v and if you're using 212Evo maybe stick to 1.25-1.3 and you should be able to goto around 4.7, if you crashes at 4.7 when running Prime you can just down the ratio by one and try again.

If you hit 85c+ it wont be unsafe but it will probably crash due to the instability that comes with overclocking. Lowering your voltage will also lower your temp.

Bluffergod

Re: update on my cpu overclock topic

Post by Bluffergod » 19 Apr 2018, 02:37

My game is alot less laggy and stuttery in pubg tho now..

4.00 GHz
Auto voltage (says 1.224 in HWMonitor) im not sure if that changes while gaming, havnted looked

Going to upgrade to 4.2GHz tomorrow

Bluffergod

Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Post by Bluffergod » 19 Apr 2018, 11:18

On 4.2 GHz now

Csgo runs almost perfect now, few fps drops lag there and there but nothing like before

pubg still stutter on and off

My vcore with HWmonitor says 1.245
Temps dont really go above 38 for cpu maxxx when gaming for an hour
Gpu around 64 max
Motherboard reach like 39 sometimes ish max but on average around 34-35

Honestly probably got some hardware broken but so hard to tellwhat cause stutter and this crazy cpu usage in pubg
well, In csgo I have 80-100% cpu usage and like 2% gpu usage and still no lag (csgo doesnt use ur gpu)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is my turbo boost on? [CPU Overclocking]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2018, 20:45

It's good that it's helping fix the stutter issues.

I've merged two threads & renamed topic title to make it easier to track the same topic.

Just so you know,
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mello

Post by mello » 20 Apr 2018, 11:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It's good that it's helping fix the stutter issues.
The well known fact is that you can try to mask stutter and lag issues simply by getting more fps, getting less fps drops (by tightening the fps variance) and improving overall min fps. It is not exactly addressing the main issue (whatever it is), its just masking the problem, and making it appear to be less severe. I just wanted to point that out, because i think it is important. Same with prescription drugs, they will mask the problem by making it less noticeable and severe, but the root cause of problem will not be addressed.

He shouldn't have any problems in csgo in first place, even with fpsmax 100 / fpsmax 128, on his current pc setup. PUBG is a completely different beast, because of different engine/netcode and number of players, so 100 players at the same time and even more on special events (200 players recently i think ?) and overall poor optimization for this game. BUT at the same time, PUBG patches are solid in my opinion, and developers have made a lot improvements related to lag issues in this game. Still its far from perfect or being close to optimal performance (in comparison to other games) but i haven't really noticed that PUBG patches have broken the game or made it worse.

Bluffergod should really focus on stability tests on his PC, lexlazootin has made a great suggestion, he should stress CPU/GPU/RAM and see how stable his PC is and if there are any problems with extreme scenarios. SSD as a system drive is also a must IMO, it might help in some cases to get rid of stutter in certain games/usage scenarios. And somewhere down the road, he should buy a hyper-threaded processor, this alone also helps with stutter/lag in certain games/usage scenarios.

open

Post by open » 20 Apr 2018, 14:37

Each intel processor has a turbo speed that is used depending on how many cores are active. Or at least they used to post the 1 core, 2 core, 3 core, and 4 core turbo speed of each processor. With newer ones like yours they don't but you can still find out online. From a quick search it looks like the 4 core turbo speed for the 6600k is 3.6ghz. So under decent usage your cpu will run at ABOUT 3.6ghz. In reality that number often comes out looking like 3.57ghz.

So one reason for not reaching 3.9ghz could just be that you are now using more cores. You are playing different games. Maybe you have some extra background software that is using more of the cpu. BIOS / embedded controller firmware / cpu microcode can also affect the turbo behavior. For example one bios put out by my manufacturer locks me to my 4 core turbo speed all the time. It literally wont go up to its 1 core turbo speed with that bios.

Another reason that it might go to a lower turbo bin is heat. But it looks like your cpu is VERY cool. If it is indeed running at 40c under load that is insanely cool. These cpus will be in throttling territory at around 90c and at 100c they HEAVILY throttle or shut down to protect themselves. Some systems will have the cpu throttle at lower temps even as low as 70c but 80c or higher is more common.

If you are running the cpu at 80c that may be a bit hot and 90c is to be strongly avoided. Many gaming systems do fine in the 70-80c range so that is not too much of a concern. It could be cooler but is probably ok there.

Power consumption can be a big reason to throttle as well.

I would download "intel extreme tuning utility" if you are more interested in observing and or tweaking the speed your processor runs at. On the basic level you can set it up to graph your core clockspeed, cpu temp, voltage ect... You can have throttling conditions come up right on the graph for example you can have temp throttling and current throttling be an element that shows up and this can be a pretty clear indication of what is going on.

If you WANT to you can also adjust your relative voltage modifier. The cpu can run on lower voltage. If you go to low it won't cause damage to your cpu but it will make your game / computer crash and then you have to reboot and try using a less aggressive undervolt. This can make your cpu run at lower temps and draw less power. Look up what is common for 6600k on overclocking sites for what undervolts are common for 6600k. For the 6th gen i7s most people can go from -100mv to -150mv. This equates to about a 10% reduction in energy useage and heat. I would start low and work your way up slowly. If your game crashes when it didn't before then you probably went too far and can dial it back.

You can also change your cpus turbo bins. You processor is a k variant so it is fully overclockable. With your low temps you should be able to push it up to 3.7 - 3.8 no problem as long as you are actually running that cool and not drawing too much power it should be super stable at 3.8 with 4 cores running. 3.8ghz for 4 cores will not damage your system to try but it may end up being too hot for long term and if it uses too much power and throttles then you are not even getting 3.8ghz anyway so there's no point to overclocking.

For higher overclocks and changing more advanced settings I would go to an overclockers site and look up what is safe. You can do alot in intel xtu and if you put your voltage too low or your turbo bins too high the system can reboot and recover no problem. But for higher overclocks you will want to see what other people are getting and not go higher than that. Its pointless to try something that will just never work and also if say you put it up to 6ghz you could maybe even damage it pretty quickly.

For a final note there is a thing called speed shift on the 6th gen processors that is not enabled by default. Instead of using speed step (which lets windows switch between turbo bins) you can use speed shift which lets the processor switch between 1,2,3, and 4 core turbo bins by itself. As you can imagine the processor itself is much faster than windows and you can end up with more time in your 1 core 3.9ghz turbo bin. If you are interested it can be done with throttlestop. Anyways tho im tired of typing let me know if you want to try speed shift and I'll put some directions here.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Apr 2018, 01:28

Some systems will have the cpu throttle at lower temps even as low as 70c but 80c or higher is more common.
The cpu is the one that decides whether or not it throttles, TjMAX is often set to 90-100c, if it's throttling before that then it's most likely the VRMs on the Mobo not able to keep up with the constant high load.
If you are running the cpu at 80c that may be a bit hot and 90c is to be strongly avoided.
In what workload? If you're getting 80-90 while gaming then you'r cpu cooler is probably complete garbage because you should never hit that under gaming load. that means if you want to do anything real load like x264/Rendering/Computational work you are going to throttle or crash pretty quickly.

But if you're running Linpack, 90c/throttling can be completely expected. Not a completely fair comparison since it's pretty much a power virus.
If you WANT to you can also adjust your relative voltage modifier.
I personally don't recommend "relative voltage" because sometimes it doesn't tell you what the default voltage is. It's different on every motherboard and is sometimes completely random. you'll often see with GPU overclocks online "+125mv +300mhz" which is completely useless because the defaults can vary so much. Just set to 1.25 or 1.2 and work from there.
3.7 - 3.8 no problem as long as you are actually running that cool and not drawing too much power
That's sort of a joke overclock. You can run a intel stock cooler, under volt and still hit that frequency. Here is a example of a voltage vs freq graph i made last year some time for my own amusement with a CPU from 2 gens before his.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Intel is BURTALLY safe when it comes to default setting, my guess is because they don't want to hit their max TDP of 90w with default settings in any application because their is a chance it will throttle with their stock cooler or overheat the shitty VRMs or just not be stable on some of the really low end mobos and power supplies.

Also as a side not there is no "Safe voltage" or "Safe frequency" i know what many people are trying to say but everything will cause damage over time, I can't find it at the moment but there is a graph of Silicon degradation over time with different voltages and you need to push a lot of voltage 1.45 to get a degradation of 100mhz after 1 year which i doubt his cooling can handle.

If you want to run a safe voltage just turn your PC off and never turn it back on :)

Bluffergod

Post by Bluffergod » 21 Apr 2018, 13:25

Last question

In task manager it says 4.18 ghz and goes to 4.19 ghz sometimes

Thats because the base clock is set to auto and it varies to like 98.89 etc 99.99 instead of staying at 100.00? is it better to let it static? or w-e u call that

I tried to go 4.4 ghz on auto but the computer didnt open
At 4.3 on auto the computer wasnt stable

4.2ghz on auto is good but I still am lagging there and there but much less than at 3.5ghz
Even csgo...now games is super smooth gtx 1070...350+ average fps

But I still get stuttering in certain maps etc (cache, cuz it takes more fps) i dont understand why....my pc really shouldnt lag, i got a beast kinda minus my cpu but overclocked should be good enough for any games on low settings with no lag unless its some crazy game

My voltage on auto goes max 1.248 at 4.2ghz

if I ¸go 4.4ghz any recommandation for static voltage to try? any classic coltage for these or 4.5ghz?
My temps at 4.2 never exceed 35 degree cpu and 38 motherboard (motherboard usually around 32)

Im watercooled btw, and 2 fans

open

Post by open » 21 Apr 2018, 21:25

lexlazootin wrote: The cpu is the one that decides whether or not it throttles, TjMAX is often set to 90-100c, if it's throttling before that then it's most likely the VRMs on the Mobo not able to keep up with the constant high load.
Not true. The embedded controller, the intel thermal dynamic framework, and even the operating system can chose to throttle the cpu from any number of conditions. 6th gen is much better but if you look at some of the 4th gen implementations of mobos and cpus for example the throttling conditions are insane and alot more common. Especially on certain bios revisions. It should be a crime to ship systems with some of the throttling conditions they had. I personally recommend never installing the thermal dynamic framework drivers. I've seen them create too many problems to ever recommend and have heard the same that you simply don't need them on many forums.
lexlazootin wrote: In what workload? If you're getting 80-90 while gaming then you'r cpu cooler is probably complete garbage because you should never hit that under gaming load. that means if you want to do anything real load like x264/Rendering/Computational work you are going to throttle or crash pretty quickly.

But if you're running Linpack, 90c/throttling can be completely expected. Not a completely fair comparison since it's pretty much a power virus.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.... You wouldn't expect the cpu to get that hot in game. That's why its important to let him know that above 80c could be a strong indication that his cooling solution is less than optimal...... It's not going to break his cpu right off the bat but if you really care about your cooling and longevity of your cpu then you should probably do something if your cpu is above 80c in game. Also it CAN depend on the game. Overwatch for example can put a pretty heavy load on the cpu and if you manage to get instant back to back games for a few hours it can actually be a respectable temperature load.
lexlazootin wrote:That's sort of a joke overclock. You can run a intel stock cooler, under volt and still hit that frequency. Here is a example of a voltage vs freq graph i made last year some time for my own amusement with a CPU from 2 gens before his.
Yes it is because its best to start low. The guy that didn't know what his 4 core turbo speed was isn't going to want to push 4.8ghz right away. Start low and move upward. He needs to learn how to watch his peak temps as he games and work his way up to high overclocks. Stability due to overclock and voltage can be a pain to test if you don't know what you are doing and start out with high modifications in each area. If he starts with +200mhz and a light underclock he should be golden and can go from there.
lexlazootin wrote:I personally don't recommend "relative voltage" because sometimes it doesn't tell you what the default voltage is. It's different on every motherboard and is sometimes completely random. you'll often see with GPU overclocks online "+125mv +300mhz" which is completely useless because the defaults can vary so much. Just set to 1.25 or 1.2 and work from there.
It honestly doesn't even matter if you use relative or absolute. Its trial and error no matter what. And I recommend relative for beginners because its easier and will take into account what voltage their processor came set to to begin with. You have the differences between generations as well as the variance in default voltage from chip to chip. For 6th gen start around -100mv and if you are stable you can push it further if you are not stable dial it back.
lexlazootin wrote: Intel is BURTALLY safe when it comes to default setting, my guess is because they don't want to hit their max TDP of 90w with default settings in any application because their is a chance it will throttle with their stock cooler or overheat the shitty VRMs or just not be stable on some of the really low end mobos and power supplies.
Yeah pretty much.